The Dark Sorcerer [PS4]

I can't give a definition of that, but I don't like how much control (or lack of control) I have in QD games. That's the reason their games look so good at points. David Cage should become a scenewriter or director, I don't like him as a game designer.

Because you can't define what's a real game.

Devil May Cry (or Bayonetta) + open world + coop + MMO + leaderboards

So just walking around & mushing random buttons when you get close to someone is your idea of what a real game is? so all the people who like things like Words With Friends ,Ruzzle & so on are not playing games?
What if someone feel like what you just called a real game is just a button musher & don't really take any intellectual skills so it's not a real game?

Adventure game genere covers a lot of play styles, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Quantic Dream gameplay style. Telltalle created "game of the year" with the Walking Dead, and the only thing they have different is that they moved character movement from direct control to point and click, and used different UI.

I cant wait for Beyond, and of past tech demo history of QD is true, their nextgen game will look even better than this.

When will they show full 12 minute footage?

Dude thats amazing. The water effects on his face too. And funny :D

Unbelievable facial expressions

Well unfortunately this is nothing more than an amazing real time tech demo showing the console's capabilities.
How much I d wish if at the end they surprised with some real time gameplay looking that good :)

Dude thats amazing. The water effects on his face too. And funny :D

Unbelievable facial expressions

I could imagine that a company like Laa-Yosh's could start working on real-time and in-game cinematics with this kind of power? It's quite the difference ... !

So just walking around & mushing random buttons when you get close to someone is your idea of what a real game is? so all the people who like things like Words With Friends ,Ruzzle & so on are not playing games?
What if someone feel like what you just called a real game is just a button musher & don't really take any intellectual skills so it's not a real game?

I was just kidding. I think a lot of people think real games are ones that require a lot of input and skill. But I happen to agree with you, a game is a game. And if the graphics are amazing only because the environment is limited, that doesn't take anything away from its technical accomplishments.

Some more info:

In the current demo, there are about a million polygons in the set, and a little less than a million per character on the screen (i.e. a total of 4 million when the three characters are on the screen). Each character has about 350 MB of textures and about forty different shaders. It’s all managed with Physically Based Shaders, volumetric lights, full HDR, Color Grading, Physical Lenses (particularly useful for chromatic aberrations and 3D depth of field), and translucence for more realistic rendering of the skin. The change of set and all the lighting (and the behavior of the shaders) between the dramatic version of the set and the “studio” version is done in real time. The same holds true for all pyrotechnical particle effects.

More at the link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/11/the-dark-sorcerer-a-next-gen-comedy/

The PS4 engine used for Dark Sorcerer is only in its first iteration, and most of the features scheduled for the final version of the engine haven’t yet been implemented. This demo is only a first test that is well below the visual quality we hope to achieve in our next game.
HOLY MOLLY sweet Jesus.
And 1million poly character is just ridiculously freaky!

I could imagine that a company like Laa-Yosh's could start working on real-time and in-game cinematics with this kind of power? It's quite the difference ... !

It looks great, don't get me wrong, but the stuff we do just can't work with this engine.

Our scenes are still more detailed in terms of geometry, texture sizes, and number of assets. May I point out the hundreds of characters in WatchDogs city shots? Individually modeled bricks in the wall, or the pieces of the ships in AC4 and so on.
We can use a divide and conquer principle here as we don't have to render everything at once, we can composite layers of stuff together in 2D.
So, most of our assets are made to very different specs, we can actually model a lot of stuff that a game would still replace with normal maps.

The lighting and shadows is all raytraced using the same methods, there are no separate elements like pre-calculated GI and shadows mixed with realtime lights and shadow maps or anything. This gives a huge quality jump that's very hard to match, and you can still see this difference.

Also, we don't need to compromise in image quality, we can calculate a lot of samples for each pixel, unlike games which have very little supersampling AA, if any at all.

We can also do offline processing for physics simulations like cloth, hair, and any kind of FX. We're not limited by how much processing power is available for 1/30th of a second, and we can take shortcuts because we only need stuff to work for the camera.

So, again, this is a very good looking demo, the tech is impressive and the results are of a very high quality level. It will also make us work even harder to try to differentiate our work from ingame graphics and keep a competitive edge.

But the engine still takes a lot of shortcuts, uses approximations or replaces systems with 'fake' solutions, and compromises image quality so that it can run in real time. Some of these trade-offs impose limits on asset production workflows and standards too. It still can not be used to create the trailers that we're asked to produce, at the complexity and quality levels expected from us (and Blur and Axis and the others).

We can also do offline processing for physics simulations like cloth...

OT: Talking about it Laa-Yosh. This is the only thing I noticed in the trailer of your company. When the guys walked over the street, the camera zooms a bit out and you can see his trench coat/jacket...the movement of the cloth appeared to be a bit stiff for my taste and was noticeable. Do you agree, or am I wrong? If so, can you explain the reason for this? Btw...most impressive moment for me: when he uses the elevator and you see his nose shimmering a bit red due to the lightning...crazy!

I watched the full trailer now. For me, the third guy in the devil costume...looked astounding good. Somehow he looked best to me, maybe also because only part of his face could be seen, no hair and so on.

About the tec details: isn't 1 million polys...really super astounding? Is this to be expected this generation? I do not think so, right? Maybe we get 100-200k polys for characters...but 1 million sounds extreme!

It would be interesting to know how much time it took to make this trailer. I mean...from the perspective of a game...this was like 10 minutes of content, a game should be 10 hours plus! How are the related costs? How long does it take to get swuch a fidelity? What about consistency? Can you maintain this throughout every asset in your game?

I haven't really seen that many wrongs with the cloth simulations in that movie... However, it's true that sometimes a shot has to be approved even if we're not completely happy with it. E3 is an unmovable deadline after all.

1 million polygons are for scenes where only a few characters are present, don't expect it in an open world.
And don't expect it for a cast of 300 characters either... Unless someone's willing to pay all the artists, of course.

There are moments with the stylised photography where it approaches photorealism, and it doesn't render as good as many older game CGIs. The lip-sync issues really break it though. Dunno if that's the YouTube version if is the face models aren't accurate enough.

Thing is, for a real game you want the models to be procedurally animated. If the in-game graphics are recorded live-actions, and you're aiming for photorealism, you may as well just record real video footage. It'll look better and play exactly the same. Photorealism in models for acting purposes needs to be adaptable so you can save all the effort of recording 100 hours of video and set up virtual actors to play virtual roles. So fundamentally, I'm not sure what this tech demo is really showcasing regards games, other than in-game cut-scenes can be great quality, but you'll then have typical in-game motion and control looking like a computer game.

Back