Business Approach Comparison Sony PS4 and Microsoft Xbox

More than likely Sony is probably going to have more units. Given what we know MS probably is probably going to have a bigger chip which means Sony will have a yield and chip volume advantage per wafer.

And Sony is a CE company who launches way more hardware products than once ever 4-8 years. This is where Sony should have a definitive advantage here.

Unless Sony has lost its touch, I can't imagine MS having more units.

It also depends on the scope. Sony should not be launching with 3 OSes as far as we know.

You guys can believe what you want, but the evidence shows that MS is further along than Sony.
What does 'further along' mean? How does that relate to having more units to sell at launch? Ms could have 1000 demo units now and Sony zero, but if Sony are making PS4's faster over the next two months, they could outsell MS (and vice versa).

I guess I'll never understand people's desire to form opinions based on insufficient information just because they want to. :???:

If a company has said production has started, we wont know how many are being produced until we receive figures, I'm not sure what people find to argue about that, apart from not believing what companies tell us at all.

So you are agreeing with me then? :D

Sony sent the PS4 to the FCC on June 3, and was certified in July, how much sooner is "this summer"?
Summer starts June 21. :LOL:

The FCC approval date is useless info.
- The time between the filing and the approval doesn't change the production.
- They are both extremely early for their filing, compared to previous gen.
- Supply or even yield issues for any one of the hundreds of parts, now THAT could doom the launch.

Are any of those things evidence for production?

I guess Sony will have 32 countries with 100 consoles for each then, sad.

So you are agreeing with me then? :D
No I'm not.
What do you now define as production has started?
Or are you now saying you think production has started but how many being produced is unknown? In that case, I'm glad you agree.

Anyway to me this is a conversation will go around in circles, as I don't think anything will be known until we hear about figures.

No I'm not.
What do you now define as production has started?
Or are you now saying you think production has started but how many being produced is unknown? In that case, I'm glad you agree.

Anyway to me this is a conversation will go around in circles, as I don't think anything will be known until we hear about figures.

Again you misunderstood what I was saying (and all my replies), I was not saying production had not started. I was replying to Johnny and his poor logic on how many units Sony/MS will have ready. The same thing Shifty and Mr.Fox replied to.

I never said anything about MS not being in production, I said the opposite, I said both were in production (meaning they are producing complete retail boxes).

Then you say why argue about the number of units when we don't know. I agree, Johnny was using some "facts" as evidence that MS had more units to sell; next time reply to him since you seem to disagree with him. Don't read some argument into my text that I never made.

I am pretty sure this isn't the case as I have yet to see a post about xbox one being FCC'd yet but the PS4 was done ages ago.

Feel free to believe what you like, but you're wrong. The Xbox One passed FCC certification before the PS4.

Of course passing FCC certification doesn't mean anything in regards to manufacturing quantities.

Feel free to believe what you like, but you're wrong.
No-one needs to rely on belief when it comes to facts like filing dates. A simple correction can be enough to get one to look it up on the internet. Better yet, provide a link. (Major Nelson says they have FCC approval).

On the subject of who's most ahead (a pretty pointless one), this interview with Respawn regards Titanfall at Gamescom...
Digital Foundry: You're demoing on PC. How's Xbox One coming along?

Drew McCoy: It's great. We have dev kits, tons of them. We have as many people seeing it as possible as often as possible. There are currently no visual rendering effects that aren't on Xbox One versus PC or vice-versa. Performance is always something we're going to be working on right up until we ship. I mean, the hardware's not done yet, the software's not done - our software's not done. There's tons of optimisation to do.
Thus until I see a quote saying real retail XB1's were at Gamescom, I expect they were showing on devkits (which makes more sense to me).

I guess we'll have to wait until november NPD numbers to know exactly.

I believe an MS rep posted at GAF that the units at GC were "near final spec'd units" (or something along those lines) which means they were probably devkits. Devkits look like retail units. There were many games shown on PS4 devkits too. And when both systems cleared FCC has little to nothing to do with the launch date. The PS3 cleared FCC in October 2006. And when has Pachter been right about anything?

Both PS4 and X1 day 1/launch editions are sold out at amazon.com and the the PS4 is 4th and the X1 is 7th in the "Best sellers of 2013" list. We have also heard multiple people say that gamestop has more pre-order slots available for PS4 vs X1. We also know that the PS4 is launching in 32 countries vs 13. And we know MS made so many last minute changes, like clock speeds and all the policy changes etc., while Sony hasn't changed a thing as far as we know. I personally think that Sony will ship more PS4s this holiday season.

No-one needs to rely on belief when it comes to facts like filing dates. A simple correction can be enough to get one to look it up on the internet. Better yet, provide a link. (Major Nelson says they have FCC approval).

On the subject of who's most ahead (a pretty pointless one), this interview with Respawn regards Titanfall at Gamescom...
Thus until I see a quote saying real retail XB1's were at Gamescom, I expect they were showing on devkits (which makes more sense to me).
http://www.oxm.co.uk/60960/xbox-one...-no-manufacturing-problems-insists-microsoft/
Microsoft's head of product development, Albert Penello, has said that the console's delay in some European territories is due to the complexities of localising its new voice-control features, and pointed to its use of near-final retail kits at Gamescom as proof that there are no supply problems.
Sounds like devkits to me.

Sony have sold out of its launch inventory. They simply won't waste retail units on the show floor demoes. Devkits suffice. Every single working retail units will be allocated to the customers, save for some marketing units and prototypes.

Yes having a few hundred units for game shows would seriously impact their launch capability. /sarcasm

Unless you believe they aren't able to produce very many?

Why bring any retail units to gamescom when there's no benefit in doing so? Microsoft didn't have any retail units either. Makes sense to use devkits and have every single retail unit for sale at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes having a few hundred units for game shows would seriously impact their launch capability. /sarcasm

Unless you believe they aren't able to produce very many?

Even if they can produce "very many" units, they said they are sold out of launch inventory.

If devkits suffice for game demoes, there is no reason to use retail units.

Aren't there rumors that they are giving away some retail units to Gamestop managers ? (I didn't bother to read that Gaf thread).

Why bring any retail units to gamescom when there's no benefit in doing so? Microsoft didn't have any retail units either. Makes sense to use devkits and have every single retail unit for sale at launch.

I'm only disagreeing with the reasoning. The sold out so we can't angle is complete rubbish.

I'm only disagreeing with the reasoning. The sold out so we can't angle is complete rubbish.

What's wrong with being sold out, and careful about allocation ?

Devkits work as well as retail units (and more convenient for developers to modify their software) in game shows.

Retail units work better in automated store demoes, Gamestop employees for marketing purposes; plus of course customers' home. That's why I mentioned "Every single working retail units will be allocated to the customers, save for some marketing units and prototypes."

All Xbox One are dev kits (I mean retail are devkits too).

And for "near final", maybe it is software related (I guess the OS iss not finished yet).
Who knows what that means, but it doesn't really matter either way. The fact is they're not retail units, otherwise he would have said so.

Devkits work as well as retail units (and more convenient for developers) in game shows.

Retail units work better in automated store demoes, Gamestop employees for marketing purposes; plus of course customers' home. That's why I mentioned "Every single working retail units will be allocated to the customers, save for some marketing units and prototypes."
I agree. A few hundred units is minuscule. But like any launch, they're going to be supply constrained, so saving as many retail units available for sale would be the smart thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devkits work as well as retail units (and more convenient for developers to modify their software) in game shows.

They are going to give away thousands of promotional units and ship millions, having a few for a show would be insignificant.

They are going to give away thousands of promotional units and ship millions, having a few for a show would be insignificant.

That's what you think, but perhaps not hardcore gamers on the pre-order list who don't get it day one -- especially if devkits work as well as retail units during game shows.

If it's really sold out, Sony will allocate as many retail units to the customers as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if some retail stores don't get working retail units for promo.

Back