KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

Need to try the real thing.

The AI in Knack seems pretty active and engaging.

KZSF demo AI are like dummies. They don't seem to take cover when they hear gunshots.

Also where is the multi-storey pathfinding ? Where is the flanking, and the communication and shouting between soldiers ?

It might be that all the demos we've seen so far are running on an easy setting. Perhaps the AI gets 'smarter' on harder settings?

That seemed to be the way it worked in the previous KZ series (apart from 1).

I wonder what's the most expensive part of the AI system. Vision maybe?

Run-time cost or development cost ? ^_^

In KZ2, GG claimed that their character animation is tightly integrated with the AI (to show a character's different AI states). The animation displayed a wide variety of movements depending on the context (e.g., where they were hit).

The Helghast also pathfinding up one level in the KZ2 warehouse. In KZ3, the play area is quite a bit bigger but I don't remember the Helghast flank me as often as KZ2, if at all.

In comparison, the Uncharted and TLoU AI seem more KZ2-like than KZ3.

We have had very convincing AIs in games already, especially Crysis 1 and the recent Far Cry2 and 3. I think it was FC3, where if you killed off the rest of the squad, the last guy wouldn't fight you like a robot but would instead try to run away. That was very cool to watch. I am not sure it was FC3, but it was a open world game this year.

Crysis 1 felt like the best AI to me till now, followed by KZ2. They would do everything so seamlessly, it was very hard to guess where they were when they would flank you. KZ2 also had very convincing AI with enemies finding you and flanking you wherever you may try to dig a trench. FC2 had some cool behaviours like if you shot a guy, another would come and try to take him away from the heat. FC3 , recently, had some really good adaptive AI behaviour.

BTW, if you watched all the demos of KZSF till now,they are also showing some pretty adaptive behaviour like running to cover if overpowered and flanking form the side. We will have to play the game to see how they behave as a group.

EDIT: when does the new footage go live?

Last edited by a moderator:
ITS LIVE !!!

Destructible walls, multiple points of entries into a mission, people going to have different playthroughs, also hinted at different story branches but not elaborated......stilll watching ! Bad stream quality, but the forest level is freaking jaw dropping now :oops: ! The bark on trees is like: wow ! Textuer quality is definitely much higher now than what we saw earlier.

EDIT: BTW, they have the Beyond Review in between, so if you don't want to get spoiled on that skip it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They showed the same forest level albiet improved version and just a few seconds of new scenes comprised nothing but walking across a security scan, no big battle scenes, no set pieces, no epic vistas we haven't already seen. So much for massive SP blowout..
I guess GG was trying to not reveal too much but it's not doing a good job of hyping the game up. But for a few new sequences they shown, the lighting do look amazing, very CG like.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/h2m36j/gt-tv-killzone-shadow-fall

They showed the same forest level albiet improved version and just a few seconds of new scenes comprised nothing but walking across a security scan, no big battle scenes, no set pieces, no epic vistas we haven't already seen. So much for massive SP blowout..
I guess GG was trying to not reveal too much but it's not doing a good job of hyping the game up. But for a few new sequences they shown, the lighting do look amazing, very CG like.
http://www.gametrailers.com/full-episodes/h2m36j/gt-tv-killzone-shadow-fall

KZ footage is scattered all over the episode, not just in the beginning,b ut yes mostly of crossing over to Helghan side and the Jungle level.

Im glad they did not show more. Their old "massive blowouts" for some big PS3/X360 spoiled them hard.

Btw, stream quality of GTTV is horrendous, I have feeling it was running ~20fps all the time.

I do not know, I have mixed feeling about this KZ:SF.

While I try hard to be excited by the graphic, everything seems so "already seen".
Maybe it is due to the new art style, the new halo mood / color scheme...

To me, there is nothing here that cry next-gen.
The polygons count is quite modest both in the environment and in the characters, the lighting is good but nothing mind blowing and it is not helped by the new Halo-ish colour scheme that makes everything already seen and current gen.

Maybe playing it at 1080 will make everything look way better.
I do not know, but I doubt about it.

In truth, in my eyes, there is nothing that I see in KZ:SF that could not be achieved at lower resolution.

In truth, in my eyes, there is nothing that I see in KZ:SF that could not be achieved at lower resolution.

Well yeah, it could all be done at a lower resolution. But they've got the power to do it at 1080 with the same eye candy. It's not like it's holding them back or anything.

Well yeah, it could all be done at a lower resolution. But they've got the power to do it at 1080 with the same eye candy. It's not like it's holding them back or anything.

Yes, but which scene, gameplay section, or cutscene of KZ:SF that we have seen cannot be played on PS3 or Xbox360 with lower resolution and lower texture res? Can you please just tell me 1? The scripted flight scene at the end of the launch trailer? No, not in my eyes.

To me it seems a current gen game (light, polygons count, effects) in 1080 high resolution. No more no less.
I really hope I am wrong.

Yes, but which scene, gameplay section, or cutscene of KZ:SF that we have seen cannot be played on PS3 or Xbox360 with lower resolution and lower texture res? Can you please just tell me 1? The scripted flight scene at the end of the launch trailer? No, not in my eyes.

To me it seems a current gen game (light, polygons count, effects) in 1080 high resolution. No more no less.

I know that you really want to believe this. But there is no way this game would run on a current gen console.

If you think that cutting back on texture resolution, polygon count, particle physics, lighting solution, and lots more would make this a current been game then you might be closer.

But you could say the same of every next gen game in development. None of them are doing anything new that couldn't be cut right back to fit the current gen.

You seem to be reiterating the same mantra in a hope that it'll come true. It's not going to happen. Sorry.

Perhaps you were having unrealistic expectations. This was always bound to happen at some point. Games have become so sophisticated and complex, that at some point, we are reaching dimishing returns. Newer, more powerful hardware offers more - but this difference is only visible in light of the full package - from visuals, to sound, to AI interaction and an all round slight increase in gameplay complexity.

Also, thanks to PC games already way ahead of what is being achieved on current generation hardware (PS3/360), we already had a fair idea of what to expect from the next generation. In the older days, consoles were closer matched to what was being achieved on PC, so every generational leap, the 'WOW' effect was bigger. Now, the transition is smoother, as we reach dimishing returns.

Looking at it from a different angle: We are getting an exciting new generation with easy-to-develop for hardware, hopefully more consistent framerates, better integrated online service, more HD-resolution and a higher quality of gaming across the board in boxes that will generate substantially less heat and consume less energy than what launch consoles did 8 years ago.

Sure, KZ still plays and looks like KZ (apart from the different art-direction) but here and there, there are some gems that sets it apart from what is doable on current gen. At the very least, the package as a whole is a lot better than what you can get on current gen. That to me sounds like a lot better deal than a game that has one or two 'revolutionary' new innovations but lacks in all other departments.

Back