Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

if that is correct.

Even then unless MS plans on stacking that esram and a good chunk of that ddr3 on top of the logic creating a giant LLC (ive read papers that propose such setups for hetergeneous many core processors), I can only imagine MS devoting that RAM to multi tasking (ram holding a bunch of non main game apps) which would actually lower the available ram.

8 gigs of gddr5. Whats that 352 Gbps at peak bandwidth? If the PS4 is going to make use of all that speed and amount of data, I will be a happy camper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Werll most of the specs were correct so I gues microsoft could go 16GB's of ram but they'd have a hard time showing much difference other then more multitasking..? to justify the increased cost.

I doubt they're going to spend that much money over the life of the console for what basically amounts to having a larger number on the box.

The extra 4GB in PS4 is actually useful, and it was probably something that developers petitioned Sony for.

If MS are going to burn money, they should money-hat some big name exclusives or buy out a big name developer. Even better, they should make XBL free to play.

I've got no problems with the past dualshocks. This new dualshock 4 looks funny but I'm fine with it. Happy with it as long as it handles well and is symmetric.

It kills the idea that 4 of the CUs are somehow different or physically separated from the rest like many here were speculating.

That statement is just as vague as the 14 + 4 statement. Neither statement shine a complete light on the config of the PS4. Even in an apu + discrete card set up all the CUs are available for compute or rendering regardless if they are on the discrete card or on the apu or whether the discrete gpu is a gcn2 part while the apu is still gcn based.

I still have a hard time believing that 8 jaguar cores, 18 CUs and the required level of redundancy is going to fit onto one piece of silicon.

I've got no problems with the past dualshocks. This new dualshock 4 looks funny but I'm fine with it. Happy with it as long as it handles well and is symmetric.

Yeah as long as it has the same traditional feel i am all for it. After almost 20 years there nothing more natural than the feel of a PS controller.

That statement is just as vague as the 14 + 4 statement. Neither statement shine a complete light on the config of the PS4. Even in an apu + discrete card set up all the CUs are available for compute or rendering regardless if they are on the discrete card or on the apu or whether the discrete gpu is a gcn2 part while the apu is still gcn based.

I still have a hard time believing that 8 jaguar cores, 18 CUs and the required level of redundancy is going to fit onto one piece of silicon.

What's vague about it? I said it'll have 18 symmetric CUs and no physical separation between them and that's how it is.

No one knows. I have no idea why u would want to seperate the CUs from the jag cores.

I thought the original rumors had the 8 jaguar cores + some graphics on the same chip basicly an apu and then another larger graphics chip.

Mabye I just missed something

Any reason why this can't run eyefinity? That would be something, and might even make the 8GB RAM appear like it's not complete nonsense.

I thought the original rumors had the 8 jaguar cores + some graphics on the same chip basicly an apu and then another larger graphics chip.

Mabye I just missed something

Those were older rumours. The most recent rumours threw out the Apu and GPU idea, and turned out to be true in the end it seems.

Back