PlayStation 4 (codename Orbis) technical hardware investigation (news and rumours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And those have nothing to do with having to change your entire design from 4GB GDDR5 to more. It's not a hard concept to grasp. Try to keep up with the topic.

Ok. But I think you overestimating engenering cost of memory side. I thought previous prototypes of ps4 (feb 2012) was designed with 2 GB, and then sony changed it to 4 GB (oct 2012 I think). So if design is not so final, they could change things. It's more realistic than ddr4 which is nowhere in a wild, and which production could be unpredictable in cost and supply.

Agreed.
Also, I'm sure sony have more than one prototype, so one of those could be with 6 GB one could be with another gpu. Its very risky to base all the work on one and only config.

accidentally tap "quick reply" instead of quoting acert93 post. :) Can't edit post.

Ok. But I think you overestimating engenering cost of memory side. I thought previous prototypes of ps4 (feb 2012) was designed with 2 GB, and then sony changed it to 4 GB (oct 2012 I think). So if design is not so final, they could change things. It's more realistic than ddr4 which is nowhere in a wild, and which production could be unpredictable in cost and supply.

2, 4, 8GB of GDDR5 = 256bit memory bus. 3, 6, 9 = 384bit memory bus. They'd basically have to rework the whole chip to go from 4 to 6GB. Not going to happen.

Orbis memory has shifted in the past. Orbis was "originally" rumored to have 2GB. Now 4GB.

Does anyone know for certain what the target memory for the PS4 is 4GB? And does anyone know the target memory for the PS4 is GDDR5?

Or are we still all debating dev kits and rumors? Because if that latter is the case there is no "re-engineering" going on, just maturing development kits.

I am stating the obvious because the same points about engineering costs, difficulty, costs, etc were raised when Orbis was "slated" to have 2GB and people heard rumors of "wanting 4GB." Ta da, it "now" has 4GB.

So unless one of you is a real insider you don't know Sony's target and what they designed to begin with. So meh.

On the other hand the bigger issue worth talking is GDDR5 is expensive and 8GB would require a LOT of chips. That, and not "11th hour" design changes seems more of a hurdle.

I just want to know what those 16GB devkits were used for, if they exist.

Orbis memory has shifted in the past. Orbis was "originally" rumored to have 2GB. Now 4GB.

Does anyone know for certain what the target memory for the PS4 is 4GB? And does anyone know the target memory for the PS4 is GDDR5?

Or are we still all debating dev kits and rumors? Because if that latter is the case there is no "re-engineering" going on, just maturing development kits.

I am stating the obvious because the same points about engineering costs, difficulty, costs, etc were raised when Orbis was "slated" to have 2GB and people heard rumors of "wanting 4GB." Ta da, it "now" has 4GB.

So unless one of you is a real insider you don't know Sony's target and what they designed to begin with. So meh.

On the other hand the bigger issue worth talking is GDDR5 is expensive and 8GB would require a LOT of chips. That, and not "11th hour" design changes seems more of a hurdle.

Going from 2 GB to 4 GB of GDDR5 is relatively easy. The bus width doesn't change, you just use higher density memory.

Going above 4 GB of GDDR5 means changing the bus width which means changing your memory controller which means changing your CPU design.

It isn't cheap and it isn't easy.

Regards,
SB

Going from 2 GB to 4 GB of GDDR5 is relatively easy. The bus width doesn't change, you just use higher density memory.

Going above 4 GB of GDDR5 means changing the bus width which means changing your memory controller which means changing your CPU design.

Regards,
SB

with the clamshell mode and 16bit mode of GDDR5 chip you can simulate 1GB 32bit chip with two 512MB chip (front side and back side PCB) without modify memory controller or PCB print. it seem you can double RAM capacity at the last moment

Last edited by a moderator:
According to Sweetvar in Oct, there was a 6 month delay in the production for Sony's chip at AMD. But it was still ahead of MS's at that time. So something happened, which could account for possible changes to fit a memory increase. 6 months is a long time.

I just want to know what those 16GB devkits were used for, if they exist.

My insider information tells me they were for either one of two things. The special sauce theory was:

images

The extra memory balanced the system so it would not tip over, spilling the coffee.

The more benign theory floated, which doesn't seem likely, was the Orbis devkits were used to, hold onto your hat, make games :p

Regards,
SB

Perhaps this is a silly question so excuse my ignorance but could you design a controller capable of supporting 8GB and test out 4GB and depending on performance up the ram later?

Perhaps this is a silly question so excuse my ignorance but could you design a controller capable of supporting 8GB and test out 4GB and depending on performance up the ram later?

temesgen, we don't even know if there was a SoC spun that only supported 4GB. We know there have been devkits with discrete GPU boards and rumors of lower end SoCs.

Orbis likely will have 4GB of memory, if it was designed for GDDR5, for the reasons I noted earlier. But there is no need to speculate about a revised memory controller and major changes if, indeed, the devkits were using discreet GPUs.

Like I mentioned earlier people are taking devkits (which are glorified PCs) and rumored specs and then looking at "changes" to the plan. For pete's sake, the Xbox 360 started off with some G5's and Radeon 9800 Pros and moved onto some X800s -- that doesn't mean MS "changed" the design.

temesgen, we don't even know if there was a SoC spun that only supported 4GB. We know there have been devkits with discrete GPU boards and rumors of lower end SoCs.

Orbis likely will have 4GB of memory, if it was designed for GDDR5, for the reasons I noted earlier. But there is no need to speculate about a revised memory controller and major changes if, indeed, the devkits were using discreet GPUs.

Like I mentioned earlier people are taking devkits (which are glorified PCs) and rumored specs and then looking at "changes" to the plan. For pete's sake, the Xbox 360 started off with some G5's and Radeon 9800 Pros and moved onto some X800s -- that doesn't mean MS "changed" the design.

I agree its highly unlikely the ram would be boosted if it required a redesign of hardware; that is why I am asking the question. Could a controller designed to handle 8GB work with only 4GB present on the kits?

edit: just reread - nvm my post

yes 256bit controller can support 4 or 8GB GDDR5 and devkit seem already 8GB
http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-devkits-roadmaptypes/

The dev kit likely has 8 GB of DDR3 combined with the discrete graphics card with 2 or 3 GB of GDDR5.

All 3 of those devkits in that link of yours uses a discrete graphics card. It's possible the discrete graphics card may have 4 GB of GDDR5, but I'm not sure Sony would want to pay that much for a limited run development kit. Custom firmware (as mentioned in the link) is relatively easy. Custom GDDR5 amount for a one off discrete graphics card to only be used on the pre-release dev kit would be much more costly.

Regards,
SB

The dev kit likely has 8 GB of DDR3 combined with the discrete graphics card with 2 or 3 GB of GDDR5.

All 3 of those devkits in that link of yours uses a discrete graphics card. It's possible the discrete graphics card may have 4 GB of GDDR5, but I'm not sure Sony would want to pay that much for a limited run development kit. Custom firmware (as mentioned in the link) is relatively easy. Custom GDDR5 amount for a one off discrete graphics card to only be used on the pre-release dev kit would be much more costly.

Regards,
SB

no the last devkit (named "SoC based devkit") use the final SoC and GDDR5 of course (no discrete GPU, no DDR3)

no the last devkit (named "SoC based devkit") use the final SoC and GDDR5 of course (no discrete GPU, no DDR3)

Whoops yeah, I didn't scroll down far enough.

Either way, 8 GB on the dev kit pretty much guarantee's that it'll be 4 GB on the console. If the console will be 8 GB, then the dev kit would likely need 12-16 GB for development.

And ignoring the whole what is possible. Another 4 GB of GDDR5 would add at least another 80 USD onto the BOM (at least according to the only thing we have to go by, which is AMD's BOM cost for GDDR5 in 2011). Even if it was half of that, 40 USD, that would still be too expensive, IMO. 80 USD (if GDDR5 was as cheap as 10 USD per GB) would potentially be more than 1/3 of the total BOM dedicated just to memory, assuming a targeted price point of 299 USD for the base model. 1/4 of the total BOM if 399 USD is the target for the base model.

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back