News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I chopped off last 10 seconds with MKVToolknix. No transcoding, just simple trim.

Original file is MP4 with AVC1 video stream and MP4A audio stream.

I've tested new firmware if something changed in AV department and ... no, Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Full Range still doesn't work, new forced 5.1 audio doesn't work either because output is always 7.1.
And I noticed something strange going on when Linear PCM is selected as preferred format for BR playback, Dolby True HD 5.1 was sometimes decoded as LPCM 7.1 and sometimes as 5.1, strange and not really convincing especially when you can't bitstream Dolby True HD.

What do you guys think the PS4 could do with the Crysis series? Crysis 3 specifically. I'm kind of hoping a Crysis trilogy port will come along and have me impressed with the hardware. Battlefield 4 comes close but it doesn't run brilliantly in conquest and the aliasing is awful.

I've tested new firmware if something changed in AV department and ... no, Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Full Range still doesn't work, new forced 5.1 audio doesn't work either because output is always 7.1.
And I noticed something strange going on when Linear PCM is selected as preferred format for BR playback, Dolby True HD 5.1 was sometimes decoded as LPCM 7.1 and sometimes as 5.1, strange and not really convincing especially when you can't bitstream Dolby True HD.
Meaning Limited still doesn't clip BTB/WTW? In my experience, the PS4 always outputs 'full' YCbCr, or in other words, always displays BTB/WTW. Which is not really an issue and is actually preferred. Either this setting still doesn't work properly, or I don't know what its purpose is, because technically there's no such thing as 'full' or 'limited' YCbCr. I always assumed it was the 'super-white' setting from the PS3 labeled 'YCbCr Range'.

Have to play around with the other settings.

edit: I don't know about you, but everything works as it should on my end in terms of Blu-Ray audio.

PS4 set to Bitstream (direct), result:
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 tracks output as is. Setting HDMI Audio to 5.1 or 7.1 has no effect, nor should it because that's the whole point of bitstreaming... the audio outputs as is.
-PS Dynamic Menu always outputs LPCM, so it will output 5.1 or 7.1 depending on what you have HDMI Audio set to.

PS4 set to Linear PCM, HDMI Audio 5.1 output CHECKED, result:
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 5.1 tracks get decoded to 5.1 LPCM.
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 7.1 tracks get decoded and downsampled to 5.1 LPCM
-PS Dynamic Menu outputs 5.1 LPCM

PS4 set to Linear PCM, HDMI Audio 5.1 UNCHECKED, result:
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 5.1 tracks get decoded to 5.1 LPCM
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 7.1 tracks get decoded to 7.1 LPCM
-PS Dynamic Menu outputs 7.1 LPCM

So as far as I know, everything in terms of video and audio output is working as it should, except I'm still puzzled by the YCbCr range setting.

edit2: Perhaps discovered a nice little feature with BD playback. Before the update, IIRC, if you hit the PS button, it would ask you to quit the app, forcing you to stop playback. Now you can enter the PDM without closing the BD app and resume playback when you open it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Measured the light bar on each different setting. I used a colorimeter and a spectrometer which are typically used for color calibration on displays, but they also measure luminance/light. They're probably not 100% accurate compared to a dedicated light meter, but they should be close enough. I averaged the readings with a continuous measurement between both meters.

Standard/Bright - ~37.9 candelas per squared meter (or 11.06 foot lamberts)
Medium - ~21.8 candelas per squared meter (or 6.36 foot lamberts) - 42.5% dimmer
Dim - ~11.8 candelas per squared meter (or 3.44 foot lamberts) - 68.9% dimmer

So my guesses of ~60% and ~40% lower were pretty close. :)

For comparison, generally ISF/THX calibrators calibrate flatpanel displays to have a peak white measurement of 30-35 foot lamberts for a dark home theater environment. VA LCD panels usually have a black level measurement between 0.012 - 0.014 foot lamberts. IPS LCD panels usually have a black level measurement between 0.04 - 0.05 foot lamberts.

Meaning Limited still doesn't clip BTB/WTW? In my experience, the PS4 always outputs 'full' YCbCr, or in other words, always displays BTB/WTW. Which is not really an issue and is actually preferred. Either this setting still doesn't work properly, or I don't know what its purpose is, because technically there's no such thing as 'full' or 'limited' YCbCr. I always assumed it was the 'super-white' setting from the PS3 labeled 'YCbCr Range'.

As I understand (or expect) this feature is similar to RGB Full/Limited but should work for BR playback since PS4 output BR as YCbCr.
I don't care about BTB/WTW I just want limited to be mapped to full range.

edit: I don't know about you, but everything works as it should on my end in terms of Blu-Ray audio.

If I try to bitstream Dolby True HD 5.1 my AVR doesn't recognize True HD and says only Dolby and as it looks I'm not only one with problem. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=231323&page=3
Funny thing is that everything works as it should on the PS3.

PS4 set to Linear PCM, HDMI Audio 5.1 output CHECKED, result:
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 5.1 tracks get decoded to 5.1 LPCM.
-DTS-HD MA/TrueHD 7.1 tracks get decoded and downsampled to 5.1 LPCM
-PS Dynamic Menu outputs 5.1 LPCM

I can't get 5.1 LPCM out of PS4 (AVR always detects 7.1) except one occasion when I was playing around with BR player and I can't replicate that. Again output select on PS3 works for me without single problem so I would say that problem is with PS4 not with my AVR.

Measured the light bar on each different setting. I used a colorimeter and a spectrometer which are typically used for color calibration on displays, but they also measure luminance/light. They're probably not 100% accurate compared to a dedicated light meter, but they should be close enough. I averaged the readings with a continuous measurement between both meters.

Medium - ~21.8 candelas per squared meter (or 6.36 foot lamberts) - 42.5% dimmer

So my guesses of ~60% and ~40% lower were pretty close. :)

Thanks for this measurement.

I played Second Son last night in total dark, and Dim setting was muuuuuuuuch less intrusive.

As I understand (or expect) this feature is similar to RGB Full/Limited but should work for BR playback since PS4 output BR as YCbCr.
I don't care about BTB/WTW I just want limited to be mapped to full range.
AFAIK there's no such thing as full range YCbCr in the same sense as RGB. I've never seen or heard of a device map black/white from 16/235 to 0/255 using YCbCr color space. It was my understanding that YCbCr Range opens up levels below 16 and above 235, ie the YCbCr super-white setting on the PS3, but that's apparently not the case (or it's not working properly). I don't think the purpose of the YCbCr range setting is what you're hoping it will do. I think you should hope that Sony includes an option to output RGB for Blu-Ray like the PS3 did, so that way you can use RGB Full Range for both games and Blu-Ray.

If I try to bitstream Dolby True HD 5.1 my AVR doesn't recognize True HD and says only Dolby and as it looks I'm not only one with problem. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=231323&page=3
Funny thing is that everything works as it should on the PS3.

I can't get 5.1 LPCM out of PS4 (AVR always detects 7.1) except one occasion when I was playing around with BR player and I can't replicate that. Again output select on PS3 works for me without single problem so I would say that problem is with PS4 not with my AVR.
Strange, I bitstreamed TrueHD fine on my PS4. And my PS4 outputs LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 like it should, depending what I set it to. Maybe it's some kind of handshake or communication issue with your PS4/AVR. I'm not seeing anyone at GAF complaining about the 5.1 LPCM setting either. :shrug:

Thanks for this measurement.

I played Second Son last night in total dark, and Dim setting was muuuuuuuuch less intrusive.
Np. And I agree. I saw some people at GAF saying it's not much dimmer, but it's significantly dimmer IMO. But I always play in a dark room. The dim setting doesn't bother me at all and the reflection on my plasma isn't that noticeable anymore.

my "custom" DS4 leads the way with 0 cd/m2 but I'm starting to have problems with rubber wear on left analog stick ... I see more opened Dualshocks in my future than I would like :cry:

... anyway good work on measurement

my "custom" DS4 leads the way with 0 cd/m2 but I'm starting to have problems with rubber wear on left analog stick ... I see more opened Dualshocks in my future than I would like :cry:

... anyway good work on measurement
Thanks.

Did you happen to notice any difference in battery life?

Sucks about your sticks, that seems to be a somewhat common issue, but I heard the newer batches are better. Sony should replace them under warranty. Mine are still fine fortunately. I noticed the left stick wear down a bit, but it still looks like it's in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back