News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Standard/Bright - ~37.9 candelas per squared meter (or 11.06 foot lamberts)
Medium - ~21.8 candelas per squared meter (or 6.36 foot lamberts) - 42.5% dimmer
Dim - ~11.8 candelas per squared meter (or 3.44 foot lamberts) - 68.9% dimmer
Nice!

Matching these measurements with the efficiency plot of a typical power led (they lose efficiency at higher power and heat), it's probably driven at 50% power at medium, and 25% at low.

I'm still puzzled why my own battery tests didn't match the GAF tests, and I measured real playing time. I couldn't reproduce their tests either, I got very different results. I did found a bug in the audio amplifier for the tiny speaker which left it powered on forever after it was used once, while it was left off at power on... until something makes a sound out of it. It's my only theory why my results are inconsistent with GAF. At least I have Shuhei Yoshida agreeing with me :LOL:

Totally anecdotal but I set my controller to Dim last night. Tonight been playing and I can say for sure that the battery life is better. Much better. Or maybe I'm just a crazy fool who's imagining things. Played a few hours and I still have 3 lines of charge. That didn't happen before. So there. Real hard data, folks! :yep2:

Post 1.7 both the Twitch and U-Stream clients have reduced performance for me, way longer for tiles to load and often they won't load at all. On the plus side, browsing through snapshots full screen using the shoulder buttons no longer hangs up after viewing a few images.

Cheers

Anyone else having hdmi/hdcp issues since the 1.7 update?

Since this update, my ps4 is effectively crashing my Sony projector (vpl hw 15), causing a complete emergency power cut and a red led error (3 blinks - accoarding to manual; lamp overheat). Nice, especially, since the turnoff also prevents the fan to cool down the lamp nicely.

This has happened now a total 4 times since the update (never before) and i can rule out any other inteferences.

To note:

- ps4 is connected to my AVR (Rotel RSP1570) which connects to my projector (Sony VPL HW 15)
- only crashes projector at ps4 turn on/off or when switching to ps4 source for the first time on my AVR
- CEC disabled after 2nd occurance on projector (no effect)
- disabled hdcp in ps4 after 4th occurance (still waiting to see if it solves the issue)

Not pleased. At this rate, my lamp will be dead by the excessive turn off by next week...

Anyone having similar issues?

I haven't noticed any major issues. My Friends list was completely de-populated for a day or so. But that might just be crap networking at my end.

Just found this:

http://community.us.playstation.com...I-Signal-after-Patch-1-7/td-p/43466728/page/3

Could also be "deep color" related. I think i have that enabled. Will try to disable it...

You have a couple of variables in play here. Might want to start by eliminating your AVR as a variable first and have your PS4 going straight to your projector. If the behavior is the same (issue persists) you've isolated it to your PS4 only. If it behaves properly it's probably a PS4/AVR combo issue.

I'm 99.9999% sure its ps4 only. It's the only way i can reproduce the issue and it is always ps4 associated...

I'm 99.9999% sure its ps4 only. It's the only way i can reproduce the issue and it is always ps4 associated...

Based on what you've said I think its safe to say its PS4 related and tied to the recent firmware update. The question, to me at least, is whether its just your PS4 or if the way your AVR is handling and passing on the HDMI signal/messages/HDCP/CEC to the projector contributing. There can be HDMI handshake issues, for example, contributed directly to devices in the chain not playing well with a source device for some reason. That may not be the case here, but that's the first thing I like to do (eliminate variables/links in the chain).

Good point. Well, i am now currently at 7 shutdowns so far. Very concerning since as stated, the projector shuts off and does not cool down the lamp.

The failure rate is also pretty high - over 90%, basically with every ps4 power up, so can easily be reproduced. It's also worrying, as the lamps are pretty expensive and the one inside os practically new...

Unfortunately, disabling deep color does not solve the issue.

At this point,

- hdcp disabled on ps4
- deep color disabled (was automatic before)
- both colour ranges set to limit on ps4

One other thing to note: my avr (Rotel RSP1570) only does hdmi passthrough. There's no menu overlay or filtering, inage processing or conversion being done like on many newer devices.

The error occurs when:

- projector is on, on source XBMC (anything really)
- change source to ps4
- turn ps4 on
- projector crashes within 4 seconds

It also happens when i wait 5 minutes before changing to ps4 source after i turned on the ps4. It also happens when i change source to ps4 before turning it on as well...

Strangely, once it crashed and i get the ps4 picture, i can change between sources withouth it crashing.

You are right though - i need to eliminate the AVR as a possible cause, so need to connect the ps4 directly to the projector...

Good point. Well, i am now currently at 7 shutdowns so far. Very concerning since as stated, the projector shuts off and does not cool down the lamp.

The failure rate is also pretty high - over 90%, basically with every ps4 power up, so can easily be reproduced. It's also worrying, as the lamps are pretty expensive and the one inside os practically new...

Unfortunately, disabling deep color does not solve the issue.

At this point,

- hdcp disabled on ps4
- deep color disabled (was automatic before)
- both colour ranges set to limit on ps4

One other thing to note: my avr (Rotel RSP1570) only does hdmi passthrough. There's no menu overlay or filtering, inage processing or conversion being done like on many newer devices.

The error occurs when:

- projector is on, on source XBMC (anything really)
- change source to ps4
- turn ps4 on
- projector crashes within 4 seconds

It also happens when i wait 5 minutes before changing to ps4 source after i turned on the ps4. It also happens when i change source to ps4 before turning it on as well...

Strangely, once it crashed and i get the ps4 picture, i can change between sources withouth it crashing.

You are right though - i need to eliminate the AVR as a possible cause, so need to connect the ps4 directly to the projector...
I have a vw90 which was made about the same year as the hw15 (so possibly a closely related hdmi firmware), I don't have this issue with the 1.7 update. But I have a Denon receiver. Both CEC and HDCP are on for all devices, except my PC.

HDMI handshake issues are the worst things to troubleshoot. I can only provide a bit of random toughts :???:

My guess would be a CEC issue, but you alreadty tried that. Did you disable CEC on all 3 devices?

It could be the device that you switch FROM that triggers a bug, or a combination, does it happen when you switch from any device?

Do you have the latest firmware on both the rotel and the hw15?

When you enable CEC on your projector, do you see the Rotel and all devices connected to the receiver in the "device list", or do you seee only the PS4? CEC builds a tree of all devices that the projector reads from the receiver, so any corrupt data there could make some very random bugs, the PS4 change could tigger a bug completely elsewhere, it could come from any device in the tree, not just the active chain.

I believe you need not worry that much. Since the lamp is off already when the fan cuts off it won't be getting any hotter than it was while running (no power = no heat dissipation), and since it tolerates running-condition heat levels it should tolerate cooling off from running temp without the fan.

You may see some extra thermal cycling wear from another 7 power-ups though, but assuming the projector handles this in a sensible manner (gradual dial-up of lamp power to spare the filament) it should be negligible overall.

In any case, stuff like this is really annoying and should not happen. I hope you can get it sorted, quickly!

Has anyone tried uploading an exported video via the PS4 share button to youtube? I tried to but the max resolution on youtube was 360p. Wanted to see how much youtube compresses it.

The videos straight from the PS4 are actually pretty decent... just under 8000kbps mpeg4/avc 720p/30fps (format profile says Sony PSP). Images appear to have less compression artifacts compared to the old method of grabbing full 1080p screens before the update.

Has anyone tried uploading an exported video via the PS4 share button to youtube? I tried to but the max resolution on youtube was 360p. Wanted to see how much youtube compresses it.

The videos straight from the PS4 are actually pretty decent... just under 8000kbps mpeg4/avc 720p/30fps (format profile says Sony PSP). Images appear to have less compression artifacts compared to the old method of grabbing full 1080p screens before the update.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1844051&postcount=5244

Sometimes Youtube processing glitches out or takes a long time. If it never starts giving an HD option just try re-uploading the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back