News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that sounds like an update worth waiting for.

Oh no.. their firmware team came out of hibernation mode ? So we'll get more than the usual "performance and stability fixes" !!

I hope this sharing stuff and video editor thingie is just part of a long list. They promised much more features last year, with are still missing.

Oh no.. their firmware team came out of hibernation mode ? So we'll get more than the usual "performance and stability fixes" !!

I hope this sharing stuff and video editor thingie is just part of a long list. They promised much more features last year, with are still missing.

What's the most frustrating about it all is that they already have the technology, in proven systems, to implement the missing features.

djskribbles,

Many many thanks. Great info there. I am have to admit, I've been a bit confused. Up until now, I assumed the "color space" on my Sony projector (VPL-HW15) refered to the RGB full / limited specification. I am now finding out (by testing) that it isn't and it must be something else. Unfortunately, the manual does not give any clear information what it is. (I am currently fighting my HTPC's shoddy intel drivers to get a normal picture without crushed blacks yet while retaining a setting that works for my HTPC and PS4 :devilish:).
Color space usually adjusts the available colors. For example, in the (CIE) diagram below, the triangle represents the color space for REC.709 (the HD video standard). The D65 point is the reference white point. The further away you go from the white point, the more saturated the colors are. What the color space setting usually does is it adjusts the triangle, smaller or bigger, to allow/restrict how many colors can be displayed. Wider gamut doesn't necessarily mean better, you generally want to use the setting that is the closest to the standard you're targeting (usually REC.709 or sRGB).

300px-CIExy1931_Rec_709.svg.png

On Sony displays, the RGB range setting is usually labelled 'RGB Dynamic Range'. It appears that your projector is supposed to automatically set it based on the input signal, but I would not trust that it will correctly detect every input signal.

If your HTPC and PS4 are sharing an HDMI input, then it can be tricky to setup properly. In my experience, Intel GPU's output Full Range and/or Limited range, depending on your display/resolution/connection type. There's no option to select either or AFAIK. You're going to have to find out what your Intel GPU is outputting, then hopefully you'll be able to setup your PS4 the same way.

Sony's internal console tools team

Nice Q&A session.

How early was SN Systems involved in PlayStation 4?

Tom Charlesworth, chief technology officer: We got involved with PlayStation 4 a few years ago, back in 2008, which was about the same timeframe as Vita, or NGP as it was known back then. Really, at that stage, in terms of next-gen platforms we didn’t have too many specifics in terms of what we were developing for. We were brought on very early, and so there wasn’t much to go on, but at that point we definitely knew we needed to do a reboot of our existing tools.

By 2009 we were starting to have much more contact and context from the architects of PS4. We’ve had direct contact and engagement with Mark Cerny through the development of our Vita tools, and the PS4 tool chain as well. Initially we were there in a consultative role, being canvassed on the types of performance profiling hardware we would like to see in the next-gen PlayStation platform.

Come 2010, we started migrating our PS Vita tool chain to PS4. At that point we’d been working on our Vita tools for up to two years, and were then ready to retarget them for PS4.

And you’ve done much to advance your profiler now?

Charlesworth: Our Vita profiler is called Razor, and that’s a joint GPU/CPU profiler. That was something new for us. We’ve taken that same technology, and moved it over to PS4.

One of the problems we were faced with on PS4 was that the hardware profiling embedded within the SoC wasn’t so attractive, compared with what was available for Vita. We had to be a bit more creative in terms of solving problems similar to those we experienced with Vita, where we had hardware assistance. We had to solve the problems in software, but we’re very pleased with the results. It’s going to really help CPU engineers by letting them tune and speed up their code.

Almost forgot about this.

Mark Cerny and Shuhei will be at the Computer History Musuem in the Bay Area on April 10. They are doing a presentation on gaming. You need to register at the museum website.

I may not be able to make it. So... Bring back any free food you find there !

XXOO

Edit:
Wait a minute, I should tow my PS4 there to get their autographs.

Mark Cerny and Shuhei will be at the Computer History Musuem in the Bay Area on April 10. They are doing a presentation on gaming. You need to register at the museum website.
On a related subject the latest GameInformer has an interview with Andrew House, Mark Cerny and Ken Kutaragi. It's not exactly mind blowing stuff but was a brief interesting read.

I didn't realise Andrew House used to work for Ken. (I say 'Ken' like we're on first name terms :nope:).

Almost forgot about this.

I may not be able to make it. So... Bring back any free food you find there !

XXOO

Edit:
Wait a minute, I should tow my PS4 there to get their autographs.

Can't register, must be too late. Damn, I wish had read this earlier.

I got it !!!

I got Cerny's autograph on my PS4 ~:love:

I missed Shuhei though. Marketing people blocked me, says he haz 4 interviews lined up.

On a related subject the latest GameInformer has an interview with Andrew House, Mark Cerny and Ken Kutaragi. It's not exactly mind blowing stuff but was a brief interesting read.

I didn't realise Andrew House used to work for Ken. (I say 'Ken' like we're on first name terms :nope:).

That reminded me of this article. Definitely worth a read though I'm sure it's been posted before.

http://www.wired.com/2013/11/playstation-4/all/

Haha, it's not that difficult. Left the unit under my seat during their talk.

Walked up to him after presentation. He looked at my pen and the PS4, asked where I wanted him to sign, and that's it !

:cool:

A dude immediately offered to buy it. Bwahaha... No deal ! This one is a keeper.

Haha, it's not that difficult. Left the unit under my seat during their talk.

Walked up to him after presentation. He looked at my pen and the PS4, asked where I wanted him to sign, and that's it !

:cool:

A dude immediately offered to buy it. Bwahaha... No deal ! This one is a keeper.

That's very nice, but the first thing that came to my mind was; 'I hope he didn't bring a black pen for the signature'.

Black pen's often appear different on black surfaces. I've seen many appear metallic red reflected in the light. It's pretty cool actually, like secret text only revealed from a certain angle.

In 10 years it will be worth a good $$$
I suggest to buy a new ps4 and put the autographed one under carbonite ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back