News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSN EU has some fieldtrial coming up where you need to have both Vita and PS4 to be a part, if your already in their old beta program from back on the PS3, you can sign up until the 15th of february. No idea what it is about.

PSN EU has some fieldtrial coming up where you need to have both Vita and PS4 to be a part, if your already in their old beta program from back on the PS3, you can sign up until the 15th of february. No idea what it is about.

Link?

Link?

I just hope it does not further delay the bluray 3D support update...

By the way - why on EARTH is X pause/unpause when playing DVDs, but not when playing BRs? That's so fricken dumb I don't know where to start. Some kind of bug that slipped through from japanese firmware (where X and O buttons are reversed I believe)?

Also, has anyone tried synching the PS3 bluetooth remote to PS4? I've forgotten the key combination you press to put it into pairing mode, guess I could google it up in 5 seconds or so and then try myself... :p

*Edit: you can synch the PS3 BT remote to PS4, and the console recognizes it and pairs with it just fine, but pushing any buttons doesn't do shit, which is strange since the remote should just be a standard HID device I'd think... If PS4 supports BT keyboards and whatnot (which I'd assume it does, but might not be true, I've no idea), then support for this remote should be more-or-less automatic. Watching movies without a real remote is obnoxiously annoying, this lack of support is a real disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Edit: you can synch the PS3 BT remote to PS4, and the console recognizes it and pairs with it just fine, but pushing any buttons doesn't do shit, which is strange since the remote should just be a standard HID device I'd think... If PS4 supports BT keyboards and whatnot (which I'd assume it does, but might not be true, I've no idea), then support for this remote should be more-or-less automatic. Watching movies without a real remote is obnoxiously annoying, this lack of support is a real disappointment.

Lack of support aside, what's interesting is that, so far as I can tell, its the only device that can be paired to the PS4 that doesn't require a user being assigned to it. BT Keyboard/Mouse are both assigned to a user (keyboards function in the OS, by the way, mice do not). It does, however, recognize it as a BT Remote.Control, and puts it under device type "Controller" vs device type HID like it does with a keyboard.

Do universal remotes with an USB dongle receiver work on PS4?

I'm not having much success when using my TV remote and HDMI-CEC to control movie playback; nothing happens when pushing the media control/arrow keys on my TV remote. The (TV remote that is; not sony's BT remote) works on the XMB or whatever the F it's called now, but not during movie playback. What the hell!

WHY SONY, am I forced to use a god damn CONTROLLER with roughly three hour battery life that GLOWS and shines into my TV screen annoyingly and POWERS OFF ALL THE GOD-FRICKEN-DAMNED-TIME AND ASKS WHICH USER IS USING IT WHEN TURNED ON AGAIN AS THE MOVIE CONTINUES TO PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND to control movie playback?! I am going to have to hook my old PS3 back up again to watch movies, because this is unacceptable.

Do universal remotes with an USB dongle receiver work on PS4?

I'm not having much success when using my TV remote and HDMI-CEC to control movie playback; nothing happens when pushing the media control/arrow keys on my TV remote. The (TV remote that is; not sony's BT remote) works on the XMB or whatever the F it's called now, but not during movie playback. What the hell!

WHY SONY, am I forced to use a god damn CONTROLLER with roughly three hour battery life that GLOWS and shines into my TV screen annoyingly and POWERS OFF ALL THE GOD-FRICKEN-DAMNED-TIME AND ASKS WHICH USER IS USING IT WHEN TURNED ON AGAIN AS THE MOVIE CONTINUES TO PLAY IN THE BACKGROUND to control movie playback?! I am going to have to hook my old PS3 back up again to watch movies, because this is unacceptable.

3 hour battery life? I though it was 10. I also think you have the energy saver on. Turn it off. Do you hold the controller and have the light bar directed to you TV screen when watching movies??

Definitely not 10 hours. And it will feel like 3 hours if you do not use the auto-power off function for the controller.

Along similar lines, the poor handling of account management when the controller powers off combined with Netflix's braindead autoplay / zoomout misfeature means that it is a huge hassle to watch credits or even the end of some features. If the controller has powered off and you do not get it turned back on well before Netflix decides to trigger the autoplay zoomout, when you power back on the controller to stop the autoplay, the system's account selection process causes Netflix to dump you back to the menu causing loss of your location marker. Super frustrating with Anime where it is very common for previews or extra stuff to be tagged on after the credits.

Cheers

It's not three, not even close, especially if you are not using the rumble like in games. BTW when you set the controller down the light is pointing down, so is your TV on the floor?

Definitely not 10 hours. And it will feel like 3 hours if you do not use the auto-power off function for the controller.

Along similar lines, the poor handling of account management when the controller powers off combined with Netflix's braindead autoplay / zoomout misfeature means that it is a huge hassle to watch credits or even the end of some features. If the controller has powered off and you do not get it turned back on well before Netflix decides to trigger the autoplay zoomout, when you power back on the controller to stop the autoplay, the system's account selection process causes Netflix to dump you back to the menu causing loss of your location marker. Super frustrating with Anime where it is very common for previews or extra stuff to be tagged on after the credits.

Cheers

BTW when you set the controller down the light is pointing down, so is your TV on the floor?
The diffuser actually makes sure you always can see the damn lightbar reflected in the TV unless you put the controller face-down on the table (or aim it pointing away from the TV entirely - and thus more or less into your own eyes instead). This, together with the friggen login screen appearing on top of the movie every time you wake the controller up is really obnoxious actually when all you want to do is enjoy a good movie.

I don't understand what the shit they were thinking when they deliberately designed this crappy behavior. Sony is an experienced A/V company and the PS4 is supposed to be a high-end piece of A/V equipment; this level of noobness is totally unforgivable.

Geez, that sounds shocking.

I'm certainly not going to get a PS4 until they sort out all these media playback issues - especially the media playback capabilities off USB/internal HDD as I won't be able to trade in my PS3 until then (which does such a brilliant job as a media player)

Sony is an experienced A/V company and the PS4 is supposed to be a high-end piece of A/V equipment; this level of noobness is totally unforgivable.
No, the PS4 is a games console. It obviously wasn't designed to be a great DVD or Blu-ray player, both of these functions were clearly an afterthought. No doubt they'll improve both functions over time and I would be astonished if they do not release a remote control as they did for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2.

No, the PS4 is a games console. It obviously wasn't designed to be a great DVD or Blu-ray player, both of these functions were clearly an afterthought. No doubt they'll improve both functions over time and I would be astonished if they do not release a remote control as they did for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2.

Nonetheless it's just SW, not a HW limitation.

They should kick around the ppl responsible for the SW architecture and UI choices.

I had plans to get rid of my PS3, but I am also thinking to give it a place on the shelf again.

Nonetheless it's just SW, not a HW limitation.

They should kick around the ppl responsible for the SW architecture and UI choices.

I had plans to get rid of my PS3, but I am also thinking to give it a place on the shelf again.

Eurogamer just did an article on the media capabilities of the new consoles and came to the same answer. If you want the best multimedia experience then the PS3 is the way to go.

[source]

I didn't realize people still used consoles for BD playback, I thought these days people would use $75 12W dedicated players.

I didn't realize people still used consoles for BD playback, I thought these days people would use $75 12W dedicated players.

The PS3 is still one of, if not, the best BD players you can get. I've upgraded my system ready for the PS4. New TV and Receiver and Speakers. But rather than be blown away by the PS4 I'm actually appreciating the PS3's movie playback. All my Anime has come alive!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back