Windows 8 Dev build

Why are you exagerrating my argument? In my list I didn't count every mouse move. I only counted two: the significant ones, requiring user to "teleport" mouse pointer across large part of screen. The first move is necessary, the second one isn't.

Cluttered design is still bad design. And mind that Microsoft didn't touch this turd since more then decade.

Better design is no brainer. You get "mouse actions" halved by getting rid of:
1) stupid window placement
2) redundant confirmation
3) telling your GUI for second time your requested action is "stoping some USB devieces".

I'm sorry, but I don't see any of these points you raise in the procedure to eject an USB device in Windows 8. Could you address this observation? You can find the procedure described HERE, in case you haven't seen it. Should I have used a bigger font?

Cluttered design is still bad design. And mind that Microsoft didn't touch this turd since more then decade.
What you talking about?

Right-click taskbar icon; select device from the menu that appears. Can't get any more streamlined than that, unless you invent a mindreading device driver for windows with accompanying SQUID array to detect brainwaves... :)

Why are you exagerrating my argument? In my list I didn't count every mouse move. I only counted two: the significant ones, requiring user to "teleport" mouse pointer across large part of screen. The first move is necessary, the second one isn't.

Better design is no brainer. You get "mouse actions" halved by getting rid of:
1) stupid window placement
2) redundant confirmation
3) telling your GUI for second time your requested action is "stoping some USB devieces".

In which case as my example and dZeus example shows, you can do it in exactly 2 mouse "actions" or 3 at most, if like me, you have the "Safely Remove Devices..." tasktray icon hidden.

Nowhere even remotely near your 7 actions.

BTW - what I described above has been standard for ejecting a USB storage device for Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and I believe XP as well.

Granted in Vista, you can choose to do it the long way by right clicking and then opting to open a separate window, but you don't have to do that. Just do a normal left click and it pops up a menu (like Windows 8), then click the drive. 2 clicks. Just tested this myself. Give it a try, maybe you'll save yourself an unneeded bit of self-induced aggravation.

In Windows 8/8.1 both right and left click pop up the menu selection rather than giving you the option to open a window dialog. So it is impossible to do it with more then 2-3 mouse actions in Win 8/8.1.

Regards,
SB

Actually, this is the correct CouldntResist's list of moves:

*Start moving mouse to tray*
*Think to himself : "why is window <x> there?"*
*End moving mouse*
*right click on tray icon"
*hovering mouse over list of removable drives*
*Think to himself : "stupid UI, my workplace janitor could to better"*
*click on desired USB device*
*watch balloon explaining success/failure of removal*
*Think to himself : "Yuck! I'm actually using windows!"*

So yes, 8 moves (counted start moving mouse.. end moving as a single action on the basis that a decent DPI mouse could achieve this fast enough) :cool:

It appears that I was the one who couldn't resist.

Unlike the current Start button that Microsoft added to Windows 8.1, the new Start menu will be much more like the one Windows users have known and loved since Windows 95. Thurrott also says that the new version of Windows will allow for Metro apps to run as floating windows on the desktop screen, something that users can only do right now if they’ve installed third-party applications such as ModernMix.

Thankfully that made sense to more than just me then. :)

sigh, I really hoped we got rid of it for good. "Start screen" or Metro or whatever you want to call it is just so much better, IMO, than Start-menus ever were

Options aren't bad.

What is the real problem, I think, is that the start screen is just apps. The Start menu did a lot more than that (recent documents, recently used apps, etc.). I think they can find a happy medium that gives options - options aren't necessarily bad when you have more than a billion users.

Thankfully that made sense to more than just me then. :)

That and floating metro apps is a saviour for Windows. What a incredible crappy execution by Microsoft, it took them 2 years or so before they made Windows usable again.

It's useable now though - I would still pick 8 over 7 (and did) every time. And particularly the apps aren't available to pre-Windows 8 machines (I do use ModernMix btw, but if Microsoft does this, it would be nice if they also add features for interaction between Apps and the desktop).

But hey, they definitely have a lot of room for improvement still, that's without a doubt.

FINALLY. Wow. Jesus fucking christ!

"Start screen" or Metro or whatever you want to call it is just so much better, IMO, than Start-menus ever were
How? In what way? I can't see a single reason the start screen is better. It's more cluttered and disorganized, and completely disconnected from the normal desktop user interface. It's the dumbest idea microsoft ever had TBH (and that's saying something, considering all the unbelievably stupid ideas they've had over the years over there at Redmond, Clippy and whatnot.)

It's not that people can't like that metro shit according to me, or prefer it to the old windows UI. No, no. You're free to like it as much as you want, I really don't mind. It's just that I don't want to have to touch it myself, EVER, at all, under any circumstance. I want metro excised from reality on my own desktop PC. It's fine on a touch device, superior to standard windows UI in fact. With a mouse and keyboard it just turns into dumbed-down crap however.

More cluttered and disorganized than the mess that was in tiny start menu with tiny icons and all search results in the same mess?
Each can indeed prefer which ever or even something totally different, but at least I rather have clear view of my search results and get results only from the type of things I'm looking for at the same time.
(yes, IMO ever since Vista only function of start menu/screen is search, and through that starting apps by writing couple letters from it)
The fact that it's "completely disconnected" from the desktop user interface doesn't bother at least me at all, if I'm looking for some specific file via search, it'll take my attention from whatever I have open anyway, and it's IMO easier to find it from the whole screen results than from the small area start menus have for it

More cluttered and disorganized than the mess that was in tiny start menu with tiny icons and all search results in the same mess?
The start menu is hierarchical, inherently creating order, the start screen is not. The latter is every fucking icon in your system spewed up in one giant continuous list where folders (which aren't marked clearly visually) can start and end anywhere on the screen, creating a massive wall of icons that's very hard to overlook and search through with your eyes. Terrible UI design!

Each can indeed prefer which ever or even something totally different, but at least I rather have clear view of my search results and get results only from the type of things I'm looking for at the same time.
What on earth are you searching for that gives so many results that you need a start screen's worth of space to look through them in...? :oops:

The start menu is hierarchical, inherently creating order, the start screen is not. The latter is every fucking icon in your system spewed up in one giant continuous list where folders (which aren't marked clearly visually) can start and end anywhere on the screen, creating a massive wall of icons that's very hard to overlook and search through with your eyes. Terrible UI design!
Start screen is just as hierarchical as you want it to be, it IS customizable, you know?

What on earth are you searching for that gives so many results that you need a start screen's worth of space to look through them in...? :oops:
Photos would be a good example. That's one thing where Win 8.1 took a step backwards tbh, as (at least by default) the search results are in the right side of the screen now, and (by default) searching "everywhere" instead of just programs or files or whatever, and the icons are now smaller too.

Start screen is just as hierarchical as you want it to be, it IS customizable, you know?
Err, no?

I can change background color and fiddle with a few other irrelevant things, and set sorting order for the icons. Hierarchical start screen? Wut? Not possible.

Photos would be a good example.
Maybe time to get an application program to manage your photos then, instead of relying on default OS search to keep track of your stuff.

Err, no?

I can change background color and fiddle with a few other irrelevant things, and set sorting order for the icons. Hierarchical start screen? Wut? Not possible.
Set the icons to hierarchical order, put each type to different "set" and name the set if you want to. How is that not hierarchical order?

Maybe time to get an application program to manage your photos then, instead of relying on default OS search to keep track of your stuff.
Maybe, but it works ok and worked fine on 8, didn't need any separate app for it

Set the icons to hierarchical order, put each type to different "set" and name the set if you want to. How is that not hierarchical order?
Right. I move around everything manually, that's such an awesome solution. The real start menu just does it, inherently, through its structure without me having to do anything. No faffing, no BS.

Maybe, but it works ok and worked fine on 8, didn't need any separate app for it
Most were of the opinion that the original win8 search was pretty crap, though like with most changes, not everyone will be pleased.

Start menu vs. start screen though... That's a pretty clear situation. I myself isn't demanding MS rips the start screen out, just gives me the option to switch it off (along with all the other metro crap, like the friggen sidebars and charms which only ever get in the way, the separate search screen and so on). I don't like it and I don't want it, and I don't think it has a place in a desktop computer.

There is other ways to solve a search problem than screwing up the ui.

There simply is no one that has told me why I need a tablet interface on my 24 inch screen when I need to start a program, or why I have to run metro apps that by design are way to big to be desktop friendly, and the way you switch between them are stupid, instead of being on the task bar like other programs we have a new way of switching between them.

When people ask me if they should buy a new PC I suggest mac to them simply because Windows 8 sucks so much that anyone that isn't a semi nerd or masochist will hate it. Hell even a laptop with a touch screen doesn't provide answers to why they did this...

I run 8.1 with start 8,and has installed a bunch of 3rd party programs to take care of everything that metro would like to. And i love pretty much everything about Windows 8 that isn't metro or start screen. Ohh and there is something about drivers as well..

Hell even a laptop with a touch screen doesn't provide answers to why they did this...
They assumed that by putting metro UI on the piece of the market which they dominate, people would recognize and buy MS devices on the other piece of the market which they do not dominate.

A very ill-informed assumption as it turns out.

Right. I move around everything manually, that's such an awesome solution. The real start menu just does it, inherently, through its structure without me having to do anything. No faffing, no BS.

And you end up with an utterly crappy mess of nested folders. Additionally if you don't manually order things (way worse faffing about than the Start Screen) you end up having to scroll in the start menu for significantly less items than in the start screen.

The only possible saving grace for the outdated start menu is nested folders. But I'd rather scroll a single screen than have to navigate through multiple nested folders as I used to have to do.

The start menu is an artifact of antiquity that would be good if it disappeared forever, IMO. But as Arwin said earlier. Options aren't bad. So for those people that can't let go of the past, I'm glad you'll be able to use the start menu. For the rest of us, hopefully they continue to improve on the start screen, it's just way more useable than the start menu ever was.

Now, if they give us the option to get rid of the goddamn start button from wasting space on the taskbar with 8.2 (returning functionality from 8.0 that they removed in 8.1) I'd be quite happy.

Regards,
SB

Back