Windows 8 Dev build

Had the same problem but going to 8.1 fixed it.
Like hell they have... I searched for "calc" the other week and found diddly squat. :devilish:

I mean... That file's been around since win 3.0 at least. Maybe earlier than that, and search can't friggin find it?

Yes, I was outraged as well. Win7 search was pretty okish (except the number of results displayed).

And then they claimed that Win8 has so much better search. It did work for a while but after a few months it couldn't even find an excel file which I do access regularly and was placed on the SSD.

So far, no problem with 8.1, but I only got it recently ofc.

Is windows 8.1's search (in the default field, on a default, unconfigured computer) able to find the control panel? That's all I might have to care about. It's a bit like OS X : I don't know how to use it and have no reason to learn to do so, but if you open the terminal for me I can do some stuff. LOL. So I can develop the ability to configure win 8.x while knowing nothing about the screen's corners and sliding bars. Device manager, disk management, networking : the UI are probably mostly the same as in windows 95 and NT4. I can even just do file management in cmd.exe and of course, shutting the computer down there.

Yes, it finds the control panel. I haven't come across anything that it doesn't find yet for me in 8.1 ... I didn't have many issues in 8.0 either, but there you had to select where you wanted to search, whereas in 8.1 you can get results from applications, content, settings and the web all at once, which I really like.

Like hell they have... I searched for "calc" the other week and found diddly squat. :devilish:

I mean... That file's been around since win 3.0 at least. Maybe earlier than that, and search can't friggin find it?

Weird it found calc just fine for me. Just as it did in Win 8. I'm thinking something on your system may be borked...

Regards,
SB

There's an invisible combobox named "files" up above the text input field with AN ARROW POINTING DOWN AT SAID INPUT FIELD which made me think it was not a combo box but actually A LABEL, and thus ignored it. This is exactly why I fucking HATE windows 8, it doesn't follow standard windows design rules but rather breaks them completely, laughs, and then pisses on them. It causes nothing but confusion.

When you realize that it is in fact a combobox, you can switch it from "files" (shit, microsoft, everything stored in a computer is a file) to "programs", and then calc shows up, in two versions no less. Fucking shitty windows8. Why can't it show this stuff without having to fiddle? Just make a list of everything, that I can scroll if necessary.

Holy jeebers, how hard can it be.

Well, that's because you're doing it wrong. Literally.

That is, if you're using a desktop machine or machine with keyboard of course: then, what you should do is press the windows button to bring up the tiles, and then just start typing your search right there. Now it searches everywhere, but shows apps first, helpfully. I personally really like this a lot. Finally, my desktop is faster and more convenient for searching again than an iOS device. ;)

also related, I was using ubuntu 13.04 last night (new laptop thats less powerful than my phone, for real) I click on a dir, and its 10 seconds till anything is displayed. OK there were 5,500 items in it but even still the number of items shouldnt matter.. Display something. Then sort them afterwards

Well, that's because you're doing it wrong. Literally.
Well, I'm used to pressing winkey-F... Old habits are hard to break. This wouldn't have been a problem if the god damned search pane hadn't been metro-ified for no good bloody reason! Grr! :mad:

and its 10 seconds till anything is displayed. OK there were 5,500 items in it but even still the number of items shouldnt matter.. Display something. Then sort them afterwards
Should NOT take 10 seconds to read and sort only 5500 files. Heck, a bubble sort algorithm running in a basic interpreter on a modern CPU would have finished much quicker. :) Must be some wackoness going on there to take that long...

It's the same as having "open with.." in Firefox, navigating to /usr/bin and then you get a similar amount of time to load everything. (there it's GTK doing it, not Unity or Mate or XFCE).
In that "file/open" dialog, stuff does appear gradually, gets inserted into the sorted list. Nice if the stuff you want comes up early, but if not it's a bit frustrating and you have to wait it out.. It could be confusing in a file manager if everything populated at random.

It's all hard disk limited while file attributes, icons are loaded and then thumbnails are generated if you have media, pdf files etc.
With big enough icons you even have thumbnails for text files.

I went to /usr/bin with the "caja" file manager, it took about five seconds for 2232 files to show up. Like your system It hides everything till all is ready.

In fact if the thing is really braindead and nothing got cached, displaying 5500 files would be at least 5500 random accesses and if you consider a hard drive does about 150 IOPS, the time to read everything would be at least 36.67 seconds.
Hard drives are just that slow at reading random stuff. A friend has long delays dealing with his local stored mails (many years of it), I told him it's normal, HDD can't keep up because the heads have to physically travel to the data. So he needs a SSD if he wants faster operation there. Sensible stuff would even be to keep the / partition (main OS files) on HDD and have the /home (same as C:\Users) on SSD.

Here on Ubuntu I think you have to take the matter on your own, like configuring the thumbnailer or try another file manager (pcmanfm, Norton Commander clone?) or use the terminal to do whatever you wanted to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we understand the physics of harddrives, but that just makes it even less sensible it waits until all has been loaded to show anything. Just reading the file names of a folder - or even a set of folders - is really quite fast under NTFS even on a harddrive. It could show the file names first, and then continuously add thumbnails and shit like that as it loads them. That'd be the proper way to do it...

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-releases-windows-81-patch-to-fix-mouse-lag-while-gaming

Games that the update applies to

This update resolves this issue in the following games:
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Zombies
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts - Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: MW2
  • Call of Duty: MW2 - Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: MW3
  • Call of Duty: MW3 - Multiplayer
  • Call of Duty: MW
  • Call of Duty: MW - Multiplayer
  • Counter Strike: Global Offensive
  • Counter Strike: Source
  • Deus Ex : Human Revolution
  • Deus Ex : Human Revolution Director's Cut
  • Hitman Absolution
  • Hitman Sniper Challenge
  • Half Life 2
  • Metro 2033
  • Portal
  • Tomb Raider

How to extend the update to other games ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2908279

installed win 8.1

warning it reboots about 5 times during installation and takes about 1.5 hours (to get something that basically looks the same as what you had)

+ photoshop now works, which is great cause its my #1 windows Application
- not much difference, so why the big file?
- small bug, mouse wheel default scroll amount resets
-- started up computer today, nothing worked when clicked on I could move mouse etc , reboot - the same thing. I managed to get into a guest account, change stuff log in. log out, nothing Fuck, repeat after about an hour its now working. Dont know what I done. Perhaps its cause I had classic start menu installed?
Fingers crossed I wont have the same hassle tommorrow when I start up

Should you install it? No

Some people I think are just cursed when it comes to computing. My Win 8.1 upgrade only rebooted once or twice and took less than 30 minutes including the download.

I was annoyed that it made me go through the new user thing again though.

Regards,
SB

once or twice? Perhaps you were away from the PC when you installed it.
Ive gotta be there cause I have to choose which OS to run from the bootscreen every time.

In fact on about the 5th reboot it saiz something like 'setting up a few more things 0->100%"
i.e. they realize theyve done the 0->100% counter a few times already but this is the final reboot they promise, fingers crossed

Still could of been worse in trying to find whats causing my problem I came across this
Maybe it’s me. Maybe I’m just not tech savvy enough to upgrade machines from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. After all, I’ve only written 4 books about Microsoft Windows and am pretty new to the operating system, considering that I’ve only been using Windows since the day they launched Windows 1.0 in 1985.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrymagid/2013/10/17/windows-8-1-upgrade-not-working-after-3-attempts-on-2-machines/

Im thinking its the app I had that would start win 8 into the desktop from a boot & not the metro startscreen

One good aspect about Windows 8 : Classic Shell got signicantly developed/upgraded. I've not tried it yet (last time was in 2009, because I felt I was needing it in 7 already)
But when I'll upgrade a buddy's PC from XP to 7 I'll sure install it : XP-style start menu! (with search bar in). File manager improvements! (There were the up button and file copy replacement, but I don't remember the toolbar or statusbar. Also, shame that you need a plugin for the window to show its title bar)

Back