*Confirmed* Original Crysis Bound for *PS360

Lest we all forget, the original Cryengine 3 demos showed some Crysis-like environs.

And LOL at the "Wii version" I happend to spot in the sidebar while searching. ("On rails? Downgrade?")

Interesting, I'd like to play that version if only to see how much of the original Crysis formula could be realised on consoles. Foliage would have to be reworked though, Crysis 1 looks terrible in 720p. Details are completly lost and most of the trees change into one giant green blob.

Havent played Just cause 2 but i heard it has some lush jungle environment on consoles

I personally prefer the look of JC2 jungles to most of Crysis1, although obviously for artistic reasons. In combination with the lighting they can give really stunning results. But I'm not sure how the console versions fare in comparison.

It was far from miss fit.Sure first couple of chapters dropped frames,but later on it was perfectly fine.Other than some pop in(as with alot of todays games) and slightly reduced resolution game was perfectly playable on consoles.With all the bells and whistles that you can find in todays best looking games.

The main problem with Crysis 2 for consoles was that for some people it looked too good ;)

Lest we all forget, the original Cryengine 3 demos showed some Crysis-like environs.

Yeah but that appeared to be on rails with very slow movement and still compared poorly with the PC version going by the youtube side by side comparisons.

A version of Crysis on consoles is obviously possible. But it would have to be dialled back a fair bit in comparison to the PC version.

Even that video of FC3 on PC falls short of Crysis IMO. Although in many ways it does look very similar. Like FC2 though it lacks the photorealistic look of Crysis for a more "gamey" look. Still looks great though.

^that was also early in development, plus 1280x720 IIRC. C2 ran sub-HD on console. With a little optimization, I think it can run well on console and still look good.

I don't understand what the big deal is about rendering trees at a distance when there are plenty of games that already do that on console. It's just geometry instancing. Just to name a few:

Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 1-3
Alan Wake
Gears of War 2

The only real problem is having a proper LOD system because they'll obviously be tiny objects in the distance. You don't want to render high poly trees that take up a few tens of pixels. The CE3 demo was also... old, unfinished, and they clearly had other problems to solve for Crysis 2.

^that was also early in development, plus 1280x720 IIRC. C2 ran sub-HD on console. With a little optimization, I think it can run well on console and still look good.

Sure it will look good. It just won't match Crysis on the PC. Is anyone really arguing otherwise?

Did you edit your post, or did I miss the rest of it? For some reason, I only read the first line of your post.

And FWIW, there are people in this thread that seem skeptical of Crysis 1 running on console... I just thought you were one of them (again, from the first line of your post).

Well, anyone expecting high or ultra would be plain out of his mind. :p There's only so much shader resources, though Crysis 1 did use the rather bloated ubershader. I'd be more worried about their streaming than anything.

I'd be more worried about memory constraints than rendering power. Crysis can run at lower settings on GPUs comparable to Xenos, but it cannot run on <1GB of memory (and really it sucks with <2GB). Consoles can make better use of the memory available to them, but I still have my doubts.

Well, anyone expecting high or ultra would be plain out of his mind. :p There's only so much shader resources, though Crysis 1 did use the rather bloated ubershader. I'd be more worried about their streaming than anything.

Would it not be using Crysis 2's shaders?

Crysis 1 streaming caused stuttering on my old PC (Opteron/A64 X2, 2 or 4GB memory, Sata 2 HDD w/ 32MB cache).

Average frame rates on high were about 32 fps in the CPU bench (28 fps in the 64 bit version of the bench - lol 64 bit games) which was manageable, but during gameplay it was the stuttering rather than the average frame rate that pissed me off.

When CPU limited, 64 bit Crysis ran like ass compared to 32 bit Crysis on an A64. But not as bad as 32 bit Mafia 2 on a 64-bit system. Please consider this an OT but obligatory slating of ultrashit CPU PhysX.

I don't even think that LOD will be too much of an issue playing C1 on consoles to be honest.

In fact, considering the sheer amount of time i spent playing Crysis 1 on PC lying on my belly and not able to see shit because of all the fugly trees and folliage in the way, they could have easily culled the hell out of all the geometry in the distance and i'd have been none the wiser.

It's like Alstrong says, it's not like there haven't been games on consoles that have done vistas before. Even open world games on consoles. Crysis 1 is even much less open world than the true open worlds games on consoles.

TBH, if this is true i hope that they dial back hard on the amount of trees and folliage in the game. Change the actual tree models so that they're easier to render at 720p without looking like a pixellated mess (at all distances). Unlike most you guys, my PC setup limited me to 768p res (through HDMI on my 720p HDTV), the problem with Crysis 1 was that practically none of the assets in that game were made to be seen at that res. So most of the time the game looked fugly to me, even when ramped up to full specs and with 8xMSAA running at <10fps (yes that's what i had to resort to). If they can remake the game for consoles on CE3, then i think it'll be an improvement for everyone who was unfortunate to play the first game as i was forced to (sad face).

I don't understand what the big deal is about rendering trees at a distance when there are plenty of games that already do that on console. It's just geometry instancing. Just to name a few:

Bad Company 2
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 1-3
Alan Wake
Gears of War 2

The only real problem is having a proper LOD system because they'll obviously be tiny objects in the distance. You don't want to render high poly trees that take up a few tens of pixels. The CE3 demo was also... old, unfinished, and they clearly had other problems to solve for Crysis 2.
Yea Farcry 2 was a gorgeous game both technically and artistically (well imo atleast), filled with tons of geometry and high quality shaders....now obviously it wasn't on the same level as Crysis but it was pretty close and the fact remained that it was completely open world, I'm pretty sure that they could've pulled off even more stuff had if it been a confined sandbox like Crysis instead of open world.

Back