New TV purchase even though I dont want to

suryad

Veteran
So it turns out that my HP LP3065 is not going to work with my PS3 because of some HDCP thing...the technical details escape me at the moment. So now I have to buy a TV...I am going to settle with a 46 inch LED setup but I am lost as to which one to get. I was smitten for the longest time over the Pioneer Kuro and the Sony XBR8 models but unfortunately they are not manufactured anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 46 inch price is no objection as long as the quality of the image is eye searingly good. Mind i don't care about 3D content. Anyone have any suggestions? This is the most reluctant purchase I am about to make which is ironic...considering I love gadgets...

Those of us who follow the teachings of the gaming gods know you dont need a ps3 and therefore a tv
problem solved.

Why 46"? Is there some specific reason for that size? I mean what if someone found a 52" TV which was perfect in every way, would you be sizist and reject that TV for being too large?

@Davros I am with you...but since I like to game and am a newlywed...and my wife likes to game but she wants to game together with me I figured a console would be perfect. My apartment is a bit small too so building a PC was kind of not an option...which also leads to the 46 incher because the viewing distance would be perfect in the bedroom which is where the TV will end up. I am not against a 52 incher by any means but 46 seems to be the right ticket! Of course my mind is open to a 52 incher :)

So it turns out that my HP LP3065 is not going to work with my PS3 because of some HDCP thing...the technical details escape me at the moment. So now I have to buy a TV...I am going to settle with a 46 inch LED setup but I am lost as to which one to get. I was smitten for the longest time over the Pioneer Kuro and the Sony XBR8 models but unfortunately they are not manufactured anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 46 inch price is no objection as long as the quality of the image is eye searingly good. Mind i don't care about 3D content. Anyone have any suggestions? This is the most reluctant purchase I am about to make which is ironic...considering I love gadgets...

Seems that this screen only accepts 1280x800 or 2560x1600 inputs and doesn't have a scaler on-board, and that's the reason it won't work. I have no tips for a new tv as yet ... personally I would love a 3D tv, just out of curiosity as I have so many games now on PS3 that support it, and stuff like Motorstorm looks rather awesome, but it's definitely not a requirement.

If you play with your wife, be sure to invest in a pair of Move controllers. And no, not just to play We Dare. ;) Tumble for instance is good fun for two players.

@Davros lol haha

Well Arwin you are spot on. I did some research after I got home and yes the lack of the internal scaler is causing issues for me. I went to Best Buy and am smitten with the following:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D8000YFXZA
I took the wife there and asked a bluray to be put in to the demo tv and the Black Knight looked absolutely mindboggingly good. The TV is very handsome looking as well. The wife has approved the purchase. I am gonna go with it I think unless you gents suggest otherwise.

And yes I bought the 320 gb PS3 with Move so playing together with the wife is definitely in the cards. What do you guys think about the Samsung choice?

@Davros lol haha

Well Arwin you are spot on. I did some research after I got home and yes the lack of the internal scaler is causing issues for me. I went to Best Buy and am smitten with the following:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN55D8000YFXZA
I took the wife there and asked a bluray to be put in to the demo tv and the Black Knight looked absolutely mindboggingly good. The TV is very handsome looking as well. The wife has approved the purchase. I am gonna go with it I think unless you gents suggest otherwise.

And yes I bought the 320 gb PS3 with Move so playing together with the wife is definitely in the cards. What do you guys think about the Samsung choice?

Wow that's the tv I want, I am so jealous.

Wow that's the tv I want, I am so jealous.

Have you seen the TV in action? I was literally drooling all over the Best Buy showroom floor. I mean I asked the guy who was helping me to pop in an actual bluray movie instead of some demo crap and what immediately impressed me was how he brought the Dark Knight bluray and popped it in and good grief! Best blacks i have ever seen and the TV was not even calibrated. Even my wife who is very new to the world of high end electronics was astounded and she said "WANT!" That pretty much did it for me. You can get 2 years no interest on those TVs. See if you can do that!

It's a beautiful design and would undoubtedly be a very good choice. My only concerns would be input lag (the description Samsung gives of their "Micro Dimming Plus" mentions image analysis being done and image processing usually leads to some amount of lag) and how efficacious their Mico Dimming Plus system actually is at increasing contrast ratio relative to a high-end Plasma display. OTOH, the comparable Plasma would weigh about twice as much and use a LOT more power. Usually, my own preferences lean towards Plasma sets in rooms where you can achieve low-light levels (and therefore really take advantage of the superior contrast ratio) and LED-LCDs otherwise.

Hope you and the Mrs. enjoy the new set!

the Samsungs have a gaming mode which reduces lag (although I don't bother unless I'm playing MP FPS)

the Samsungs have a gaming mode which reduces lag (although I don't bother unless I'm playing MP FPS)

You are then sacrificing the image-improving features that get turned off in that mode. And in this case where the image processing is trying to address a limitation in the display technology it's reasonable to view that as a negative, no?

Those of us who follow the teachings of the gaming gods know you dont need a ps3 and therefore a tv
problem solved.

1255128119104.jpg

hur hur. ಠ_ಠ

I have considered a plasma as well especially the one that you have pointed out and since I get a nice discount from work on Panasonic devices as well...but I am concerned about the power draw, the lifespan of the set as well. You do bring up a very good point about game lag and all that. I need to find out more about that set. 800 dollar difference between the plasma and that led tv is after all quite a lot. I don't want to pay more and get less.

You are then sacrificing the image-improving features that get turned off in that mode. And in this case where the image processing is trying to address a limitation in the display technology it's reasonable to view that as a negative, no?

Depends if you can actually tell if its on or off or not. Many users probably won't even notice any lag, however if you do, you can turn off the processing. Which doesn't suddenly make its picture horrible.

However, I was merely pointing out the option existed. I'm done here carry on.

Panasonic makes some stupendous plasmas. The VT20/25 series are arguably the best TVs available right now in terms of PQ. They do use a good bit more power than an LCD and weigh more, but I've never seen an LCD that can top a good plasma PQ-wise. Lifespan on the panel is rated at ~100,000 hours IIRC, so no worries there. Also Panasonic is known for having very low input lag, so low in fact that their televisions don't even have a gaming mode because they don't need it. You can enjoy your calibrated settings when gaming.

The Samsung C8000 plasmas are also very impressive, and nearly as thin as the C8000 LCD that you are looking at. Certainly more stylish than the Panasonic offerings and the PQ is still incredible.

homedrog yeah I really do want a plasma set as well. Last time when I was looking at buying a TV in earnest was one of the Kuro HDs and I only stopped because well they stopped making them. And they are a good bit cheaper than the Sammy too! I have a mental block for some reason against plasmas though in terms of the weight, power draw, heat they make and I have heard of ghosting issues as well when playing games.

There are probably some test videos out there which could show ghosting on a good plasma but in practice it's not something I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of plasmas running a lot of different things. The 3D plasmas in particular should not exhibit any noticeable ghosting for obvious reasons. But if ghosting is your #1 concern (maybe you watch a lot of table tennis lol) I think DLP is the only tech these days which is immune to it.

Back