[Multiplat] Battlefield 3

The mobile spawn point is easy to destroy and you can hear it bleeping away so you know it's around.

They can be destroyed,but I wouldn't call it simple because it's very small like only a foot high and with everyone attacking you have little time to search.And for defense it's even harder because you first need to get that far to see they have one sitting behind a wall or rock.

This is the very reason why I'm happy they made changes to how you destroy the MCOM. While you're on the attacking team, it was nice to blow up the MCOM from a distance, but was quite frustrating at times on the defending team.

It's more frustrating without damage.Defenders know exactly where you need to go which is why the game has far more campers.With damage, the gameplay is FAR more dynamic on both sides and is a more unique game mode.

They can be destroyed,but I wouldn't call it simple because it's very small like only a foot high and with everyone attacking you have little time to search.And for defense it's even harder because you first need to get that far to see they have one sitting behind a wall or rock.

If it was any easier than it is, there would be no point in having it. As it is, it's a useful gadget that comes at the expense of not having other gadgets, and having to use a recon class soldier on the front line instead of their usual habitat (in the rear, somwhere on Kashyyk).

It's more frustrating without damage.Defenders know exactly where you need to go which is why the game has far more campers.With damage, the gameplay is FAR more dynamic on both sides and is a more unique game mode.
There isn't a single MCOM that can be attacked OR defended from areas that both sides cannot reach, i.e. the out of zone areas for each team. This means wherever someone is camped, you can attack. You really should be clearing out the defense before assuming that you can just walk into the MCOM and win.

If you have tanks shooting the MCOM from an uncappable base, how on earth is that more balanced?

It sounds to me like you've been stuck with a few bad attacking teams that just don't have the experience to know how to clear out the defenders. You can pretty much flank or pincer any entrenched defensive position.

You can make a pincer even without the direct help and coordination of teammates. For example on the 3rd phase, look on your minimap to see that a group of friendlies are going up the side stairs, so you go up the first stairs a few moments later after the gunfire starts and waste 3-4 enemies in the small room at the top of the right stairs. This room from the perspective of the right stairs folk is an entrenched position, but with attack from both flanks it's easy meat. You can do similar moves on almost all camping spots, and the few you can't you can simply avoid and eventually flank.

There are no super un-flankable or otherwise unbeatable camping spots overlooking an MCOM. That is good map design.

The great thing about this game is it makes you use your brain, as much, or even more than it requires your reflexes.

If it was any easier than it is, there would be no point in having it. As it is, it's a useful gadget that comes at the expense of not having other gadgets, and having to use a recon class soldier on the front line instead of their usual habitat (in the rear, somwhere on Kashyyk).

Ok, so only recon class soldiers can deploy mobile spawn points, but enemies can destroy them. Is that accurate ? If so, it doesn't sound bad at all.

It shouldn't be there at all because it doesn't fit a BF world.I would also say beeping does not help those who are hearing impaired or play with low audio at night too.

There isn't a single MCOM that can be attacked OR defended from areas that both sides cannot reach, i.e. the out of zone areas for each team. This means wherever someone is camped, you can attack. You really should be clearing out the defense before assuming that you can just walk into the MCOM and win.

If you have tanks shooting the MCOM from an uncappable base, how on earth is that more balanced?

Of course can be reached,but there is no doubt defense has a huge advantage.

1-can camp the MCOM because there is nothing else to worry about
2-can place mobile spawn very close to MCOM so if you die it does not matter
3-can put C4 on the MCOM and just wait for the alarm to go off.
4-you spawn close anyway..doh

There are no tanks in Metro to shoot an MCOM and even if there was you could do the same tank sniping right back.I hate when people act like you can't defend tank sniping...stop camping and DEFEND!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the very reason why I'm happy they made changes to how you destroy the MCOM. While you're on the attacking team, it was nice to blow up the MCOM from a distance, but was quite frustrating at times on the defending team.

Get your engineers to destroy the tank ! duh ! Its not like it brooke the game. its part o fhaving a tank that the Tank can destroy things !

If you can't counter a tank in BF, it means you are not upto it, it doesn't mean the tank should not be able to destroy stuff. :rolleyes:

Of course can be reached,but there is no doubt defense has a huge advantage.

Defence always has the advantage, that's why rush maps and originally Wolf:ET/ETQW maps were always slanted a bit to benefit the attacking team. If you never played WET/ETQW it's basically Rush mode with more varied type of objectives (destroy/build structures, steal documents/gold, etc.)

1-can camp the MCOM because there is nothing else to worry about
2-can place mobile spawn very close to MCOM so if you die it does not matter
3-can put C4 on the MCOM and just wait for the alarm to go off.
4-you spawn close anyway..doh

Like bigtabs said I believe you probably got stuck with a few bad teams with little coordination. If you see someone spawn and run directly to the MCOM stay away from him. Here's my strategy when spawning for the first stage:

1) find my squad if it's clustered, 2-3 clustered team guys otherwise.
2) Run up until 30 yards to objective.
3) Stop
4) Spot everyone for 15-30 seconds, only fire and expose my position if I'm sure I'm taking my target down with a single burst.
5) Crouch/prone the rest of the way watching for spotted enemies.
6) If objective is crowded clean with grenades.
7) Begin suppressing fire while squadmates advance.
8) Never advance without backup AND supressing fire.
9) When the objective is armed, attacking team should have at least 3 guys covering the objective.
10 Don't bother arming it if you know you're going to be standing alone. Better to stay back and fire at respawning defenders to force them to take cover further back while your squadmates get to you. You should also have at least someone competent at healing/reviving.

That's my basic template. Obviously if I come under sniper first at #4 I might need to withdraw or simply go into the open and draw fire away from teammates. Because of the destructible environments later in the round you may need to run at #5, etc. This also requires quite a bit of coordination and experienced players. If you're stuck with hill-humpers and k/d ratio whores this isn't going to work.

Saying that deployment beacons don't fit the BF world is like saying squad spawn or even SL spawn doesn't, there's little difference. Are the devs not allowed to introduce new mechanics in their long awaited sequel? Goodbye to lots of cool stuff then.

Remember also that if someone finds your beacon they can camp it and rape the crap out of the squad. Numerous times I've had to warn my squad not to spawn at a beacon I've just been spawn-raped at. They can backfire.

All they really do is keep people in the action, where they want to be. Or keep snipers in useless hideyholes far from the action, even after they've been killed.

Ultimately if you don't like the game mechanics, by all means don't play it, but I'm in full agreement with DICE here. This is the best Battlefield I've played, based solely off what I've seen in a 1 map beta, in a mode that I don't even like very much (compared to the traditonal conquest).

Okay to be fair I have had 15 mins on Caspian, but I never even managed to get in a vehicle.

360 Version of Battlefield 3 to Offer Optional Install of High Resolution Textures

Multi-disc 360 games are becoming more common these days. As games become more and more bloated and the limitations of the DVD medium are starting to present themselves to developers, we're starting to see larger, more ambitious games offer optional installs for additional features or, in some cases, split their gameplay across more than one disc. Recently, this has happened with id's Rage, and DICE's upcoming shooter Battlefield 3 will also be following this trend, too.

"There's a voluntary install on the 360," said Battlefield 3 producer Patrick Liu in conversation with GamerZines yesterday. "I think Rage did it as well, where you can install content to stream higher res textures. We're pushing that technology to the limit, and compared to our competitors, I would argue that we're the best looking game."
wat? :rolleyes:

Battlefield 3 is supposedly using virtual texturing too, although perhaps not unique and only for the terrain. I imagine DVD streaming speeds aren't enough for their system either?

Defence always has the advantage, that's why rush maps and originally Wolf:ET/ETQW maps were always slanted a bit to benefit the attacking team. If you never played WET/ETQW it's basically Rush mode with more varied type of objectives (destroy/build structures, steal documents/gold, etc.)

Like bigtabs said I believe you probably got stuck with a few bad teams with little coordination. If you see someone spawn and run directly to the MCOM stay away from him. Here's my strategy when spawning for the first stage:

1) find my squad if it's clustered, 2-3 clustered team guys otherwise.
2) Run up until 30 yards to objective.
3) Stop
4) Spot everyone for 15-30 seconds, only fire and expose my position if I'm sure I'm taking my target down with a single burst.
5) Crouch/prone the rest of the way watching for spotted enemies.
6) If objective is crowded clean with grenades.
7) Begin suppressing fire while squadmates advance.
8) Never advance without backup AND supressing fire.
9) When the objective is armed, attacking team should have at least 3 guys covering the objective.
10 Don't bother arming it if you know you're going to be standing alone. Better to stay back and fire at respawning defenders to force them to take cover further back while your squadmates get to you. You should also have at least someone competent at healing/reviving.

That's my basic template. Obviously if I come under sniper first at #4 I might need to withdraw or simply go into the open and draw fire away from teammates. Because of the destructible environments later in the round you may need to run at #5, etc. This also requires quite a bit of coordination and experienced players. If you're stuck with hill-humpers and k/d ratio whores this isn't going to work.

Yes, defense always did and now more than ever. I know how to play the game, I'm a level50 in BC2 and 34 rank in the beta,what bigtabs said does not matter.

No destruction leads to camping and less tactics and dynamic gameplay, that is pretty much fact,IMO.

Saying that deployment beacons don't fit the BF world is like saying squad spawn or even SL spawn doesn't, there's little difference. Are the devs not allowed to introduce new mechanics in their long awaited sequel? Goodbye to lots of cool stuff then.

Except now it has both.spawning on team is fine enough but to put in a magical box where can be put anywhere is just cheap.

Perhaps it will make more sense to you in the context of the full game. If we're just going on the beta, then I'd have to wonder what on earth the engineer kit was for.

Why the eye roll? It makes sense given the engines reliance on streaming.

Battlefield 3 is supposedly using virtual texturing too, although perhaps not unique and only for the terrain. I imagine DVD streaming speeds aren't enough for their system either?

Yeah I'm thinking this as well. The install for both systems will provide the best texture quality.

How big is the PS3 (mandatory) install for BF3 ?

Not sure, but the mandatory install on the PS3 will include the high res textures:

Battlefield 3 Gets a High Res Installation Option
Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions are confirmed to have installation options for high-resolution textures.

"Battlefield 3 for Xbox 360 ships on two disks with endless hours of spectacular high-definition gameplay; disk one features the stunning multiplayer, co-op levels and HD installation content, and disk two features the superb single-player campaign."

Additionally, we asked EA whether or not the game would offer the same feature for PS3 owners, and fortunately this seems to be the case. "The PS3 version requires the same install but it's all on the one blu-ray disk," a spokesperson for the company confirmed.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1198976p1.html

Back