Tomb Raider

That right there may be exactly why they are pricing it at $60. Start really high then $30 suddenly seems like a bargain, even though the pc version has been at $7 quite some time ago.
You are talking about a digital copy, plus the price on consoles is usually higher.

I pre-ordered the game yesterday. It costs 54€. It features all the DLC of the game, the Dark Horse comic, a digital version of Brady Games artbook and videos of The Final Hours documentary. I think those are the perks for collectors, and the best thing about physical copies of games.

After the last news though I cancelled my Xbox One version pre-order. I'd be okay with the game running at butter smooth 60 fps EVEN if they dropped the resolution to achieve that. I am not ok with 1080p 30 fps to achieve some kind of parity.

It's not that I need the game. I have 15 Xbox One games already, and lately I am just playing 2 of them, 3 at the most and sometimes I wonder if I will ever complete them.

You are talking about a digital copy, plus the price on consoles is usually higher.

Well I mean they are playing with psychology really. Price it at full $60 price, sure they know it's high, everyone knows it's high, but they know people still want to buy it. Let that $60 price sink in for a while, then drop it to $30. Now suddenly $30 rather than seeming to be the price it should have been, now it seems like wow a sale! That's my guess anyways, and they can play that game since they already made their return on the game anyways so the rest is just gravy.

I dont get how this is confirmed 55fps on average on the ps4 and 45fps on average for the X1.
I know where it started but Eurogamer posted an interview 6 days ago with the developer where he confirms it as 1080p 30fps on both consoles. Surely this close to the release date the games are burned and packaged, maybe even in stores stock rooms. Why would something like this change in only 6 days time?

I dont get how this is confirmed 55fps on average on the ps4 and 45fps on average for the X1.
I know where it started but Eurogamer posted an interview 6 days ago with the developer where he confirms it as 1080p 30fps on both consoles. Surely this close to the release date the games are burned and packaged, maybe even in stores stock rooms. Why would something like this change in only 6 days time?

Because the developer had no interest in stepping on anyone's toes. And it's not like he lied, they did target 30 on the xb1, but thanks to the ps4 being that much faster/powerful they ended up with what you read.

This is all rumors until we get a final analysis from df.

From what I've read, they've targeted 30fps as a minimum all along and that anything higher would be gravy. They both have unlocked framerates and the guys at rocket chainsaw estimate that the PS4 version runs at ~55fps avg and the X1 version runs at ~35fps avg based on the info they were given. The X1 version can reach up to ~45fps, but it runs at ~30fps for the majority of the time. Maybe the X1 was the lead sku?

The devs confirmed that the PS4 version runs at 60fps, saying that "you can feel it for sure". All articles and dev comments can be found on the GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756518

Last edited by a moderator:

Because he never said it, it was a mis quote and he corrected it.

Personally I'd take 1080p over 60fps in this game if I had to choose. I guess PS4 owners are lucky enough not to have to.

Normally I'd go for 60fps over 1080p if I had to choose but with Tomb Raider it's a tough call because it's one of those games that really benefits from more resolution due to the long view distances of your impending terrain.

The base line they are targeting is 1080@30. This is the lowest framerate, but it seems they are leaving it unlocked. The xbone is hitting 45fps maximum during the simplest sections whilst the ps4 is hitting 60fps consistently with some drops during complex scenes. The 55fps for ps4 and 35fps for xbone averages were just easy bullet points to pick.

From what I've read, they've targeted 30fps as a minimum all along and that anything higher would be gravy. They both have unlocked framerates and the guys at rocket chainsaw estimate that the PS4 version runs at ~55fps avg and the X1 version runs at ~35fps avg based on the info they were given. The X1 version can reach up to ~45fps, but it runs at ~30fps for the majority of the time. Maybe the X1 was the lead sku?

The devs confirmed that the PS4 version runs at 60fps, saying that "you can feel it for sure". All articles and dev comments can be found on the GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756518

That thread doesnt have any confirmation from a developer.
It has a link to a qoute from a presentation of the game.

If this story is true it seems kind of odd for it to drop a few days from release and not as a press release but from a small gaming site written by a mod from a forum.

I will wait for the reviews and or face off before I can take this as (confirmed fact).
I would also accept an clear offical statement from Crystal Dynamics.

That thread doesnt have any confirmation from a developer.
It has a link to a qoute from a presentation of the game.

I would also accept an clear offical statement from Crystal Dynamics.
... a quote from a video presentation with Scot Amos of Crystal Dynamics, saying that the PS4 version runs at 60fps. When asked if it's just the PS4 version, he says "yes, that is the version that we're showing here" or something along those lines. I think it's pretty much confirmed.

Maybe it wasn't reported by other game sites because this isn't really a big release. I mean it's a great game, but it's just an updated version of an already released game.

If it's true that the X1 version runs at 30-45 at 1080p thats good enough for me. Initially I thought it would be just 30fps in which case I would've preferred 900p and a higher framerate.

Normally I'd go for 60fps over 1080p if I had to choose but with Tomb Raider it's a tough call because it's one of those games that really benefits from more resolution due to the long view distances of your impending terrain.

Good point but since I've played it already at 720p anything higher like 900p 45fps would be gravy. Viewing distance is fine even at 720p during my play on the 360.

Back