Tomb Raider

I don't mind getting an upgraded version of the game with all the new bells and whistles. But i do agree that PC gamers should get the upgrades too...there's technically nothing standing in the way of that besides Crystal dynamics thinking they can swindle new console owners out of 60 bucks because of the drought.

No thank you, i shall wait till it hits 29.99

The sequel should definitely include Physically based Shading and a realtime reflection model, they are really what's separating the nextgen from currentgen in look.

I don't mind getting an upgraded version of the game with all the new bells and whistles. But i do agree that PC gamers should get the upgrades too...there's technically nothing standing in the way of that besides Crystal dynamics thinking they can swindle new console owners out of 60 bucks because of the drought.

No thank you, i shall wait till it hits 29.99

From memory, the PS3 version is heavily discounted on PS+, so I really don't think this will hold its price for very long.

It's a defensive countermeasure against fanatics. Also used to cut through foliage.

Surprised they didn't just add more polys considering they upped the polycount on her face. Doesn't really need the whole tessellation pipe to make it rounder (see: DOA). *shrug*

definitive version with no tessellated b00bs

http://i.picpar.com/Cg6.jpg

failed.

The thing with the "definitive" edition is that the marketing guys would love us to just accept that this is the PC version plus a load more but in fact it's actually the PS360 version plus a load more and that's also what the PC version is. The PC version and definitive edition are both enhanced versions of the PS360 version but both have taken different routes in that enhancement.

They both have 1080p and TressFX and the definitive version also has "a new particle system, new lighting work and enhanced shadow-casters, tons of more visual storytelling elements (more debris, more details on walls, more density in the environment for vegetation) and upgraded characters (new face model and body textures for Lara)."

That's all great but when you look in the options menu of the PC version is also has "ultra" options (which one has to assume in 2013 is beyond the PS360 settings) for textures, shadows, level of (world) detail, depth of field and SSAO. It also has extra checkboxes for tessellation (which we know is even lacking in the definitive edition), post processing and high precision.

So it's reasonable to assume that many of the enhancements in the definitive edition are already in the PC version, perhaps in a different implementation, and that both version have effects that the other lacks. Don't get me wrong, there are some impressive things in the definitive edition that are definitely beyond the PC version and I expect on balance and in 2D mode the definitive edition is still the better one - but it's not a super-sample of the PC version and the differences may not be as great as is made out in some of the write ups.

I expect that's why we won't see these new effects patched into the PC version. They're likely incompatible (and in some cases inferior) to the changes already made for the PC version.

It is their game and they call it what they want. I am starting to think that pc gamers are the worse fanboys that exist in the videogame community.

It is their game and they call it what they want. I am starting to think that pc gamers are the worse fanboys that exist in the videogame community.

If you've got a problem with something I said, try articulating it properly rather than throwing out random insults.

Do you have a sensible argument against any of my points? If so, I'd like to hear it.

The thing with the "definitive" edition is that the marketing guys would love us to just accept that this is the PC version plus a load more but in fact it's actually the PS360 version plus a load more and that's also what the PC version is. The PC version and definitive edition are both enhanced versions of the PS360 version but both have taken different routes in that enhancement.

They both have 1080p and TressFX and the definitive version also has "a new particle system, new lighting work and enhanced shadow-casters, tons of more visual storytelling elements (more debris, more details on walls, more density in the environment for vegetation) and upgraded characters (new face model and body textures for Lara)."

That's all great but when you look in the options menu of the PC version is also has "ultra" options (which one has to assume in 2013 is beyond the PS360 settings) for textures, shadows, level of (world) detail, depth of field and SSAO. It also has extra checkboxes for tessellation (which we know is even lacking in the definitive edition), post processing and high precision.

So it's reasonable to assume that many of the enhancements in the definitive edition are already in the PC version, perhaps in a different implementation, and that both version have effects that the other lacks. Don't get me wrong, there are some impressive things in the definitive edition that are definitely beyond the PC version and I expect on balance and in 2D mode the definitive edition is still the better one - but it's not a super-sample of the PC version and the differences may not be as great as is made out in some of the write ups.

I expect that's why we won't see these new effects patched into the PC version. They're likely incompatible (and in some cases inferior) to the changes already made for the PC version.

I haven't played the PC version, but it seems that in the video about the definitive version there was several features added that wasn't just higher res textures. And i don't even know what requirements the PC version would have to compare to the "definitive" version.

So however we might think of definitive it's seem to be the best console version, what a surprise :)

I haven't played the PC version, but it seems that in the video about the definitive version there was several features added that wasn't just higher res textures. And i don't even know what requirements the PC version would have to compare to the "definitive" version.

The PC version is much more than higher res textures as well though, at least going off the menu options and performance. In performance terms at max settings and 1080p a GTX 680 will get around 50fps which means in performance terms the PC version at max is about as taxing as the definitive version - both at 1080p.

So there's a clearly a lot more going on there than just resolution, textures and TressFX otherwise performance would be far higher than it is.

Again let me stress though that there are some clear and obvious advantages of the definitive edition that are lacking from the PC such as Lara's new skin effects and her physics correct equipment.

Lara's boobs jiggle when she shakes her body, I wonder if tessellation would work well with that kind of physics since I do recall animators have less control of a fully tessellated character model.
think I revealed too much in a public forum about a female character's authentic physical behavior

So...apparently this game is now 99% 60fps on PS4..?

I just wish more people adapted the bioshock standard. With games like this, you could opt for a locked 30 or something over it. Like two choices. Meh, i'll take it though.

Wow,no console parity here.

I'm gonna really enjoy the Digital Foundry breakdown of this definitive edition.
Wonder what made them go for an unlocked framerate though. Doesn't that affect screen tearing?

I still prefer they push the PS4 version's visual to 100% at 1080p/30fps, maybe 720p on the Bone. I'm perfectly fine with 30fps for 3rd person action games like this so more graphics the merrier. Oh well it bodes well for the sequel for a massive graphics upgrade at least on the PS4.

Back