Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Is the game using CGI for cut scenes and cinematics? There is a small difference in quality between the two.

Everything is real-time and models in cutscenes are the same as in gameplay, You have even same expression in gameplay as in cutscenes thanks to their joints technology.

This one is so good I can't believe it is from the game. :oops:

r5.jpg

Wow I thought that was a real pic at first. Very excited for the future now :smile:

Impressive jump in character rendering quality since E3. Hiring all that movie VFX talent working at Crytek has turned out to be a very good move.

Crytek said that the fidelity is the same in all parts of the game.

One important thing to remember is that cutscenes can stream pre-calculated vertex deformations for practically anything. Dynamic simulations, cloth, even facial animation can all be finetuned without game engine system limitations.

Nevertheless, the shading and lighting are still always realtime and very nicely done.

One important thing to remember is that cutscenes can stream pre-calculated vertex deformations for practically anything. Dynamic simulations, cloth, even facial animation can all be finetuned without game engine system limitations.

Actually, they are doing that even in gameplay for ton of stuff. Thats exactly what they were talking about in Autodesk presentation.

I was talking about the characters - during gameplay, the interactivity keeps them from streaming deformation data to those meshes. Anything non-interactive in the backgrounds is of course different, I think the example was the galleon crashing on the beach.

Oh, You meant that for example main characters cloth simulation is pre-calculated in cutscenes to prevent some collision issues? Yeah, they probably did that in more crucial parts to increase image consistency.

I guess that's very apparent when you compare to this image to this gameplay footage. One shows incredible water, and the other shows surprisingly basic water with some splash textures splatched on. I say surprising because the game has really pushed forwards some aspects of console game rendering, like the dense foliage and the shaders, but the water is if anything a step backwards from some of the dynamic deformations of this gen. I wonder why the water has zero waves, especially considering the hardware has tessellation and displacement support?

I have no clue, I'm not familiar with programming water or even any of the simulation stuff our Houdini guys are producing. I already had to delegate anything not related to characters, to newly hired or appointed leads, years ago :)

I guess that's very apparent when you compare to this image to this gameplay footage. One shows incredible water, and the other shows surprisingly basic water with some splash textures splatched on. I say surprising because the game has really pushed forwards some aspects of console game rendering, like the dense foliage and the shaders, but the water is if anything a step backwards from some of the dynamic deformations of this gen. I wonder why the water has zero waves, especially considering the hardware has tessellation and displacement support?

There are waves, just quite small. The water is rendered in the same way as in Crysis 3 on PC, its tessellated with FFT deformation.

Made a video from editor.
First part is from terrain that is set to 22 height, in second it set to 21,55. There is difference in deformation. Earlier footage from combat video, probably had deeper water and they also decreased wave size, which i havent really tried to do in SDK :)
http://youtu.be/OLYP4qSO1Bo

Oh and interaction will be better for different objects than in this editor video. For example in Crysis 2 and Crysis 3, water reacts differently to character steps and differently to big objects moving through the water, like here:
http://youtu.be/6xGlY7AFxCo
http://youtu.be/HP4Vc6r-4GY

Last edited by a moderator:
The visuals are fantastic. It's really impressive. That said, I'm not sold on this one until I can play a demo and see what I think of the gameplay, because I'm skeptical at best. People who are in it for the graphics should love it though.

Best skin shader in any game shown so far.

It's good they finally added that. Previous versions of the engine only allowed morph targets for faces so everything else like cloth had to be simulated in realtime.

The water in the first image and the gameplay footage has the same quality. The only difference is the camera angle and lighting environment. Since the first shot is almost parallel to the water reflections are much more visible and help show off the waves more (fresnel), not to mention that the first one is in direct lighting while the other is in the shade.

I have to admit that this game look incredible, the best graphic I have seen so far.

When I think to the next gen platforms the first thing that comes in my mind is this game, is ryse, marius, the combat scenes in the grass field, the ancient roman backgrounds etc...

It will be the gear of war of X1 ... available on day1.

The water in the first image and the gameplay footage has the same quality. The only difference is the camera angle and lighting environment. Since the first shot is almost parallel to the water reflections are much more visible and help show off the waves more (fresnel), not to mention that the first one is in direct lighting while the other is in the shade.
You might be right. The low angle of the capture exaggerates the ripples, and would hide the splash texture from obviously being a texture decal. In motion from above, the white splashes are obviously simple additions.

I surprised at all that screen tearing in the new video while running at sub 1080 and likely not a locked 30fps.

Back