*God Of War 3 Thread v2.0 + Interview Stig Asmussen

Does it really matter where 'the cut' is, at this point? I mean, the game is doing things that will not be matched for a very long time, both in terms of imagination and how the technology helps bring that imagination to reality.
Obviously that long sweep between mountains and titans at the beginning is recorded, as all that stuff would take an enormous amount of memory - unless it's all streamed. But other than that the game looks exactly the same in the realtime parts!

If the developers managed to direct such a huge scale cut scenes in real time then some quite of an extra achievement

All other talented developers such as Naughty Dog or Ninja Theory due to the complexity of the scenes they used pre-recordered videos that used in game assets. If they did it in real time then WOW

28r2yxz.jpg

First Impressions
Here are my thoughts on the game after 5 hours of game time. To summarize, it's already my favorite game in the series. The first 30 mintues are so extremelyintense and unlike anything I've ever seen that I cannot do it any justice by trying to explain it to you--it simply must be experience first hand. I'll not spoil a thing but I do want to say that right out of the gate you're going to be totally pulled in--especially if you're a fan of the series. Even if you've never seen the ending of GoW2 you simple cannot image--and I cannot sit here and explain to you well enough--how moved you will be by what you're about to experience. Though it's a cheesy analogy to use, it's like the game is Kratos' blades and they've completely hooked themsevles in you, throwing you about, as you try to scramble to make sense of things. It's stupid crazy and simply goddamn amazing! You'll want to sit people down--even if they're not gamers--to show them what video games are like in 2010.

Visuals (Starting here because there is so much talk about it)
Let me just get this out of the way--God of War 3 is the best look video game I've ever seen. This includes Crysis on my highend PC, Gears of War 2 and even the amazingly well presented Uncharted 2. To be clear, this doesnt mean that just the graphical fidelity of the textures is the highest resolution of the bunch, it means a lot more! For me that means the animations, character models, level designs, architecture, lighting, frame rate, cinematography and overall aesthetics all seem to come together magically to produce the most impressive visuals to date. Again, for me.

I do think that some people out there are going to heartily disagree with me as they point to Uncharted 2s amazing presentation, and they would probably be right. Hey, it's totally subjecive and some people are just going to prefer the look of other games, and that's totally ok.

To answer some questions: Yes the frame rate is rock solid (as in seemingly 60FPS solid.) There have been 1 or 2 instances where the framerate took a little bit of a dip, but it's practically not worth mentioning. There is zero tearing. It runs at 720P and, again, it looks marvelous!

Gameplay
This is the final act in the God of War series and the core gameplay has changed very little, and it's damn proud of that. Santa Monica Studios (SMS) had no plans from the get-go to push things forward in the genre--and frankly that's fine by me, especially after playing it. But that's not to say that things havent been honed to produce a better gameplay experience--it has! Switching weapons can now be done with the D-pad (finally). All the weapons poses their own power (L2) that can be performed at the use of magic, and normally these are some kind of 'area of effect' thing. They're useful in their own right and just look damn cool. There is now a stamina bar and thank god (heh) it has nothing to do with limiting running or punching in any way--it limits your use of the bow and other certain other weapons that--I will not spoil at this time--so you can't spam them. Generally I'm a guy who doesnt like stamina meters at all but I feel this is a very mild implimentation as it refreshes rather quickly.

I'm very happy to say that, so far, I've used all the weapons very evenly through the game. Yes, the blades are still the main weapons and kick much ass, but unlike previous games in the series the alternat weapons have their benefits. The running, jumping, slamming, flying, winging and flaying all feels exactly as it should--perfect.

Plot
Without spoiling a thing for those--like me--that are interested in the narrative I'll say that the game is still very much fueled on Krato's revenge. At it's heart It's about wrapping up the story arc and learning more about Kratos as a character--yes, GoW3 is more character driven this time around. That means it's not character driven like Heavy Rain but that it's more character driven than GoW2 and more like GoW1. I will say I've always accepted Kratos' story for what he's become even though I could not relate to him at all. I just generally thought he was an interesting character and enjoyed watching him develop, but I wasnt really expecting to begin to dislike him. Yes Kratos has always been extremely arrogant, but he had a drive of revenge that was understandable. In GoW3 his revenge has reached new levels and it's now begining to turn me off a bit as it's blinded him in more ways than ever. Again I'm only 5 hours in so who knows, this could be all part of the plan right? :)

Sound/Music
Boom! Boom! Boom! goes the pounding of the battle drums. The music, sound effects and ambient noises are top notch and what you should expect out of the game. I cannot spoil anything by explaining some of the really great things you'll hear because of the relevance to their locations so I'll just leave it at that.

Notes:
- (VERY SLIGHT SPOILER) The very first time you meet up Hephaestus your jaw will drop. I mean it! It's stunning. It's amazing. All the technology comes together to produce a moment in gaming where you will think--I've never ever seen anything like this before. It's an epiphany.

- I got to the section of the game where the demo takes place and the differences are incredible! There have been so many new things added--and not just in terms of graphical effects--that it makes the demo look like it was 20% done.

Again my out-of-the-loop-stuck-under-a-rock-the-last-4-years comes to bite me in the ass, but i saw a video somewhere showing how the final GOW3 runs smoother than the demo. Ok got that.
Thing is, the video was showing how the final built runs at 40-45 fps at times (amazing side by side with the demo running at 30 fps, but i digress).
Now, how can that be without tearing, with V-sync enabled? I know i'm missing something...

Again my out-of-the-loop-stuck-under-a-rock-the-last-4-years comes to bite me in the ass, but i saw a video somewhere showing how the final GOW3 runs smoother than the demo. Ok got that.
Thing is, the video was showing how the final built runs at 40-45 fps at times (amazing side by side with the demo running at 30 fps, but i digress).
Now, how can that be without tearing, with V-sync enabled? I know i'm missing something...

Your TV always shows 60 frames per second (for simpllicty we won't go into 120-240-480hz TV's), in a 30 fps game, each frame the console draws is displayed twice, in a 60 fps game, once. In a 45 fps game, some frames are displayed twice (because the new one is not ready) and some aren't. This can introduce judder, just like when you watch a 24fps movie on a 60hz TV, and when the camera pans, you can see something's not smooth but can't point it out.

An interesting idea would be to enable 40fps output to be displayed judder free on 120hz TV's, it would be a nice compromise., or 48fps output in 240 hz TV's.

Your TV always shows 60 frames per second (for simpllicty we won't go into 120-240-480hz TV's), in a 30 fps game, each frame the console draws is displayed twice, in a 60 fps game, once. In a 45 fps game, some frames are displayed twice (because the new one is not ready) and some aren't. This can introduce judder, just like when you watch a 24fps movie on a 60hz TV, and when the camera pans, you can see something's not smooth but can't point it out.

An interesting idea would be to enable 40fps output to be displayed judder free on 120hz TV's, it would be a nice compromise., or 48fps output in 240 hz TV's.

But... Would a variable framerate above 30fps (anything between 30 and 60) be 'smoother' than a game that's fixed at 30fps?

I would have said no. I watched Monster's Inc. on BRD a few weeks back for the first time on my new, cheap, Samsung 24Hz capable TV, and it looked amazing. I was gobsmacked how smooth it was considering there's no movie interpolation on this bottom-range TV. 24 Hz without duplicate frames is far smoother than 24Hz with duped frames. I would expect a consistent 30fps to be smoother than alternate doublings of frames. Choosing 45fps seems odd to me. I'd need to see it to believe it's worth doing.

I would have said no. I watched Monster's Inc. on BRD a few weeks back for the first time on my new, cheap, Samsung 24Hz capable TV, and it looked amazing. I was gobsmacked how smooth it was considering there's no movie interpolation on this bottom-range TV. 24 Hz without duplicate frames is far smoother than 24Hz with duped frames. I would expect a consistent 30fps to be smoother than alternate doublings of frames. Choosing 45fps seems odd to me. I'd need to see it to believe it's worth doing.

That's what i thought. So what's the point of having a GOW3 running at a variable framerate -albeit higher than 30fps - when it's perfectly fine at a fixed 30fps? I don't think it's a game that needs 60fps and i rather have a fixed -but slower- framerate than a slightly higher but variable one. No?

Also: This game brutal. Really brutal. Like FUCKING no-joke brutal. I've never winced at a video games violence and gore like I have in this one. I almost turned away in one particular scene in the game. Madworld was sort of a caricature of violence and gore, here it's wrapped in the insane fidelity--it's just nasty.

That's what i thought. So what's the point of having a GOW3 running at a variable framerate -albeit higher than 30fps - when it's perfectly fine at a fixed 30fps? I don't think it's a game that needs 60fps and i rather have a fixed -but slower- framerate than a slightly higher but variable one. No?

I thought it varies between levels or sections, but not constantly changing between 30-60. I'm not sure though.

Also: This game brutal. Really brutal. Like FUCKING no-joke brutal. I've never winced at a video games violence and gore like I have in this one. I almost turned away in one particular scene in the game. Madworld was sort of a caricature of violence and gore, here it's wrapped in the insane fidelity--it's just nasty.

:| Worse than Helios' head-ripping? :(

I thought it varies between levels or sections, but not constantly changing between 30-60. I'm not sure though.

The DF analysis indicates 30-60fps at all times...

That was my impression as well. I played the demo yesterday and it looks gorgeous, but I'm going to pass on this one. Too violent for my taste. Not that BF:BC2 is not a violent game, but the violence in GOW3 is too explicit, not my cup of tea.

Still interested in the technology behind the game, though.

I almost turned away in one particular scene in the game. Madworld was sort of a caricature of violence and gore, here it's wrapped in the insane fidelity--it's just nasty.

That was my impression as well. I played the demo yesterday and it looks gorgeous, but I'm going to pass on this one. Too violent for my taste. Not that BF:BC2 is not a violent game, but the violence in GOW3 is too explicit, not my cup of tea.

Are you (and all other "it is to brutal") guys serious? Did you play the other GOW (no not God of War, but Gears of War!!)?

Criticizing GOW because of its violence is like criticizing Mass Effect for being science fiction, or is like criticizing GTA for beeing open world, or criticizing Sing Star for having to sing...the brutality is part of the game and its universe, there is no alternative!

Are you (and all other "it is to brutal") guys serious? Did you play the other GOW (no not God of War, but Gears of War!!)?

Criticizing GOW because of its violence is like criticizing Mass Effect for being science fiction, or is like criticizing GTA for beeing open world, or criticizing Sing Star for having to sing...the brutality is part of the game and its universe, there is no alternative!

The soundtrack is great, the graphics are top notch, and the technology has no rival. It's all they have left.

Hey, I still have some issues with the art style ;)

(though after viewing the Gametrailers review, the tech side looks even more impressive)

Are you (and all other "are you serious for not liking excessive and gratuitous violence") guys serious?

Do you understand what I mean? He likes what he likes.

I can't understand why there are so many gamers that criticize when others don't like that kind of content. They want to be free to play whatever they want, without censorship, but they seem bothered by the mere fact of someone not LIKING it. I don't think you're this kind of person (the gamers I mentioned), exactly, so I think that you will understand.

Hey, I still have some issues with the art style ;)

(though after viewing the Gametrailers review, the tech side looks even more impressive)

At this stage in the game it's a bit like saying 'What an amazing dog. But does it miaow?'.

Are you (and all other "are you serious for not liking excessive and gratuitous violence") guys serious?

Do you understand what I mean? He likes what he likes.

I can't understand why there are so many gamers that criticize when others don't like that kind of content. They want to be free to play whatever they want, without censorship, but they seem bothered by the mere fact of someone not LIKING it. I don't think you're this kind of person (the gamers I mentioned), exactly, so I think that you will understand.

I think you have interpreted my post wrong.
I want to make it clear: I do not criticize people when they don't like explicit violence - of course everyone has its own taste, which is perfectly fine...I mean it would be idiotic to criticize someone if he don't like violence!

What I do criticize is, when people look at a game which is (not(!!) defined by its violent content but is) well known for its ultra bad ass violent "I don't make friends...
I even killed my family because I had to
" main character Kratos (and Kratos is indeed IMO what defines God of War ;-)) and than state that the game is to violent.

What is the alternative? Make it less violent, make his moves less brutal, give him long blonde wavy hair like in the old greek adventure movies? Of course you can do it, and then the tech would still be great and the soundtrack as well and the graphics would be astounding...but then you don't have a God of War game anymore, but something different!

But hey...maybe I am overreacting here (because we are talking about GOW 3 here! and back in time, GOW2 was my only sanity justification for having a 600 Euro launch PS3) and it is time to move on (I had the very same discussion with other people about Gears of War 2 being to violent)

peace everyone :love:
:mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back