NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

My business trips aren't that boring, that I need to waste my spare time in front of any sort of PC LOL :devilish:

It's hard to spend 2+ weeks in China without some down time, though I almost never use it for gaming...books and cinema are more common.

GF108 mobile
S11583541.jpg

What? So now you are basically retreating and assuming GF104 will be comparatively better than a GTX480?

Say what?

You know the GTX460 will be slower than the GTX465, yet a suitable clocked GF104 might be a better option than a GTX470

What if the magic number is 48?
;)
42. Definitely 42.
Less seriously (what could possibly be more serious than 42?), I don't see how Fermi scales to anything not a multiple of 32 unless they spend more engineering resources on it than it's probably worth. As I said in the past (i.e. it wasn't likely then, it's less likely now, but that has never stopped me before!) I think it's more likely they scale the number of TMUs per block of 32 SMs to different multiples of 2.

Say what?

You know the GTX460 will be slower than the GTX465, yet a suitable clocked GF104 might be a better option than a GTX470

It took a mighty long time for G92 (add metal spins, die shrinks, metal spins again etc.) to go from 112SPs@1.5GHz (8800GT) to 128SPs@>1.8GHz (9800GTX+). Hell they're still selling G92's under the GT330 name today.

Hence the "this is the new 8800GT" lines.. It's not an 8800GT when it comes to performance, yet but it might prove golden for nV later on.

I don't see how Fermi scales to anything not a multiple of 32 unless they spend more engineering resources on it than it's probably worth.
One possibility would be to simply cut off half of the ALUs, making essentially a half-SM-chip. Much like GT218 probably was (and still is) a one-out-of-three SMs enabled product.

Sure, but you cannot argue, that it would be easier to just disable 16 out of already existing 32 ALUs (or one out of two lanes) than to use 16 ALUs which aren't there in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hence the "this is the new 8800GT" lines.. It's not an 8800GT when it comes to performance, yet but it might prove golden for nV later on.

So that could mean also that it has more shader horsepower than we expect? 8800GT had 112 shaders after all, shy from the 128.

Back