NVIDIA GF100 & Friends speculation

It does get its own web page as well....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gf100.html

And next generation GeForce GPUs provide the incredible graphics horsepower to run your game in 3D stereo, across 3 panels, at HD resolutions up to 1920x1080.
3x 2560x1600 isn't possible? Or is that a limitation of the stereoscopic 3D (dual-link bandwidth at 120Hz not enough?)? Maybe non-stereo works on 3x 2560x1600 displays?

Jawed

3x 2560x1600 isn't possible? Or is that a limitation of the stereoscopic 3D (dual-link bandwidth at 120Hz not enough?)? Maybe non-stereo works on 3x 2560x1600 displays?

Jawed

we already discussed it around CES (when it showed up on slides) and it's a bandwidth problem.. browse back if you want to.

So the "major announcement" was nothing but the (already more or less known) launch date: http://www.nvidia.com/object/paxeast.html (from http://twitter.com/NVIDIAGeForce )

People laughed when I first mentioned the bar bet! They aren't laughing now. So get to PAX east and buy up all those cards. JHH plans to grab all the ES he can, slap some sticker on it, OC it, and give the PE editions to the end users. All part of the plan: "response was so good at PAX that the whole supply sold out, so we'll have to delay release to our OEM and Retail partners."

Really ? Can you buy one now ?

Did you ever hear about price inflation/gouging of a soon to be released product ?
Even when its released I wont be able to buy one. $670 for a video card ? Better make me tea and do the dishes.

Also these are MSRP's so the inflation/gouging as you call it will only drive the price o greater heigts. Look at the 5970. ITs MSRP is $600 but its gone for upwards of $800 on newegg and still commands $50-$100 over MSRP when they are instock at newegg.

Proof ?
And do me a favor when (if) you do provide proof: Don't just quote "Charlie". Actual sources are required.

What proff do you wnt in a pre release speculation post ? YOu might want to reread what I said and Why I said it.

The gtx 480 is priced $70 higher than the 5970. The 5970 is a dual chip card. Thus the 5970 is cheaper than the gtx 480. If the cards perform similar or the 5970 (a dual chip card) performs better then the only reason for nvidia t price the card so high is because its very expensive to make and there will be few of them made and thus high price with limited ovlume will keep demand down.

Nvidia has had about 6 months to see the prices of the 5870 and 4 or so for the 5970. So they know exactly where their cards fall performance wise and price wise.

Really? How do we know this? Sabre's price slip may turn out to be accurate and not already erring on the side of max profit, but at this point it still feels like a guess.

At some point, even car analogies break down.

Wait....

Your right , it may be wrong. But once again we are in a speculation thread and I'm speculating off the information that is coming out.

I odn't see whats wrong with speculating in a speculation thread.

Perhaps a rename should be done to the thread if speculation is no longer welcome.

We like our speculation to come with a bit of thought, consideration, knowledge and insight wherever possible. Where was the "I think this is an MSRP, so I suspect it's on the low side and retailers will add some margin because of demand", or whatever? You know, the speculation part?

Don't bitch and moan about not being able to speculate when you didn't even do so.

We like our speculation to come with a bit of thought, consideration, knowledge and insight wherever possible. Where was the "I think this is an MSRP, so I suspect it's on the low side and retailers will add some margin because of demand", or whatever? You know, the speculation part?

Don't bitch and moan about not being able to speculate when you didn't even do so.

I'm not sure what is wrong with my post.

Originally Posted by eastmen
So the 480 is now priced higher than the msrp of the 5970 ?

I don't really have a good feeling about this. If the 5970 is faster nvidia is in alot of trouble. A cheaper dual card with faster performance.

ALso it seems charlie is right that the 5970 is cheaper for ati to make than the gtx480.

I think I made it quite clear in my post that I was speculating and asking questions. I used question marks and words like IF and seems.

I would apreciate it if you can point out how i could have made it more clear that I wasn't stating fact and was speculating.

I think I made it quite clear in my post that I was speculating and asking questions. I used question marks and words like IF and seems.
Not enough of them. Exhibit A, and the bit that's clearly being discussed (although I think you know that, you sexy troll you :love:). If you read my post again, I explain why this isn't great:
jvd said:
Also these are MSRP's so the inflation/gouging as you call it will only drive the price o greater heigts.
Get it? Reads like fact :runaway:
eastmen said:
I would apreciate it if you can point out how i could have made it more clear that I wasn't stating fact and was speculating.
Look up!

ah your talking about a follow up post then not the intial post called out by another poster.

All good. I will try to keep using question marks on follow ups.

So how big is this market at the top end of the spectrum and is it likely to grow due to new technologies like 3D/Display spanning or is it likely to shrink/stay stable balanced by the fact that people who previously needed the highest tier cards don't need the highest end GPUs to run their games anymore?

The biggest games and the most popular games tend to be the games which don't require anything like the 5870 or GTX 480 class performance. I've already seen 120+ FPS on Bioshock 2 on a 5870 so this makes me curious about the market dynamics we're looking at here. We have laptops now filling out the middle/lower tier GPU classes now so theres quite a bulge of chips in the lower 1/3rd of the performance sprectrum relative to these cards.

Back