AMD: R9xx Speculation

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/amd-hd6970-update-and-performance-indicators/

Speculations gets me confuse.......

Kitguru frequently receives inside information on upcoming products and often we publish the news just as we get it - sure we aren’t always popular with some company executives for doing it, but we can live with that.

Last night we were given a very detailed listing from a reputable source relating directly to performance levels for upcoming AMD graphics card products, not yet in the public domain. These performance figures were incredible and our news team decided to post a quick news article until I had time to analyse the figures myself later.

I spoke directly with some very close sources to AMD to get confirmation on the performance figures we received. As there is already much confusion relating to the HD6970 part we felt it was important to update everyone as to what we have heard a short while ago. Although I can vouch for this source as 100% accurate, I cannot reveal their identity.

Just to clarify for our readers: The HD6970 is not aimed at the GTX580 price point and therefore will not perform to the same levels. We are fairly certain that it will be a stunning value for money solution however.

The figures we received which formed the basis of the earlier newspost were for another card in the upcoming AMD range and as such needed clarification. We cannot detail further information at this time as we are under NDA with AMD and will not break these terms. You can rest assured however that the upcoming cards from AMD are going to be absolutely stunning. Nuff’ said.

Can anyone make head or tail from this?!

So he is saying HD6970 is slower than GTX580 but will be much cheaper and supposedly there's another card in the pipe which they got performance figures for that will blow our minds?

The only other card we know of is dual-gpu HD6990. But performance would hardly blow our minds, it's dual gpu after all. Or is it?

So with the latest rumors its slower than the Gtx 580, or should i say not much faster than the 5870?

Just to clarify for our readers: The HD6970 is not aimed at the GTX580 price point and therefore will not perform to the same levels. We are fairly certain that it will be a stunning value for money solution however.

The HD6970 is not aimed at the GTX580 price point and therefore will not perform to the same levels. We are fairly certain that it will be a stunning value for money solution however.
Notice, that statement won't be false, if the HD6970 is 100$ cheaper and 30% faster than GTX580. ;) I cannot think of other combinations of price and performance ratios that would be "stunning", that wouldn't get into the Barts price range, or near GTX580 performance.

I am still curious to hear why AMD first confirmed the 22 nov launch date, then two days later shifted it three weeks. They got information about the (low) stock of the GTX580? Don't have much stock of Caymans and didn't want to run out of it before Christmas, so they delayed it a bit, not seeing a threat from the improved Fermi?

That could seriously backfire in some parts of the world, for example where sellers increase prices at launch to milk early adopters/those uniformed thinking the 6870 is an upgrade to 5870 or maybe the 6970 is an upgrade to 5970. In my region the HD6870 was 25% more expensive at launch than it is now! And it still needs to drop a bit to match the pricing difference there should be compared to 6850, which is priced correctly! (note: the falling dollar prices could play some part in that too, but not the whole!)

My point is: the customer might get ripped of in the end and delay their decision/buy the competitors card if it faster and priced similar.

I sure hope it's not another case of 20% better than previous gen. Make it 15% excluding the clock bump. After one full year.

That would be even more pathetic than GTX580. Unless it's some 'wonder chip' with die size close to Barts and priced at $300 I really fail to be stunned.

I don't believe in problems with TI mosfets
Come on, you don't find such problem 2 weeks before launch - PCBs have to be ready at such moment if you want to ship them in time.
Clearing inventory? How much inventory can be cleared for 3 more weeks? Will it be better for your image to postpone a launch and set-up partners in order to "clear inventory" in the last moment?

So the question is: what is this problem which they can't solve for a week, but believe will be solved for 3 more weeks.
DB already said that depending where the produced cards are, a simple BIOS change can take month(s).
My guess: either serious driver problem, serious but one that can be solved&verified for 2 weeks (they hope so), either surprised from 580, they had shot too low with Caymen frequencies and since they see oportunity&ability to safely increase these decided to go and shoot

I thnk you misread. There isn't a problem with the mosfets, rather there was a limited amount of available stock of mosfets that apparently was the problem.
And they found out 2 weeks before launch? :rolleyes:
And instead of limited amount at launch and explain supply will get better in 3 weeks, they postpone for 3 weeks?
Fine, but if that's what Marketing department thinks as best way of handling limited amount of components, these guys don't deserve to be paid.

So with the latest rumors its slower than the Gtx 580, or should i say not much faster than the 5870?

Doesn't compute.

If 6970 were less than 30% faster than 5870, then 6950 would be very close to 6870.

Either they found 6950 could compete with the GTX580 and decided to tweak something a little (frequencies, driver), or they found a last minute bug in the driver.

But somebody from AMD promised that the whole lineup will be updated this year. What's wrong with them? Are they going to fail like nVidia with GF100? Why is Antilles delayed for Q1 2011? That can be even launch in March... :cry: Almost half a year from now. :(

Back