AMD: R9xx Speculation

So much for Fuads 'biggest GPU ATI ever made'. This thing will be below 380mm2 and performance close to GTX580.

The thing with trying to hold rumor sites to their word is that they always have the option of bending semantics, eg biggest gpu ever can also mean most transistors ever.

The thing with trying to hold rumor sites to their word is that they always have the option of bending semantics, eg biggest gpu ever can also mean most transistors ever.

Or biggest AMD GPU ever :LOL: You can only compare it to Barts really ...

What is AMD's position on Tessellation? I read some snippets when it came to the Hawx 2 demo but not enough to get an understanding if AMD/Nvidia are on the same page or not.

My crazy idea: 1920 SPs (VLIW5) = 1536 SPs (VLIW4). Better said: 1536 SPs (VLIW4) are as good as 1920 SPs (VLIW5).
Not technical, but it's good for some fun.

So the family is called Northern Islands, but the chips are named after islands in the south of the Northern Hemisphere, and individual products are named after… random birds?

What the hell?

AMD guy: "nVidians'll never know what hit them"

I don't know what you are smoking but people expect Cayman to be the fastest GPU on the market. I think you have to re-think and re-read everything. :LOL:

I think AMD (Former ATI graphics) will be the faster single GPU for Q4-2010 until Nvidia responds next year 2011 with GF110 bug fix Fermi second edition; but then again we don't know how fast cayman will be and maybe GTX580 will be to slow against Cayman.

EDIT: I really can't stand paper-launch GPU's and that is what Nvidia doing for 2010 with GTX580 (Proper name should have been GTX490)......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what you are smoking but people expect Cayman to be the fastest GPU on the market. I think you have to re-think and re-read everything. :LOL:

Seeing as how every source out three is talking about AMD readying its return to the high end GPU game... going to go ahead and save this quote ;)

However , we still need to make up for the lost efficiency of processing transcendental operations , so 1536 ALU might be a little insufficient for that , and the need for higher ALUs count would be direr .

Maybe I didn't pay attention to the whole discussion... But who did say that the unit that has to go is the "fatty" one?
I mean, to me it doesn't make sense at all to eliminate the only unit capable of doing transcendental operations... It would mean to rethink all units (making them all special operations - capable), while they could make it easier and just trim one out of the four "simple" units...

EDIT: obviously, this is true unless AMD deliberately wants to have spec ops done much slower than in past...

Some rumored specs from Fuad. If true, how in world could this card be much faster than the 5870?

http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/20759-some-cayman-radeo-hd6970-specs

Yup, it doesnt make sense. Charlie Demerjian went on record saying that 4 Cayman shaders represent roughly 98% of the Cypress 4+1 combination.
1536 SP is rather close to 98%, being 96%. If that is case, Cayman performance will depend a lot on uncore parts of the chip, probably, because shader power will stay the same. I have a hard time coping with that.

Back