AMD: R9xx Speculation

So will Nv bring the 470 price down to fight the 6870, and then let the 460 1Gb fight the 6850? Gotta say wow to a company willing to fight a 255mm chip with a 530mm chip.
Market reality, customers wont buy slower and more expensive cards (outside of fan(atics) of course).

Better question is, will Nvidia make any profit from 460/470 after lowering the prices?

Market reality, customers wont buy slower and more expensive cards (outside of fan(atics) of course).

Better question is, will Nvidia make any profit from 460/470 after lowering the prices?

I don't think they are making any profit at current levels. Profit for nV comes from Tesla and Quadro.

Meanwhile, sources close to AMD told us that in response to this development, the red-team will fine-tune the final pricing of the Radeon HD 6800 series, to step up pressure on the competition. We expect as much as $20 to be cut on the currently expected prices of the Radeon HD 6800 series pair.
Ouch, Nvidia cant catch a brake, they have to significantly cut the prices and possible go in red, while Red team undercuts NV even more :oops:

Wish I knew what you mean. If GF100 = GF110 or GTX 580 = GTX 480 they can't sell it for anywhere near current GTX 480 prices, so why bother?

I don't think they are making any profit at current levels. Profit for nV comes from Tesla and Quadro.

nVidia's gross margin is the same like AMD's. 50%+ of their revenue coming from the geforce business, "ATi" puts only 25% into AMD's revenue stream.
They make enough profit with their geforce business, because their gross margin must be in the range of 30%+.

More Heaven 2.1 bench results from HD6870, this time with the Extreme preset:

gb4p9.jpg

gb4pb.jpg

if it has 128 TMU's in the GTX580, it will only reaffirm what I said before launch, the original specs of GF100 say 128 TMUs.

So you really believe GTX 580 is GF100 based? How much money would you put down on that? :) Note that I don't have a clue but you seem very sure of yourself.

So you really believe GTX 580 is GF100 based? How much money would you put down on that? :) Note that I don't have a clue but you seem very sure of yourself.

If Barts' pin-to-pin compatibility is a let-down to people, be sure to see some sad faces soon.

I'll PayPal you $1 if you don't say "couldn't they've just called this a GTX485?" after launch, okay?

I think the GTX460 should still turn a profit. If you look at current prices the difference between the 768MB and 1GB version is quite big, certainly more so than costs to make them should indicate. Complexity of PCB, VRM etc. shouldn't be that much higher than that of Barts XT - of course it's going to compete with Barts Pro which should be cheaper, but still I don't think it's that high. Of course the chip itself is also going to cost more, but we're talking "only" ~30% bigger die so assuming yields are comparable it should not cost unreasonable amounts of money.
GTX470 is certainly a different case. More than twice the die size (with reportedly less than stellar yields), more complex PCB (probably), more complex VRM, even needs more ram chips. I sort of expected nvidia to drop it and replace with a full-chip GF104 but looks like that's (not yet?) happening.

I'll PayPal you $1 if you don't say "couldn't they've just called this a GTX485?" after launch, okay?

How about if GTX 580 is GF100 based AND has 128 TMUs I'll paypal you $100? You deserve that much for sticking with the hair-brained story :)

Back