AMD: R9xx Speculation

FAIL, because of the time. They needed one whole year just to release this????

????????????????????????????????????????????
WHY???

I don't use to describe or define any NVidia product.

Then I can understand why you consider 6800 series a fail. Price/performance compared to GTX 460 is better but nothing spectacular.

I can't say how much money nV is making with GTX 460 but one thing is certain, they sell like hotcakes. So in that regard it's far from fail.

And I bet 6800 will sell just as well.

Simple, but this doesn't create any market advantage of this particular product. It's normal that more expensive product is faster. I mean it is not direct competitor. The same performance for less money, or more performance for this money. :rolleyes:
You know, there is also a HD6850 for less than $200. Wouldn't that be a good competitor to the GTX460? :rolleyes:

Btw., competition means competetive performance for a competetive price, not more power for the same money, the same power for less money, or even more performance for less money. Then it isn't a competetion anymore! :LOL:

The name, actually, does not disappoint me at all. They've basically moved the high-performance-midrange (or "market sweetspot", or whatever) down in price, while naming it appropriately. As their own slide states, the HD68XX is a successor to HD48XX.
For me, the disappointment would be 5D shaders. I need to buy a card soon, and I would love it to have the new architecture (and Cayman is too much for me).

...And I bet 6800 will sell just as well.

I don't think so. Always, the first choice of people is an NVidia product. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the drivers, company's reputation and so on...
I think the price/ performance ratio is the same in both cases. ;)

You know, there is also a HD6850 for less than $200. Wouldn't that be a good competitor to the GTX460? :rolleyes:

Btw., competition means competetive performance for a competetive price, not more power for the same money, the same power for less money, or even more performance for less money. Then it isn't a competetion anymore! :LOL:

I don't think so. GTX 460 may be found for 160 USD.

I don't think so. Always, the first choice of people is an NVidia product. I don't know why. Perhaps because of the drivers, company's reputation and so on...
I think the price/ performance ratio is the same in both cases. ;)

yes and yes. 6850 must have clear price/performance advantage if AMD wants to get people away from 460.

Did you see the slide with HD6850 and HD6870 sitting in the band starting from $150? :rolleyes:

Let's look for some real world benchmarks, the power consumption and the price in comparison to the GTX460. After that you may consider it again!

The price drops come with a drop in specs....so there is a disappointment the 12 month cycle added little..wrt to specs...so if there is no major changes to the arch..how is 6870 getting a slight higher 3DMV scores than 5850 with less sp.....the first guess would be the higher clocks...i see 6870 would excel in certain of 3DMV tests with a high clocks thus bringing up the scores...

wrt to the specs again...kind of disappointed in the drop in texture units..iirc that was the bottleneck of 4800 series in which a couple of games ran mightily slower than Nvidia because of texturing .... Company of Heroes come to mind....going from 4800 to 5800 was a major stepup in fps!

This price debate is kinda pointless. The market decides. If it's priced too high for it's performance, people will buy something else. And the price will be adjusted.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Everything is disappopinting, just everything. The averall performance, the price, the tesselation performance, the naming scheme. Just everything. For me there is only one word which can describe the things: FAIL.

If they can not use more advanced technology process, then why haven't they changed this so boring architecture? :devilish:

Boy you must have been really pissed at GF100.

Of course it is, but the simple fact of the matter is that 5870 had a higher TDP to disappate in the same condiditions than with RV770 or RV790 XT; its does to a better cooler design (note before anyone points out to me that RV790 was about the same or higher than Cypress XT, RV790 also had a thermal policy that revolves arounf 100C while Cypress was 90C; this allows Cypress to lower the TDP but that is a result of the better cooling)

Reference designs were heatpipe only. Cypress XT was a 4 heatpipe design while Cypress PRO used RV790's cooling.

Apologies...was i thinking of the 5970 that had vc cooling?..allin all ..i am just giving my feedback on where some consumers would like the card budget to go into....not 6 displays option..but more cooling....

No surprise that those who are going to be disappointed are those who were disappointed even before anythihng concrete came out :rolleyes:

I don't even see where official pricing has been listed, much less any real performance #'s or architecture deep dives, so why not wait 3 days before jumping to conclusions?

Can someone explain this slide? Is the improvement dependent on the tessellation factor?

Tesselation factor near 20 is enough polygons to turn your wireframe mode completly white.(the max 64 factor is surely usefull :LOL:)
It would be interesting to know who the hell finds a difference after something like factor 15 in a real moving game.:rolleyes: (maybe people at nvidia play games with wireframe on)

Tesselation factor near 20 is enough polygons to turn your wireframe mode completly white.(the max 64 factor is surely usefull :LOL:)
It would be interesting to know who the hell finds a difference after something like factor 15 in a real moving game.:rolleyes: (maybe people at nvidia play games with wireframe on)

It's just enough tessellation in AMDs opinion. Anything more is overkill. And I think they are right.

No, I am not such a person. I am just sitting here and laughing, I mean having fun...
It's always good for companies to have someone to critisize them. Right? :LOL:

I suggest you bring your pitchfork and a torch, you might want to camp out in the GF100 thread the comings weeks.

I think values above f8-10 won't be common in games for years... Already f9 creates more than hundred of triangles of a single one...

In the tea-pod demo there's not visible difference in silhouettes between f5 and f9...

It's just enough tessellation in AMDs opinion. Anything more is overkill. And I think they are right.
Nah, anything more would be just fine if they would bring GPU which would breeze trough it.
I'm sure that AMD marketing will change the tone when their GPU solves the small triangle problem. ;)

nVidia is apparently sending around eVGA GTX460 1GB FTW (=OC) editions, hoping/asking reviewers to use those against HD6800's instead of reference models

Nah, anything more would be just fine if they would bring GPU which would breeze trough it.
I'm sure that AMD marketing will change the tone when their GPU solves the small triangle problem. ;)

They may change the tone yes, but the fact remains that too much tessellation brings no visual benefits.

174837ef5sngnbwu5bg1n5.jpg
C'mon AMD, the scale starts at .8.

Back