AMD: R9xx Speculation

Not bad at all! But that still leaves room for the GTX 460 768MB to exist around the $150 mark. The GTX 470, however, is as good as dead.

Oh, and on that topic, I don't usually advertise for anything, but there's a very very good deal on newegg right now:

GTX 460 768MB for $136.78 after promo code + MIR + shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500173

Don't know how good that is, if barts hits at $175 then that extra cash (which seems to be mir) might not be worth it.

If 6850 is close enough to 5850 performance even the ultra overclocked stuff is going to drop like a rock

One word comes to my mind: disappointing.

Not only they call Barts "HD6800" with less juice than Cypress XT, but in fact it's just Evergreen done right (or less wrong, time will tell). No way I would have called that HD6800.

Even the advertisement is disappointing, they talk die size although it doesn't have anything to do with the end product.

Even the advertisement is disappointing, they talk die size although it doesn't have anything to do with the end product.

They did a good job convincing a legion of Internet jehovas that this stuff is something end users should care about with the last gen, so I'm not really sure how it is disappointing that this is the major focus again.

These slides are marked AMD confidential, which doesn't seem to indicate they are intended for mass advertising.

Die size is an interesting point of analysis of the implementation, but yes, as far as the product is concerned a 1 mm2 die priced at $200 is not better than a 400 mm2 die at the same price, all else being equal.

One word comes to my mind: disappointing.

Not only they call Barts "HD6800" with less juice than Cypress XT, but in fact it's just Evergreen done right (or less wrong, time will tell). No way I would have called that HD6800.

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Everything is disappopinting, just everything. The averall performance, the price, the tesselation performance, the naming scheme. Just everything. For me there is only one word which can describe the things: FAIL.

If they can not use more advanced technology process, then why haven't they changed this so boring architecture? :devilish:

Simple. Because a GTX460 is slower!

Simple, but this doesn't create any market advantage of this particular product. It's normal that more expensive product is faster. I mean it is not direct competitor. The same performance for less money, or more performance for this money. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have to agree with you. Everything is disappopinting, just everything. The averall performance, the price, the tesselation performance, the naming scheme. Just everything. For me there is only one word which can describe the things: FAIL.

If they can not use more advanced technology process, then why haven't they changed this so boring architecture? :devilish:

How would you describe GTX 460, good or fail?

The rest as I can't put all images in same post
5.jpg

Can someone explain this slide? Is the improvement dependent on the tessellation factor?

Back