AMD: R9xx Speculation

I'm not talking about the 5450, but the Radeon 545v :p

Ah the notebook chips. That continues to be an area of disatisfaction for me with both IHVs. I'm still waiting for either AMD or Nvidia to take the initiative there to make their naming scheme not just consistent in the mobile space, but equivalent to the desktop space. I have my doubts that either one will do that however, and it's a huge shame, IMO.

Regards,
SB

That sounds ominous. Oh well I'm sure you guys are ready for the inevitable confusion / uproar. It wont be too bad though. Lots of goodwill to burn before you're in nVidia scourge of humanity territory.

It's total nonsense.

The second digit refers to the performance segment, which itself is tied to a given price bracket.

At the moment, prices are too low to stay as is, and you suggest AMD will drop prices even more on the highest segments...

$[200-250] is what I expect to be a "7" series GPU, something with 5850ish performance at least. Anything lower (not that far from a 5770) can't take this segment, and anything in the upper segment has to perform in the same range as a 5970.

Yes, it is. Firstly, model numbers communicate relative performance not only within a given generation but also across generations,i.e today's x800 part should be faster than yesterday's x800. The 9800 GTX broke that rule but performance was still relatively close.

I don't understand why you guys are so focused on defending the possibility though. Isn't the more important question why they would do this in the first place? I can't think of a good reason. Nvidia did it cause their 65nm shrink was just a shrink with a narrower bus. In this case we're expecting performance increases across the board from AMD. Maybe those people who have undoubtedly seen the marketing material already can clue us in. For the rest of us common sense still dictates that 6870 > 5870.

Y'know, I'd love a copy of this decoder ring you guys have that the IHV's have written in stone and I don't know about. I mean is it published on their websites? Does it come in certain boxes of cereals? I wish I had one. If I buy the x-ray specs and the invisibility spray, do I get the decoder ring then?

Who's talking about written rules? Of course they can name their products however they see fit. That doesn't mean those names will make any sense.

Who's talking about written rules?

Yes, it is. Firstly, model numbers communicate relative performance not only within a given generation but also across generations,i.e today's x800 part should be faster than yesterday's x800. The 9800 GTX broke that rule but performance was still relatively close.

Where are these rules, guidelines explained? Do they only apply to existing products and are subject to change at the manufacturers discretion?

Where are these rules, guidelines explained? Do they only apply to existing products and are subject to change at the manufacturers discretion?

Their right to do what they want isn't in question. But why are you pretending like the current naming scheme doesnt have significant value? People are just commenting on the obvious confusion that would ensue with the rumored change. You haven't said anything against that beyond saying AMD has the right to do what they want, which is true.

Messageboard scorn vs making more money. What to choose, what to choose...

EXACTLY.. outside of a few fanboi/gurl message boards and forums were testosterone gets replaced with nerd rage and Ghz who really gives a rats arse ? Nv did it and yeah they drew much nerd furor however that was I'm surely greatly outweighed by the heaps and heaps of cash to help soak up the geek tears.

Why so hung on naming conventions? Price and performance will determine the cards worth. At the end of the day, consumers who follow this stuff will quickly look past the name and play the numbers game.

Even when a non enthusiast game upgrading their video card will end up on a site like Newegg and do a sort by price to see what is in their range. Then they might be inclined to go look at reviews of the cards in their price range based on the first 3 google hits. That right there is the end of the average purchase cycle.

EXACTLY.. outside of a few fanboi/gurl message boards and forums were testosterone gets replaced with nerd rage and Ghz who really gives a rats arse ? Nv did it and yeah they drew much nerd furor however that was I'm surely greatly outweighed by the heaps and heaps of cash to help soak up the geek tears.

Those "fanboi/gurl"'s aren't the ones that'll be affected or hurt by this. It's the general population who likes computers and gaming on PC but don't spend time on enthusiast/tech/gaming forums that are going to be the ones most hurt by it.

Why so hung on naming conventions? Price and performance will determine the cards worth. At the end of the day, consumers who follow this stuff will quickly look past the name and play the numbers game.

Even when a non enthusiast game upgrading their video card will end up on a site like Newegg and do a sort by price to see what is in their range. Then they might be inclined to go look at reviews of the cards in their price range based on the first 3 google hits. That right there is the end of the average purchase cycle.

I must be the only one that knows everyday professional workers that don't buy everything at newegg or even online. At my weekend gaming group other than me 1 person buys most stuff online, another occasionally buys stuff online and the rest still go to Gamestop/Best Buy/Walmart/name your own brick and mortar store.

When I mentioned how cheap 8 gigs of DDR3 were most of them were shocked as they generally buy a computer direct from an OEM and don't trust hand built computers. On the rare occasions they feel the need to upgrade (like one has to do because SC2 runs great on his comp but Civilzation 5 doesn't) they once again either go direct to the OEM or head down to best buy and buy something off the shelf.

AMD's naming scheme over the past few years since the introduction of the 3xxx series has made this a relatively painless, error free, predictable and easy process for them. They don't even need to ask me advice when it comes to the last few generations of Radeon graphics cards. Nvidia on the hand...OMG the amount of questions I've had to answer. Many have switched to Radeon cards just due to the non-hassle of buying a video card.

Obviously any name change isn't going to affect a tech enthusiast or a fanboi/gurl (from first quote). It's going to impact those people that don't have the time nor the inclination to follow forums and tech sites yet still enjoy PC gaming. Some of them never have, and some of them used to but have since stopped once they got their own house, wife, kids, etc...

And AMD's consistency since the 3xxx series has been a godsend to people like them. It's one of the reasons I've been on Nvidia's arse for the past few years about their rampant rebranding.

Regards,
SB

It's the general population who likes computers and gaming on PC but don't spend time on enthusiast/tech/gaming forums that are going to be the ones most hurt by it.

Instead of an idea can you say a real world example of this hurt? Yes we don't know the prices yet, but let's assume 6870 is 249$. A casual games goes to a store, buys the card, goes home. The only scenario where I can see even slightest problem, is if he previously had a 5870, a card that he has paid 50 % more. Why would that casual come a year or less later to the store and purchase significantly cheaper card?

If he comes from any other background, the performance of the card should not cause him any pain. Does your casual friends upgrade their gpus every year? If so then you are giving them bad advices.

Lol, apparently nobody does all of a sudden :LOL:

So confirmed then. What is Crossfire 5?

Well, someone actually released such card on HD5 series already, meaning it had 5 outputs you could use instead of 3 or 6.
But if it's indeed Eyefinity 5 on that card, it means you can use HDMI, DVI and DVI at the same time

AMD's naming scheme over the past few years since the introduction of the 3xxx series has made this a relatively painless, error free, predictable and easy process for them. They don't even need to ask me advice when it comes to the last few generations of Radeon graphics cards. Nvidia on the hand...OMG the amount of questions I've had to answer. Many have switched to Radeon cards just due to the non-hassle of buying a video card.

Regards,
SB

Yeah thats the real deal. If it wasn't for relative pricing tiers giving the same relative performance or thereabouts I would have the Nvsweats when it came to actually picking a card. I don't know which are rebrands nor trust the current naming scheme to be consistant.

...Why buyt this NEW x770 when the old x770 is $100 cheaper? so the product line-up would be 56x0 57x0 68x0 69x0 .. or 5770 gets rebranded in 6770.

Smells like an epic fail. I will repeat it one hundred times if necessary.
Why? :LOL: Because it shows much better performance comparable to the old HD 5800 series.

Why? 5700 Series was never in that price range, 4700 launched at $99.

Of course. But back then the competition was so strong, that HD 4890 was 200 USD. :rolleyes: Now its equavelent as enthusiast single GPU card costs at least as twice as much.
Honesly though, I think there is possiblity Barts XT to be HD 6770 and because of its performance between HD 5850 and 5870 (conservatively though), to be priced over 300 USD. :rolleyes: I think AMD will charge every single percent more performance.

If Cayman XT for sure will end up Radeon 6970 instead proper name that should be 6870.

This is how embarrassing and misleading it will look compare to Radeon HD5970.
6970.jpg

Back