Battlefield 3 announced

It's a little annoying but I think prone is way less of a problem than the weapons, and really just on this particular map. It's just far too easy to rape with an SVD/MK11 or to some extent support weapon. Snipers in particular though are just way too simple on this map: aim down long corridor and click button when you see movement. Keep clicking until stuff dies. Not that hard ;) I've seen even half-decent snipers get ridiculous ratios just because of the map design.

The issue is... without smoke grenades or some sort of obscurance, the only real way to counter this is with your own snipers. If there's only a few of them doing it or if their team isn't very organized then you can just push through it with revives and such but if they are decent it's pretty easy for them to lock down all the choke-points from a far enough range that you need your own snipers to counter it.

Anyways I imagine snipers will be more balanced on other maps where 1) there are more angles to flank and 2) there are vehicles, against which they appear to be pretty useless. Thus I think it's more an issue with the map than any of the game mechanics.

And even despite it, I'm still having a blast :D

Well i did have some good time on 2 or 3 servers but mostly its like WWI trench warfare. Im not a big fine of mcom mode in BF in general but its waaaaay to easy to secure choke points on this map (and not only with snipers). My problem is i hate sitting camped waiting for enemy to come so i end up dying a lot attacking. And attacking prone campers is not a thing i recommend in this game.

Dammit.. had my first hard-lock. probably heat related as it's damned warm in here. Trouble is we had a fair few B3Ders together and I was doing pretty well for myself.. Garr

Forgive me for being ignorant but someone told me the beta ends on the 10th of October. If this is true I might have a little cry to myself. I've had a google and gotten nowhere, which raises my hopes. Is it true?
It is :( We have a couple weeks gap between end of beta and retail. Fortunately for me, I am on vacation for 1.5 of them :)

And agreed Robert - 416 rapes. Even the iron sights are good on it. Best part is I no longer have to use the trashy AK ;)

One thing I'm disliking is that the game launches in windowed mode in the background and I have to bring it to the foreground and then alt + enter.
Did you set fullscreen to on in the options? Mine launches in the background but when I click "join game" or switch to it, it automatically goes fullscreen with the proper resolution. Works great.

BTW you need to apply in the battlelog to join the server too.. otherwise I can't invite you unless you are on my friends list.

I always go windowed, even though I selected fullscreen. In fact you're the first I've heard that problem doesn't affect!

Good games tonight guys.. thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sniping heaven this last game. In the tunnels things balanced a bit but geez. Also, I don't see a lot of spotting done. First part, sniper heaven I did my spotting share but I wish more would do it as we kept walking into the cross-fire.

Btw hasn't anyone unlocked the defib? My stats say I'm very close to it but I've yet to be revived or see anyone else get revived.

Tried googling this topic, and results were mixed. Some individuals are able to get a 360 pad working with the beta, or so it seems.

I can't though. Anybody else here have any success with that?

Yep just worked for me. I actually only tried by accident since I always have it plugged in. Almost impossible to control properly though. Poor console folk.

Did you set fullscreen to on in the options? Mine launches in the background but when I click "join game" or switch to it, it automatically goes fullscreen with the proper resolution. Works great.

I did it still goes windowed. :( It's not that big of a deal but it does seem like a convoluted way to launch the game.

Btw, lag wise I can't complain, I'm impressed. I also really like the HUD, Splash Damage should take notice; they always stuff the screen full of crap.

Can't wait to try some vehicles and inevitably crash a chopper right into the first palmtree. =)

Try it again, it also complained to me about not having a key, I clicked play again and it worked. Check your firewalls, to play you need to allow like 4-5 different programs (Origin, PB, Activator, BF3 Beta, etc.)

Btw hasn't anyone unlocked the defib? My stats say I'm very close to it but I've yet to be revived or see anyone else get revived.
Isn't that like one of the first things you unlock as assault? I revive people all the time, but it's true that most people don't bother, which is too bad. It's pretty important to do when attacking.

That said there are times not to accept a revive as attackers; if you get all bottle-necked up and you keep reviving you just feed points to the defending team. Reviving is really just a counter to the lone sniper that is picking off people one by one while you advance, not so much for the big firefights.

But yeah, I don't really like rush mode either, particularly with no vehicles. My biggest issue is that no matter if you kill the MCOMs in 10 seconds or with 1 point left, it resets for the next round. It should add tickets, not reset them IMHO - it's stupid that no matter how the previous push went the next one is fully independent. Makes me not even really bother trying to stop plants as a defender on the easier ones (particularly with smaller servers where they are going to get it eventually) and instead just kill people. The way the stats and progression works encourages that even more, and I don't seem to be the only one to have figured that out ;) Too common to see a bomb planted and people not even moving a muscle out of their camped positions to do anything about it.

Anyways conquest and vehicles are really what makes Battlefield great, so let's bring that on :)

I just had another example of prone abuse. One guy was sitting in that small tunnel at the beginning of the second part of the map with scoped mg. Finished the map with 32/2 kd ratio and there was not much we could do (even with rockets).

I just had another example of prone abuse. One guy was sitting in that small tunnel at the beginning of the second part of the map with scoped mg. Finished the map with 32/2 kd ratio and there was not much we could do (even with rockets).

#1 : flank him.

if you can't flank a single player. your team ain't s###.

Now for the the good stuff after talking to EA today:

Our beta build is about 2 months old, most, if not all of the stuff we complain about has been fixed, it's only gameplay balance right now.
EA people get sad, they cry, because 12 year old COD players think this is a demo.
MP will consist of 13 maps, all with different setups for the different game types. (rush, conquest, tdm etc.)
loads of modifiers to cater for the esports peeps who are still stuck with modern warfare.
max settings with the beta is "medium"
This can be considered the next "crysis" with regard to graphical demands, we're still a while away of running BF3 maxxed out on a single card.

Our beta build is about 2 months old, most, if not all of the stuff we complain about has been fixed, it's only gameplay balance right now.
EA people get sad, they cry, because 12 year old COD players think this is a demo.
MP will consist of 13 maps, all with different setups for the different game types. (rush, conquest, tdm etc.)
loads of modifiers to cater for the esports peeps who are still stuck with modern warfare.
max settings with the beta is "medium"
This can be considered the next "crysis" with regard to graphical demands, we're still a while away of running BF3 maxxed out on a single card.

Wow seriously?? I'm already hyped for this game from the current beta, and I don't even like MP. If this is true then I guess DICE just extended the lead they already had!

My only real graphical request is to beef up the quality of the deferred MSAA option a little bit to really justify the memory/performance overhead. In particular:
1) It seems like stairs and stuff like that are not getting AA'd right now. This may be due to not using normals to determine surface continuity, but that's speculation.
2) It'd be nice to have an option to do transparency AA as well. Since it's deferred shading only the alpha sampling part needs to be done at sample frequency - shading will still happen nicely at pixel frequency. There will be a cost but it'll make the foliage prettier.

Right now I disable deferred MSAA because the difference in quality is not that noticeable. I'd be happy to turn down the resolution and turn it back on though if it cleaned up some of the temporal flickering.

The whole concept doesn't even make very much sense. Sure you can always jack settings higher (higher resolutions, more samples, more AA, etc. etc) but that's hardly meaningful. We already had this discussion earlier in the thread... what they call "High" and "Ultra" is fairly arbitrary. Saying that it's really like "medium" is thus meaningless. If they want to say something meaningful, what graphical feature is not implemented here that will be in the final? Short of details like that it's all just marketing.

What's there now generally looks pretty good. I wouldn't be expecting some amazing change at release time. If anything I expect some of the other maps to look a bit nicer just due to more variety and scale (i.e. art), not technology.

If these are medium settings then I'm looking forward to some severe performance optimizations from the developer and hardware manufacturers. I find examples like Crysis poor not something that should be aimed for or championed.

Last edited by a moderator:
La9YG.jpg

wish the ingame map is like that, or like BFBC2.

the current "transparent" look cool map is unreadable for me.
i have bad sense of direction, in BFBC2 i constantly looking at minimap when moving and to aim (2d spot) then eyes back to gameplay for 3d spot.

Back