Movie Reviews 2.0

Dredd's out already!? I had NO idea!

I'm starting to feel old because movies that came out during my lifetime are now being remade during my lifetime, it seems ... it wasn't so bad when it was movies based on an old 80s series, but now it's getting a bit scary.

Why the hell is the Dredd movie a remake? It's a new adaptation of a comic and probably far more truthful to the material...

Do you consider Batman Begins a remake as well?

Why the hell is the Dredd movie a remake? It's a new adaptation of a comic and probably far more truthful to the material...

Nope, just hadn't thought of it that way ...

I've seen it referred to several times in the news as a "remake of the Stallone movie", but I think that just reflects that Dredd isn't well known internationally as a comic character. Lazy journalists who don't do their research.

Not to mention how little the Stallone movie had to do with the character in the comics. It was basically a classical Sly action movie with a Dredd theme...

Not to mention how little the Stallone movie had to do with the character in the comics. It was basically a classical Sly action movie with a Dredd theme...
He almost never wore the helmet in the movie, and so 'dat chin' was wasted..lol

Dredd's out already!? I had NO idea!

In the UK.

I'm starting to feel old because movies that came out during my lifetime are now being remade during my lifetime, it seems ... it wasn't so bad when it was movies based on an old 80s series, but now it's getting a bit scary.
Well if you think of it that way then the old movie did technically come out in my lifetime too..,..and I'm not old :p

Basically nobody over here (i.e. Europe) knows Judge Dredd comics. I did vaguely remember that it was a comic when I saw the poster, and the poster I saw at IMDB exhaled 100% the same vibe I got from the Stallone movie (which I actually thought wasn't all that typical for Sly Stallone, I thought it was, if anything, more an Arnold type movie ;) ).

If anything it looks like it would be even more ridiculously violent.

EDIT: after reading a bit at IMDb, sounds spot on: "The film is an unashamed, stripped back actioner with cinematography and music elevating it far above genre requirements. Think 'Drive', with the electronic score and city shots, but scorched of gloss. DREDD is tough and that's reflected in the architecture, the uniform, and the hardware. The judges rightfully look intimidating and brutal, and the closer-quartered combat, I felt, emphasised this. I also enjoyed the wacky array of citizens, a killer 2000AD touch."

And then I read that Slo-Mo is a drug that's basically an excuse for endless bullet-time scenes.

I won't read anymore. Mind you, may still watch it when it comes out on BluRay just for the 3D effects, because S3D is still new and fresh for me, and has proven to allow me to enjoy pretty bad movies ;) (like The Three Musketeers from 2011 I mentioned earlier)

And then I read that Slo-Mo is a drug that's basically an excuse for endless bullet-time scenes.
There aren't that many bullet time sequences, and the ones they do have are short lived. Nothing like the Zack Snyder movies.
And yes, now that I'd think of it I would indeed compare the style to Drive where in the grand scheme of things the plot appears to be small but the cinematography makes every moment feel intense.

EDIT: Funny thing about the old movie is that they actually did approach Arnold before Sly for the role but he turned it down because he was required to keep his helmet on for the entire duration of movie, ironically they later changed the script and made it so that he rarely ever wears the helmet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allright then, that sounds hopeful. A good slo-mo isn't necessarily bad anyway, and can look cool in 3D. I'll file it for somewhere in March, or whenever we can expect the BluRay 3D rental ;)

Basically nobody over here (i.e. Europe) knows Judge Dredd comics. I did vaguely remember that it was a comic when I saw the poster.

Bit of a generalization going on there... Considering that Judge Dredd is a European comic, published by a British company. I'd say plenty of people over here knows about the Judge.

I'm not sure about the actual style of the Judge's themselves nor the population and culture in the movie since I haven't seen it, but from the imagery it looks nothing like a Mega-city other than taking up a lot of square miles? It looks like a LA-version of a Mega-city. The Stallone movie portrayed a far more accurate version.

Bit of a generalization going on there... Considering that Judge Dredd is a European comic, published by a British company. I'd say plenty of people over here knows about the Judge.

Lol, shows you what I know. Could still be mostly popular in the US though ...

The Stallone movie portrayed a far more accurate version.

Possibly the Stallone version was closer to the comics in the visuals, but the characters, humour, story, etc, was very poorly adapted. The basic essence and spirit of the comics was replaced with a simplified, Hollywood version. They threw away even basic things, like Dredd never taking his helmet off.

It's like giving Superman a mask and no cape, or making James Bond a woman - it's not the same thing at all, even if it pretends to be.

I'm willing to accept this as Megacity One:

1.jpg

If it means we get a Dredd that looks like this:

dredd_510.jpg

They didn't have the budget for a lot of CGI, so you don't get to see the city as much, the movie was filmed in Cape Town by the way.

I'm pretty sure that the US market for Dredd comics is miniscule compared to the UK market, but perhaps some UK resident has better info.

I´ve done some more reading and you may well be right, though it doesn´t seem like at least the movies are really aimed at them ...

I'm pretty sure that the US market for Dredd comics is miniscule compared to the UK market, but perhaps some UK resident has better info.

2000ad was very well known in the u.k
especially Dan Dare (resurrected from eagle comics iirc)
Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper

I'd have to agree on this.
2000ad is well known among geeks all over the world ;)
So, is it any good?

Watched The Avengers this weekend, twice. First on BluRay in the main room (with good sound) and then just now in 3D in the study. 3D does really add (but so does surround sound, will have to merge the two sometime ;) ). I'd say really good job done, very satisfying after all the 'buildup' movies gone before.

While typing this I see the after credits scene, which we hadn't waited for last time ... LOL!

Also I think they did a pretty decent job with the trailers for this movie
- they were intentionally misleading, movie didn't quite go the way the trailers suggested to me.

Back