[PS3] Infamous

I just mean bland in the visual sense. I can't even remember exactly what they look like, and I played it last night. Creatively, they were uninspiring. Still, that was just one kind of enemy, and I'm assuming there are more in the retail game.

The Reapers ? They are hooded and sometimes mutated people. I can't see their faces clearly too. You will find more personality in them in the real game. There is a side mission called "Walk the Dogs" where you need to man handle a few Reapers to the police station.

You will have to zap them to do things your way.
Needless to say, they will try to rebel and escape ;-)

Cant really judge the game by the demo, even though thats what a demo is for.

I really, really like this game. About to beat it playing good, been playing since day 1. I do too many side missions, and hunting, and dont go straight thru it, but its been great fun. I plan to play thru being bad, getting a ton of moneys worth out of this game.

Wow, you guys have higher standards for demo than me. I thought I was already too picky on demoes.

I think the inFamous demo is rather meaty compared to other demoes and the repetitive inFamous trailers they showed. What it doesn't illustrate are the larger and deeper gameplay elements. The real game draws me in better because of the story and suspicious characters. The side missions are pretty varied too. They fill in other people's perspectives of the city, and allow you to gain eventual control of the game world. I don't think they can add those parts into the demo (Might as well give us the game for free :devilish:).

Plus, the core movement and shooter mechanics are well used in the demo (e.g., shoot from cover, advanced weapon). When I started the full game, I only have 1-2 electric capability. May be the complete platforming part is not in the demo but hey, it's a taste of the game. :)

Just finished my evil playthrough, and I think I'm done with this game.

One thing that slightly disappoints me is that there's no good equivalent for the 'evil to the core' status you can get at the very end of the game. It'd be cool to see a good equivalent to the inky-black lightning. One thing I noticed is that xp was more scant, even with the
1500xp bonus for activating the ray sphere
. Maybe it was just because I was more used to the game, and so was dying less.

For a Crackdown junkie like me, would you consider this one a must-have?

Id consider this a must have crackdown junkie or not :D

Most fun game ive played for quite a while definately up there with the best of this gen imo. Wasnt expecting it to be as good as it is to be honest kind of caught me by suprise. Its has its fair share of issues but the most important thing is that its just incredibly fun once you get into it.

For a Crackdown junkie like me, would you consider this one a must-have?

It's hard to say. You're a lot more powerful in Crackdown and being able to leap several stories is deeply satisfying. Infamous is a shooting game, deep down, and I think the shooting is really satisfying -- enemies are smart enough, but still fodder to you, plus as I said above the shooting controls are really really good. But that's not necessarily a plus to a crackdown junkie, since Crackdown's shooting was fairly brainless, enemies were really just there to make you look good. As your powers increase, you become increasingly able to take on huge waves of enemies, though, but early on you'll easily be killed by 3-4 enemies, especially if they're sniping you from rooftops.

Climbing's a lot easier than it is in Crackdown, Cole isn't as slippery as your agent -- to be honest, I wasn't super fond of Crackdown's 'oh, I have to jump up a few balconies? let me leap awaaaay, then back! Okay, again!' Leaping from building to building, though, riding on rails, that's all lots of fun, though, and the missions that call for it can be exhilarating. Exploration is via dead drops and shards, which can be found via the minimap.

Infamous is a story-based game, though. There's no New Game+, and once you clear out the maps, you'll have a hard time finding enemies. It's a really well-done story-based game set in an open world. There's no 'alert levels', so you can't just cause mayhem and expect to find trouble. To be honest, I'm not sure Infamous will scratch a Crackdown itch, but it is a ton of fun to play.

All of that sounds good enough for me! Besides it wasn't until the "Keys to the City" DLC that one could respawn the gangs so maybe something like that will find its way to inFAMOUS. Really tempted to break my self-imposed retail games embargo for this game (just two more weeks!).

EDIT:
Sorry, thanks for the feedback.

Just as a note, I started playing Crackdown again, my dead 360 killed my Crackdown save and made me have to restart. It's sort of funny, but I kept wishing I had Infamous' combat while playing (though getting up to level 4 guns may change that) and when I was rooftop-exploring in the Los Muertos areas, I kept seeing power lines and thinking 'geez, if I could just walk on those getting to that agility orb would be so easy!'. Which is sort of funny, I expect that if I got to Agility 4 I'd be complaining about Infamous' small jump (though with boosters you get a lot of horizontal action).

Agility 4 in crackdown is insane! Agility scales exponentially ;)

Crackdown is all kinds of awesome with skills at level 4.

Driving on vertical surfaces in the SUV. Driving off the top of the high rises in Shai Gen (Wang's tower).

Dropping cluster grenades on a stack of cars with level 4 explosive = best sound in any game, EVER.

Cheers

It's been a while, but doesn't it actually scale linearly? Like don't you get a 5 (or 10) meter boost for each level, more or less? Going by what the narrator says. Edit: I'm half-right: not meters, feet. 15, 20, 25, 30. With the increased running speed you do cover a lot more ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
I finished the story as good, epic ending. I think the story and story telling is up there with the best in the gaming world (which isn't saying too much). Great game overall, I started over as evil immediately. How any reviewer can score this game below 9/10 is beyond me, this is a must own for this gen for PS3 owners.

I finished the story as good, epic ending. I think the story and story telling is up there with the best in the gaming world (which isn't saying too much). Great game overall, I started over as evil immediately. How any reviewer can score this game below 9/10 is beyond me, this is a must own for this gen for PS3 owners.

Well I think it still has some distance to say the storytelling of Mass Effect etc. but I must say that I greatly enjoyed this game also. Very addicting game. I think I played 10h straight when I first booted the game. I have finished the main plot with 100% on the first two islands and maybe two side missions left in the final island. I was surprised that it was a relatively long game, atleast if you played most of the side missions. I have to say that I did not expect Infamous to be this good. Definately one of my favourites this gen so far.

Some things in relation to electricity was pretty weird though. How come you get damage in water?! handling the current shouldn't really be a problem. And also how come you can run out of juice when in reality you don't, meaning that you always retain the ability to shoot lighting bolts, so you can charge anything with your bolts and then charge yourself from it. Both of those are naturally due to making the game mechanics working and more balanced, but it's still pretty illogical. Didn't really bother me though.

The one thing that bothered me a bit was, that the game kind of cheated you.

The choice were you had to choose between Trish and six doctors was friggin cheating. If you chose Trish then the lone women wasn't Trish and if you chose the doctors, then that lone woman actually was Trish, meaning that'll she dies in both cases. I hate when a game does something like that. They could have killed her some other way, if it was necessary.

I played as a good guy, and I might play it again as a bad ass :)
It's very different from Crackdown, but fans of that game should like this too. I especially appreciated the fact that this is a single player game, with lot's of effort put into the single player experience. The missions in general were pretty enjoyable and there weren't any "rotten apples" in the mix like imo GTA-games usually have.

9.3/10

Some things in relation to electricity was pretty weird though. How come you get damage in water?! handling the current shouldn't really be a problem. And also how come you can run out of juice when in reality you don't, meaning that you always retain the ability to shoot lighting bolts, so you can charge anything with your bolts and then charge yourself from it. Both of those are naturally due to making the game mechanics working and more balanced, but it's still pretty illogical. Didn't really bother me though.

I wonder if the ability to charge yourself by zapping metal then draining it was entirely intended. It's sort of unnecessary, the only time it was useful was sometimes playing as evil. Playing as good means you never really run out of energy.

The choice were you had to choose between Trish and six doctors was friggin cheating. If you chose Trish then the lone women wasn't Trish and if you chose the doctors, then that lone woman actually was Trish, meaning that'll she dies in both cases. I hate when a game does something like that. They could have killed her some other way, if it was necessary.

Well, you cheated by seeing both outcomes. :D

I played as a good guy, and I might play it again as a bad ass :)
It's very different from Crackdown, but fans of that game should like this too. I especially appreciated the fact that this is a single player game, with lot's of effort put into the single player experience. The missions in general were pretty enjoyable and there weren't any "rotten apples" in the mix like imo GTA-games usually have.

Some of the side missions are dull, like surveillance and stealth ones.

I wonder if the ability to charge yourself by zapping metal then draining it was entirely intended. It's sort of unnecessary, the only time it was useful was sometimes playing as evil. Playing as good means you never really run out of energy.

Hmm.. I was out of energy all the time and was constantly charging myself from TV's, busses, fences and even from enemy bodies (all of which I had charged myself) You could get a full charge from almost anything if you zap it many times. I used lot's of the powers though and precision fire for one consumes a lot of current.

Well, you cheated by seeing both outcomes. :D

:smile: well yes but but I have the right to do it!

Some of the side missions are dull, like surveillance and stealth ones.

I didn't like the surveillance missions either, but they never took more than few minutes max, and you can't die and have to repeat them multiple times like some really annoying missions in other "similar" games.

If I use a lot of grenade and blast, my energy can run out very quickly. If I use the default electric zap and shoot people from far, I never run out.

Finally moved beyond mission 4. My problem is my save file for inFamous is at home, while my disc is at work. :)

His issue with water is something I relate to a few comic characters. Take Cyclops for example, he shoots a beam of concussive force energy from his eyes. As a child he was in an accident (hit his head) and his ability was activated. Mentally he feared he could never control hit therefore he was forced to wear ruby lense glasses to contain the energy. He can control it but its mental therefore his power is activated all the time. Also take Rogue. Her ability to absorb the life force, energy, memory, traits, and abilities of humans, mutants and alien races is always activated. If anyone touches her skin to skin, she will suck their life force. This has been proven to be a mental issue with her as she has been shown to control the abilities she gains and control when her power activates. Like Cole, I think it could be related, and it also plays to be a good play mechanic. Sorry, I showed a bit of my nerdism.

If I use a lot of grenade and blast, my energy can run out very quickly. If I use the default electric zap and shoot people from far, I never ran out.

Finally moved beyond mission 4. My problem is my save file for inFamous is at home, while my disc is at work. :)

Um, what do you do to have game discs at work :p

On the good side, I know there is the ability to recharge your health meter by successfully shooting enemies with the standard electro blast.

Um, what do you do to have game discs at work :p

I have 2 PS3s, and usually play the one at work when I'm stuck with difficult issues. :p

I happened to start inFamous at home. Didn't want to repeat some of the exploration at work. I hate grinding in general.

On the good side, I know there is the ability to recharge your health meter by successfully shooting enemies with the standard electro blast.

Really ? Is it on by default ? (I didn't notice the health recharge part). How do you do that ?

I have a feeling Cole's friends are not trustworthy (all of 'em). I guess I will find out in the end.

Back