NVIDIA GT200 Rumours & Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but I have still no idea if this ~930GFLOPs refer to MADD+MUL or only MADD, in second case it could be a bit more difficult to break the 1 TFLOPs.

from TG daily, i linked above:

referring to the memory controller
(the GTS260 will integrate a 448-bit version).

The current G92 or GeForce 8800GT/8800GTS512/9800GTX/9800GX2 CPUs are built in a 65 nm process and end up at a die size of 330 mm2. The original G80 (NV50) GPU, better known as the GeForce 8800, was manufactured in 90 nm and delivered a die size of 484 mm2.

With its new GPU generation, Nvidia is going to continue on the safe route and plan with enough spare transistors for 240 shader units (actually, 240FP+240MADD). Just like ATI's graphics parts and Sony Cell processor, this should not be considered odd. Keep in mind that the G92 chip debuted with 112 shader units and, after production had ramped up, Nvidia unlocked all the shader and texture units to create GeForce 8800GTS512, followed by the 9800GTX and GX2. ...

Typically, the CPU die spends about 66-80% of its real estate on cache and the remainder on logic; in the world of GPUs it is vice versa. Our sources indicated that the number of transistors on the GT200 will settle somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 billion – north of 900 million and south of 1.1 billion.

The production cost of a chip is determined on the amount of chips that fit on a wafer. In light of the fact that a 300mm (12") wafer carried less than 120 G80 GPUs, Nvidia will see even fewer GT200s, apparently about 100, according to what he heard.

The same will be the case with the GeForce GTX 280 and 260. The GPU will have 15 processing units (240 shader processors) available on the GTX280, while the GTX260 will come with 12 units for a grand total of 192 shader processors. This may be an indication for the complexity involved in manufacturing such a part

GT200 looks to be a monster! i just somehow know they will break 1 TFLOPs with their top performer
.. it is marketing-driven to do so, as a "milestone" for a single GPU! [imo]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, it also means a massive amount of texturing filtering ability (again). Somewhere on the order of 65 - 75MT/s. I'm not giving up on the 24 SP/cluster as yet though.

I remember when the term MT/s used to mean millions of triangles per second. Amazing it now means millions of textures processed per second :oops:

Calculate based on what if you don't mind me asking?

I think that was supposed to be a joke.....

Given that Nvidia promised a teraflop I'm thinking this is feasible:

16 clusters
2 x 8 SP multiprocessors / cluster
3 flops / SP (explains the +50%)
8 TF / cluster
500-600Mhz core clock
1300Mhz shader clock

Geforce products with 15 clusters enabled - 930 Gflops
Tesla products with 16 clusters enabled - 1 Teraflop

Of course we still have no idea how the clusters are really configured or how clocks will turn out....

Uhhhmm.....

Our sources indicated that the number of transistors on the GT200 will settle somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 billion – north of 900 million and south of 1.1 billion.

I definitely need sources to speculate of any X amount of anything :rolleyes:

I think that was supposed to be a joke.....

Given that Nvidia promised a teraflop I'm thinking this is feasible:

16 clusters
2 x 8 SP multiprocessors / cluster
3 flops / SP (explains the +50%)
8 TF / cluster
500-600Mhz core clock
1300Mhz shader clock

Geforce products with 15 clusters enabled - 930 Gflops
Tesla products with 16 clusters enabled - 1 Teraflop

Of course we still have no idea how the clusters are really configured or how clocks will turn out....

I'm extremely bad with any bets, but my gut feeling tells me that the [10*(8*3)] theory makes more sense.

just throwing it out there but how different is the 260 from the 280 besides the 448 bit bus...
and when they shut down the cores couldn't you theoretically "turned on" them or do they do something to prevent this?

just throwing it out there but how different is the 260 from the 280 besides the 448 bit bus...
and when they shut down the cores couldn't you theoretically "turned on" them or do they do something to prevent this?

Search for softmod. If the circuits are physically disabled via laser, then there is nothing you could do.

dude did you join just to answer that?, anyway your talking software solutions aren't there any hardware solutions to undo it?, like physically going to the graphics card

(btw junior member FTW!!!!!!!)

dude did you join just to answer that?, anyway your talking software solutions aren't there any hardware solutions to undo it?, like physically going to the graphics card

(btw junior member FTW!!!!!!!)

He already answered your question...

If it's physically disabled, you aren't going to re-enable it. If it were simple, it would be done. There's a reason 8800 GTS 640 cards couldn't be magically transformed into essentially 8800 GTXs with less RAM.

He already answered your question...

If it's physically disabled, you aren't going to re-enable it. If it were simple, it would be done. There's a reason 8800 GTS 640 cards couldn't be magically transformed into essentially 8800 GTXs with less RAM.
ummm first off no not entirely he gave me a software option and never said anything about hardware
and second i know that im just talking could it be done period i don't remember saying that i wanted it to be easy....

Physically disabling units with a laser (or blowing an e-fuse by other means) rules out hardware methods of modding the hardware back--or at least it does for those without an electron microscope and the hardware lab needed to redraw lines in the silicon.

there we go thank you thats all i wanted to know so it costs more to fix the problem than it does to just buy the higher end product

The other post mentioned the use of a laser, or at least did when I read it.
I just elaborated a little.

Chip manufacturers went to greater lengths to prevent softmods and things like jumper or resistor changes in later chips.

The other post mentioned the use of a laser, or at least did when I read it.
I just elaborated a little.
yes but the little bit of elaboration you provided answered my question completely

I remember when the term MT/s used to mean millions of triangles per second. Amazing it now means millions of textures processed per second
yep technology has come a long way;)
i still remember when 16mb of ram was godly

there we go thank you thats all i wanted to know so it costs more to fix the problem than it does to just buy the higher end product

Those answers tend to come out after the cards are sold and people are able to test them. Hence, the soft mod or laser cutting answer. Also, you are very patronizing in your replies.

http://forums.vr-zone.com/showthread.php?t=278769

12113824544cc88e84af.jpg

:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back