PS3 Price drop and 40GB SKU confirmed *

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. But if you're just gonna cop-out, be completely non-commital as to what you think will happen, then what are you adding to the conversation?

?? You said you could not come up with a good reason why PS3 this year would not outsell 360 last year.

I think there is a good reason why that may happen, and I shared it.

Don't conversations work two ways?

Your original post made no such distinction.

Read my original post again.

Next time, don't assume that because someone doesn't share your "committed" stance to one possible outcome, that it means they have nothing to add to a conversation.

...Again you cop-out. Arguing why the PS3 would sell less than 360, but then saying you 'wouldn't be surprised' if it does not. In the end, you have no position, and are simply arguing for the sake of it.

Sigh.

I did not join this conversation to "argue"...that's your role apparently. I joined in hopes of opening your eyes to what I see as a real possibility that you either have not considered, or you just don't agree with.

Oddly, I still don't know your position on it because you're all bent out of shape due to the fact that my actual opinion on the matter is that Sony is right on the fence.

Meh.

If you go back to Sept 06 there are a lot titles that performed well prior to holiday seasons, you don't have the same scenario with the PS3 as its hope lie in a titles that we don't know if they will be received well. For PS3 titles like Resistance and MotorStorm you have titles like 360 titles like PD, COD2, Oblivion, FN3, Dead Rising, Saints Row and GRAW.

you said:

However, going in and during to holiday season 06, I believe the 360 had a much better lineup than the PS3 going into 07.

Point is PS3 is having as good line up. The reason they dont or they might not perform well doesnt have to do with the "quality" of these games. Some of the 360 games you mentioned did much better than they would have done because they had much more favorable conditions. Not to mention that some of the titles you mentioned were also released on the PS3 in 2007 or their sequels.

You dont know if PS3's titles will perform as well in the market simply because market conditions are different. You know for sure how 360 titles performed because you were already there

Any dependency on Wifi for title features will be very marginal. eg. GT5 could have the PSP as a wing-mirror. For that you'd need a PS3 and PSP, and if you've got a PS3 and a PSP, are you really likely to buy a gimp'd version of the console? The 20GB version had this limitation. Though IMO losing Wifi is a very bad move. Wifi networks seem more popular in the EU, and they'll be the connection method of choice I expect.

They are marginal currently I must admit. What about in the future though?

I fall to the class that own a PSP and might also own a PS3. So I d want the full version. Also lets think of it in another way. PSP-PS3 connectivity help each other by promoting each other

I am also in Europe and I want to use WiFi

Remote Play isn't premised on Wi-Fi as far as the PS3 is concerned, simply on it being connected to the Internet.
What about those that dont have their PS3's connected to the internet?

BTW is there a way we can get the current details of cost of production for a 60GB PS3?

can we conclude that the 40gb ps3 they are talking about will be the

20GB ps3 that never existed in europe but with a bumped up harddisk to 40gb?
(like the 80 is to 60gb sorta...)
so no WIFI, no cardreader , smaller HD. but a RELAUNCH and marketing push maybe?

you said:

However, going in and during to holiday season 06, I believe the 360 had a much better lineup than the PS3 going into 07.

Point is PS3 is having as good line up.

No its not, the quality of the 360 library before the 06 holiday is much better than PS3 library before 07. How much commentary have you heard claiming a weak library for the 360? You hear it for the PS3 lineup all the time regarding the weak sales of the PS3. The games i mentioned sold well and generally critically reviewed favorably.

Until this holiday season is over, its hard to determine the effect of future titles due out this holiday, so Haze, UT3, RC or Uncharted shouldn't be weighed heavily. However, the 360 06 holiday releases included GeOW, COD3, SC:DA and R6 Vegas, which the PS3 titles would have a hard time overshadowing even if they perform well.

The reason they dont or they might not perform well doesnt have to do with the "quality" of these games. Some of the 360 games you mentioned did much better than they would have done because they had much more favorable conditions.

favorable conditions? like what exclusive to the 360 in 06.

Not to mention that some of the titles you mentioned were also released on the PS3 in 2007 or their sequels.

Having those titles new, first and exclusive in 06 means a lot more than having those same titles old, second and multi-port in 07.

You dont know if PS3's titles will perform as well in the market simply because market conditions are different. You know for sure how 360 titles performed because you were already there

True, but given great performances by UT3, Haze and Uncharted, the 360 library coming out of holiday season 06 will still be stronger than the PS3 library coming out of 07.

Sony could just copy Microsoft and launch a SKU with a wired controller. The point here is not the actual saving from the hardware (which would be minimal) but that people might eventually pick up a wireless one somewhere down the line. Removing WiFi makes sense for the same reason.

Smart business

Sony could just copy Microsoft and launch a SKU with a wired controller. The point here is not the actual saving from the hardware (which would be minimal) but that people might eventually pick up a wireless one somewhere down the line. Removing WiFi makes sense for the same reason.

Problem for Sony is how to get middle-market price-concious shopper. Unique aspects of price concious shopper is they are waiting for $399 (or $299) PS3 and also are not likely to buy 1080P sony tv without discounts.

Sony should put $300 manufacturer rebate (good for 24 months from SonyStyle.com) for 40" or larger 1080P sony TV in every PS3 Box.

This kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the the 360 you talking one hugely hype and marketed title along with alot of titles that were known commodities that performed well previously.

The PS3 library will strongly dependent on Uncharted, RC, Haze and HS being pretty well received as of right now thats a unknown.
R&C is a proven series that was on PS2. Haze is being developed by the creators of TimeSplitters and half of the team worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64 afaik. as for HS, it has already been released and the reviews seem to be good.

R&C is a proven series that was on PS2. Haze is being developed by the creators of TimeSplitters and half of the team worked on Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for N64 afaik. as for HS, it has already been released and the reviews seem to be good.

9 out of 10 consumers don't have clue who developed what, Haze is a new IP until we see more I don't think any of us have a clue how well it will be received. R&C is a franchise that I'm sure will sell quite a few units. HS seems to be doing ok and its getting a fair amount of advertising. I'm not seeing GeOW like buzz for any of these titles yet, but its still early.

i don't think any of these titles are really on the level of Gears of War (possibly UT3 or Uncharted if its marketed right). but that really wasn't my point... dobwal said the 360's lineup going into the 06 holiday season was much better than the PS3's going into 07, and i can see how you would say the 360's lineup was better, but not much better imo. you could even argue the PS3 lineup being better.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think any of these titles are really on the level of Gears of War (possibly UT3 or Uncharted if its marketed right). but that really wasn't my point... dobwal said the 360's lineup going into the 06 holiday season was much better than the PS3's going into 07, and i can see how you would say the 360's lineup was better, but not much better imo. you could even argue the PS3 lineup being better.

Gears of War was big in the US, i have no idea if it was as big outside the FPS nation number one on the FPS console number one.

The PS3 lineup for this XMAS is (imho) very good, at least seen with a PS2 owners eyes. They see some old friends and they have learned abit about some of the new exclusive games. They can see what is on the horizon, a bunch of games that made them buy the PS2, the only thing stopping them is the price.

Depending on your bias for games you could argue anything actually, e.g. what FPS franchise you prefer Halo3 vs. UT3, etc. etc.

It might be worth noting that some console buyers may also look beyond the games released this fall as well, further complicating the matter.

I think arguing that a certain platform has a way better game lineup is plain ridiculous as the bulk of big third party titles coming this fall are multi-platform.

2.3 million, up from 1.9 million at the end of the previous quarter, with in-transit inventory estimated at 600,000 units (plus whatever numbers already in retail) as of July 1, according to their last quarterly financial.

That kind of inventory, unless they're prepared to take a significant hit, should limit their pricing agility when introducing a possible new SKU.

Any idea what these millions of PS3´s are worth? Didn´t sony talk about this at their last financial rapport?

human life: 0-80
Console life rough total sales last gen: 175 million
Current total sales: roughly 25 million

So yes, you'd think very early teens. However, since the growth this generation is progressing rather differently, I don't know if the whole generations thing works properly anymore. In the previous generation, we had 3 consoles that were very similar in terms of capabilities. In this generation, there are much bigger differences. From this I conclude that the market will expand considerably. If that is true, then the projected sales could go up to 300 million, and suddenly 25 million means this generation is about 7-and-a-half-years old.

human life: 0-80
Console life rough total sales last gen: 175 million
Current total sales: roughly 25 million

So yes, you'd think very early teens. However, since the growth this generation is progressing rather differently, I don't know if the whole generations thing works properly anymore. In the previous generation, we had 3 consoles that were very similar in terms of capabilities. In this generation, there are much bigger differences. From this I conclude that the market will expand considerably. If that is true, then the projected sales could go up to 300 million, and suddenly 25 million means this generation is about 7-and-a-half-years old.

1. 300 million is ridiculous.
2. When you are talking about age, usually time is the referenced factor.
3. who cares

In the previous generation, we reached the point where 50% of children had a games console in the home. I'm fairly sure that not only this will go up to near 100%, but as these children will become adults, they are more likely to have a console in the home even if they don't get children of their own. Finally, thanks to the Wii in this generation it is more likely that people will have owned two different consoles.

Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back