Motorstorm RC (PS3 and Vita)

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
Motostorm RC is a top-down racer that is available on PS3 and Vita. One price gets you both versions (at least in EU). The US version is coming 6 March.

The PS3 version has 4 player split-screen and 3D support. The game is the first game to use 'transfarring'. It saves your progress in the cloud seamlessly and allows you to continue your game on another PS3 or a Vita. Just start up the game, wait for a small bit, and all your times, medals, unlocks etc. will be synchronised.

The game, although download only, has a platinum trophy. If you got a trophy on the PS3, then starting up the Vita version will also unlock that trophy there (there are still two sets of trophies, one for the PS3 and one for the Vita) and vice versa.

Above all though, it is a fantastic little game. The game reminds of games like Ironman Off-Road and Micro Machines v3, but while it lacks some of the fantasy of Micro Machines (no boats or floating on leaves in a pond) it has far superior handling and physics to anything released before. The environment and interaction with it is fantastic, the handling is great on different surfaces and with the different car types. There are plenty of tracks, and getting (up to three) medals on each event is about as addictive as it gets, calibre Angry Birds for me.

The game looks great on both systems, though the PS3 has a small number of extra effects, some water, reflections and such.

I got the Platinum Trophy for this game, which isn't as easy as it may sound (I did put in some 20 hours or more), but perfectly doable and above all, enjoyable. I recommend using the Arial camera, as that gives the best view of the track while racing and is therefore easiest.

So far it seems to be doing quite well - already quite a lot of high-scores posted online (I think something like 30.000-40.000, I'm somewhere around 170 last time I looked :) ), and it's topping the sales chart in the PSN Store as well, at least in my region. I hope that anyone who has a PS3 or a Vita gets this game, because it's just fantastic, and extremely good value as well.

US people, you have something to look forward to next week! The rest of you, why don't you have it already? :D

Yeah, this game is pretty awesome and worth every cent of the $10 I paid for it.

I would have thought that the Vita could handle the extra effects that the ps3 version has.

Love this to bits - reminds me of generally (a free PC game) that I was hooked on, as mentioned micromachines is a good comparison.

No other games have had a look in, the thing is it's ideal for a quick blast (and that's all I have had time for so far) - TBH for the price it's rude not to buy this...guys add me as a friend...I need some scores to aim at, once you get all the medals the friends times are great incentive to play on.

I really hope they have more DLC for this (other than extra cars)

How would you rate this title compared to the other Vita games you own ?

For me it ranks right on top. The core gameplay is fantastic, and it sets the bar for many other games in terms of features (like the pitwall, cloud save and continue on PS3, etc.) and presentation. Very suitable for a portable experience but still fun at home, and the pitwall keeps it interesting for a long itme.

My other games currently are Uncharted, Escape Plan, Stardust Delta, Lumines, Virtua Tennis 4, Hustle Kings (already had PS3 version) I haven't gotten WipeOut yet though, which I expect I will like as well, though maybe not as much since it's still the Wipeout I've already played a lot on PS3.

EDIT: what's your PSN goonergaz? same as your beyond3d name?

For me it ranks right on top. The core gameplay is fantastic, and it sets the bar for many other games in terms of features (like the pitwall, cloud save and continue on PS3, etc.) and presentation. Very suitable for a portable experience but still fun at home, and the pitwall keeps it interesting for a long itme.

My other games currently are Uncharted, Escape Plan, Stardust Delta, Lumines, Virtua Tennis 4, Hustle Kings (already had PS3 version) I haven't gotten WipeOut yet though, which I expect I will like as well, though maybe not as much since it's still the Wipeout I've already played a lot on PS3.

EDIT: what's your PSN goonergaz? same as your beyond3d name?

I am deciding between
* MotorStorm RC
* About a Blob
* Rayman Origins
next.

Was going to buy Rayman yesterday but I switched to Plants vs Zombies last minute. :LOL: (Tower defense ftw !).

Have heard a lot of good things about Stardust Delta and Lumines too, but they are not my favorite game types.

Rayman Origins is great but I would play it with your family on PS3 instead. Also for the same price as Rayman you can get Motorstorm, Mutants from Space and Stardust Delta including the DLC pack.

So I would definitely get Motorstorm and About a Blob first, and get Rayman on PS3 or wait for a pricedrop.

The US version, which was rumored to have the PS3 and Vita as separate purchases, will have the two games bundled for a limited time after all, apparently thanks to a Scion deal:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/

Note that I would have put that first comment right by telling him the game is already out since 22nd and that he should look in the PSN Store for the answer to his question. ;) But PSN is actually down. :)

And not just for you from the looks of my friends list. :D

I now have 15 other people on the score list (you're not on it yet I think) and I think that's a record for me. The lowest player is ranked 109853, so that means there are at least 110k downloads for this game, which seems pretty decent, and the Vita version being free the US for the time being, likely to grow a bit more. I hope the game keeps on doing well also in the paying areas ;) ...

I am still fairly comfortably in the lead of veryone, which is also a first. And it's quite cool to be somewhere in the top 200 for a game that has 100.000 people listed, although it doesn't really mean that much either.

I also got two direct challenges (as in challenge messages) from people on my friends list challenging me to beat specific races, which I didn't even know was possible.

I now have 15 other people on the score list (you're not on it yet I think) and I think that's a record for me. The lowest player is ranked 109853, so that means there are at least 110k downloads for this game, which seems pretty decent, and the Vita version being free the US for the time being, likely to grow a bit more. I hope the game keeps on doing well also in the paying areas ;) ...

I am still fairly comfortably in the lead of veryone, which is also a first. And it's quite cool to be somewhere in the top 200 for a game that has 100.000 people listed, although it doesn't really mean that much either.

I also got two direct challenges (as in challenge messages) from people on my friends list challenging me to beat specific races, which I didn't even know was possible.

Hold THAT thought!

I like that game a lot, but it's definitely not my favorite. The squirrely handling can be a little too frustrating at times (for me at least. I was certainly cursing up a storm trying to get three medals on the drift event in Monument Valley), and despite not being much of a looker, the framerate is generally not able to keep up with what's happening on the screen. Well, at least not in the aerial view (which is really the only view worth using)

Can't be beat in terms of value for money I'd wager, but at the end of the day I'm still enjoying the lkes of Rayman, Blazblue and wipeout a good deal more.

Yeah, I saw quite a few B3Ders on the score list too. Antan is on there too.

I like that game a lot, but it's definitely not my favorite. The squirrely handling can be a little too frustrating at times (for me at least. I was certainly cursing up a storm trying to get three medals on the drift event in Monument Valley), and despite not being much of a looker, the framerate is generally not able to keep up with what's happening on the screen. Well, at least not in the aerial view (which is really the only view worth using)

Can't be beat in terms of value for money I'd wager, but at the end of the day I'm still enjoying the lkes of Rayman, Blazblue and wipeout a good deal more.

Wow you're picky ! (Or I'm not good enough to worry about refined control, which is more likely the case).

Game is solid. I would buy it even if it's not free. The PS3 version would come free with it (and vice versa). I thought the controls feel apt for a small RC car. That's why I'm not complaining. But you're right, I think it will be tricky for a reasonably complex course. Heard drifting can be difficult.

It's a worthy Vita game, that's for sure. Very adorable and gamey compared to cinematic and atmospheric gaming on the PS3.

I never said the controls were bad. They feel very much appropriate actually. I also did pay for it and do think it's very much worth it. I just said that the game is not the best on the system for my taste since physics plus agile rc cars often makes for very unpredictable results. It's why I'm not a big fan of little big planet either.

My bad.

I don't think they should use too much physics for a Vita game too. I played with an early LBP level in an SF event. Realistic physics may slow down Vita too much. Perhaps just enough to make the outcome more believable and open ended. That's it.

I have mixed feelings about LBP's physics + control + layer handling also. ^_^

I never said the controls were bad. They feel very much appropriate actually. I also did pay for it and do think it's very much worth it. I just said that the game is not the best on the system for my taste since physics plus agile rc cars often makes for very unpredictable results. It's why I'm not a big fan of little big planet either.

I definitely get where you're coming from, but the downsides for me are also the upsides, and having the Platinum I can talk with some authority. ;) The drifting events I thought I'd end up hating like no tomorrow, but the drifting is actually some of the best drifting in any game, and Ridge Racer should wish it had anything like it. It takes practice like everything else, but pretty soon I ended up being able to drift whole laps.

The most frustrating are the buggies. The realistic handling and physics means that it doesn't take much for them to spin around. They accellerate just like the real thing, and when turning they can spin out like the real thing, but much more so if at that time you're tapped by an AI opponent. This doesn't really matter that much for winning a race mind you, because the races are generally not that hard. It gets more frustrating when you want to really push your times, and you'll end up appreciating the quick restarts that the game offers. ;)

However, the realistic physics and handling also means that almost no race is the same, which then makes replaying the game also much more interesting, at least to me. That's why I ended up playing this so much to the point of my first platinum ever since trophies were first introducted. I'm now playing other games (just got WipeOut, which I agree is awesome), but I do look forward to returning to it and try and beat some times from people who've challenged me or gotten past me on my friend's list (yes Antan, I'm pretty sure you're coming to get me ;) ).

Back