"Yes, but how many polygons?" An artist blog entry with interesting numbers

yes, very deceptive. I can tell you the truth, when i run these models through my programs i anticipate with a lot of questions of my own. but I've nailed down a majority of the causes that can spring the numbers to go up and whatnot, and i can further dissect if the numbers aren't making any sense to anyone if they like.

---------------------

Polygon numbers for assorted games.

Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (aviatrix outfit) 29,014 polygons
Tombraider 2013 - Lara Croft (with upgrades) 41,245 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Mistral (In game) 41,185 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (Towel) 21,499 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (default outfit with weapons) 106,763 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (secondary outfit with weapons) 111,483 polygons

-----------------

made an extra picture for Ayane found (here) and here are officail pictures of Ayane's outfits (here) and (here) and also a game play picture of Ayane (here)

that's all i got for today, till next time.

Does Mistral seriously have fourteen fucking arms?!

Thanks Cops!!!

you're welcome.

---------------------

been busy (like always.) anyways, i was looking at the models of Ayane and her face before and after the inclusion of Razor's edge. the end result made me ask the question....

WHY THE CHANGE?

made some snapshots below.

6j3dyw.jpg

1z6b3mt.jpg

2817w9h.jpg

As far as polygons go they weigh about the same so this more less has to do with artistic altering. IMO, although i like the inclusion of bigger hair the old face of Ayane looked less bloated..........which begs the question why the change?

-----------

Polygons numbers for assorted games.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Turret 7,658 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Mastiff 13,377 polygons
Bioshock Infinite - songbird 18,757 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Vodomjerka 22,084 polygons
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Osprey 42,413 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ayane (Infiltrator outfit) 91,446 polygons

that's all for today.

The answer is simple: the new Ayane is more anime style looking than the old one, which is more realistic in terms of facial proportions and lighting.

Thanks so much Cops for giving us all of this.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how many polygons Serah had in Final Fantasy XIII-2 (man, though poly counts were much lower than I expected)?

The answer is simple: the new Ayane is more anime style looking than the old one, which is more realistic in terms of facial proportions and lighting.

you know what, you're 100% correct on that. her same face is used for DOA5 and matches up with with the rest of the other Anime "like" faces in ninja gaiden 3. although she looked pretty good she didn't contrast well like how the new face does.

Thanks so much Cops for giving us all of this.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew how many polygons Serah had in Final Fantasy XIII-2 (man, though poly counts were much lower than I expected)?

will be getting to that. it's the art direction that makes them look so appealing.....and the lighting too.

polygons numbers for assorted games.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Serah 8,067 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Momiji (outfit 2) 44,828 polygons
Halo 4 - Storm Rifle 11,897 polygons
Halo 4 - Beam rifle 15,118 polygons
Halo 4 - forerunner rifle 16,287 polygons
Halo 4 - Master chief (with standard equipment) 42,576 polygons
Halo 4 - Master chief (with forerunner rifle and beam rifle) 55,939 polygons

....yeah i finally got some halo 4 stuff, it was inevitable. the model was extracted a while back. and this is chief fully textured. (here, and here)

that's all for now. will keep you posted on anything more.

Last edited by a moderator:
As your own numbers indicate, the poly count for Chief is much lower without the weapons, in the range of 15-20k. You should try to do a new counting without the equipment.

As your own numbers indicate, the poly count for Chief is much lower without the weapons, in the range of 15-20k. You should try to do a new counting without the equipment.

as a bare stand alone chief is 24,534 polygons. (game play/3rd person view mode)
2ic4qz4.jpg

as you no doubt would have guessed the weapons them selves are pretty high, which is why they were given readouts. the total number readouts were also given because the game engine renders it regardless. usually i'll go for the peak number of what the game engine can possibly render IF I have all (or some) of their correct accessories and equipment.

--------------------

since this thread isn't specifically targeting characters or weapons in particular it's all credible information integrated or otherwise. for everything else, if you can dissect on your own that's good. i don't normally answer to demands only requests if you like to make a demand... i'd like a paycheck.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what, you're 100% correct on that. her same face is used for DOA5 and matches up with with the rest of the other Anime "like" faces in ninja gaiden 3. although she looked pretty good she didn't contrast well like how the new face does.

will be getting to that. it's the art direction that makes them look so appealing.....and the lighting too.

polygons numbers for assorted games.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Serah 8,067 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Momiji (outfit 2) 44,828 polygons
Halo 4 - Storm Rifle 11,897 polygons
Halo 4 - Beam rifle 15,118 polygons
Halo 4 - forerunner rifle 16,287 polygons
Halo 4 - Master chief (with standard equipment) 42,576 polygons
Halo 4 - Master chief (with forerunner rifle and beam rifle) 55,939 polygons

....yeah i finally got some halo 4 stuff, it was inevitable. the model was extracted a while back. and this is chief fully textured. (here, and here)

that's all for now. will keep you posted on anything more.

Thanks for sharing these numbers. Master Chief's model got a significant boost over the earlier ones

Thanks for sharing these numbers. Master Chief's model got a significant boost over the earlier ones

Still nothing compared to the insane detail in the source geometry. The CG Chief we have is our most complex character ever, some 700.000 polygons before subdivision. Previous versions of the armor look like simple toys compared to it.

Re-clarifying a few details as my Intel just unlocked an other LOD of Chief. there appears to be two versions of him. the one above is the game play LOD which is also the same as when performing executions, vehicle riding, and handling turrets.

The other is the cut scene version, which is 31,600 polygons. which contains extra detail and on the hands.

more pictures below.
707qys.jpg

907nyf.jpg

according to my source they're 100% sold that it's the cutscene LOD.

lastly, the energy sword is 3,208 polygons. Cortana has also been extracted but without her head. will post more numbers when i get the extractions in full.

Still nothing compared to the insane detail in the source geometry. The CG Chief we have is our most complex character ever, some 700.000 polygons before subdivision. Previous versions of the armor look like simple toys compared to it.
Wow. Well, it may be awhile before we will see an in-game model in that caliber of raw geometry. The next-gen systems are not an order of magnitude higher than current-gen systems in terms of polygon rendering. Having said that, I'm impressed on how far we have came since the beginning of this generation.

Why so low for all of the XIII/XIII-2 character models?

It's hard to imagine why, but if i had to guess the Lighting is why so much of the resources are being consumed.

They focus a lot more on lighting and it shows since FFXIII/XIII-2 have fantastic lighting models.

yes.

------------

If you look at the combination of the shaders and environments, that might be the connection to why the characters are small in poly numbers.
----------------------

Polygon Numbers For Two Titles.

Perfect Dark Zero - Joanna Dark 15,116 polygons, 7,695 polys for entire head.
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ryu Hayabusa (Fiend outfit) 28,697 polygons
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge - Ryu Hayabusa (TrueFighter outfit) 36,812 polygons

that's all for today.

Back