Post *your* Lair impressions/experiences

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
I'm still interested in hearing the impressions of those who are actually playing the game. Since the other thread ended up getting locked, I thought I'd start this one so patsu, Darkon and others can continue to share their thoughts on the game as they play through it.

Thanks mrcorbo for creating this thread. I am interested in others' impressions too.
I'm tied up at the moment; my follow-up won't be available until later in the week. I am also thinking through the presentation format along the way.

As long as people don't starting branding others as "biased" or "gamers who happen to like this lousy game", it should be an interesting track. There are indeed quite a bit of discrepencies between _all_ the reviews (from the ones in the cloud to the ones in the mud).

In the mean time, you can find another interesting impression here:

+ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7650474&postcount=1470

I tried LAIR, and the controls were horrible. My friend tried it, couldn't play it. I was beyond frustrated. So later that day another friend came by, and I showed him LAIR...and he played it perfectly. He was guiding the dragon flawlessly, doing the moves, aiming the fire...my friend and I were completely amazed. So my other friend gave it a try...and he did it flawlessly too. I didn't try it because we wanted some Warhawk action, but I realized that it was a different controller that he was using (the other one used earlier was charging).

My experience is closer to the third guy. You probably have to see it to believe it. :) I think, for Sony's and F5's sake, they should include SIXAXIS diagnose functions as part of the XMB firmware upgrades since it is such a crucial part of their total experience. In fact, they should check SIXAXIS before every game starts if the self-diagnose doesn't take too much time.

EDIT: I also want to point out that I play with my SIXAXIS plugged in

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite possibly the worst controlling game I have ever experienced. The controls are so horrible that its really a pain just to advance the storyline (which has a rather interesting plot development). Visuals are hit and miss, most of the title looks muddy, framerate issue occur throughout the title and some "in-engine" cut scenes, all troops look the exact same and show no inherent signs of AI, dragons builds are good but one rarely gets to see them other than flying by trying to get the damn sixaxis to respond properly, effects are alright nothing to brag about, good water and rocks though. As far as 1080p it makes absolutely no difference in visual definition. Sound isnt anything spectacular despite the THX presentation during loading of the title. Overall not an experience worth purchasing in the least bit.

-All in all should have simply waited for Heavenly Sword.

5/10 (that is being kind)

I'm curious why you're supposed to be really stealthy and not get seen at all by spotlights, but it's perfectly fine to HURL FIREBALLS at the spotlights to knock them out, rather calling attention to your presence in another manner...

As long as people don't starting branding others as "biased" or "gamers who happen to like this lousy game"
[modhat]That won't be happening. The FAQ will be updated soon with advice on discussing reviews, and I have a 'Mighty Banstick of +3 Repulsion' for dealing with folk who want to talk about the reviewing process instead of the game.[/modhat]

For some reason, I'm totally uninterested in playing Lair. And given SIXAXIS controls and my Wii experience, actually disincentived to play it.

I must say, there are not many games I am looking forward to this gen, except Bioshock, COD4, Crysis, maybe FF on PS3, maybe Halo3 if they have online co-op, Team Fortress 2, and Little Big Planet.

Offtopic:

Try Folklore with your SO and non-gamer friends.

Try Lair and Warhawk in SIXAXIS mode when you have some/sufficient personal time alone. If you can handle flOw, you should be able to handle SIXAXIS flight with some practice (and concentration).

Don't forget you can slow down in Lair (press L2/R2). There were so much going on at the bridge level that I forgot about speed control.

I'm actually looking forward to play Lair (even though I said it's not addictive like say Tetris). I heard the sea serpent one is great but have not tried it yet.

or YouTube !
... for Yoda and backseat gamers at large :)

Sea Serpent fight

EDIT: Ok shit... SPOILER ALERT on the second one:
(Damn you ! chubigans :LOL:
Added after my sincere thanks to him below)

Bombing run

Sincere thanks go to chubigans @ GAF for curing my Lair fix.
I want to finish this game properly and then move on to Warhawk and some Warhawk hosting at work. ;-)

EDIT: He says, "no more trailers or it will spoil the game"

Quite possibly the worst controlling game I have ever experienced. The controls are so horrible that its really a pain just to advance the storyline (which has a rather interesting plot development). Visuals are hit and miss, most of the title looks muddy, framerate issue occur throughout the title and some "in-engine" cut scenes, all troops look the exact same and show no inherent signs of AI, dragons builds are good but one rarely gets to see them other than flying by trying to get the damn sixaxis to respond properly, effects are alright nothing to brag about, good water and rocks though. As far as 1080p it makes absolutely no difference in visual definition. Sound isnt anything spectacular despite the THX presentation during loading of the title. Overall not an experience worth purchasing in the least bit.

-All in all should have simply waited for Heavenly Sword.

5/10 (that is being kind)

IIRC you already played the E3 demo, and pretty much hated it.
Did you really buy the game after that?
Or am I mistaken? My memory is not what it used to be.

I really dont know what to make of this game. Some videos posted like the ones above make me want it. The animation and graphics look awesome. It also seems very engaging and immersing. Yet it is not what it seems. Talk about inconsistency

I d like to try this one to satisfy my curiosity

Basically, its visual powess (if I can use that word here) ranges from the low points of last gen to the high points of this/next gen. It still need much polishing.

So things can change from E3 to the final game version. Also you can rent or play the game at someone you know that bought it (you know "boys" weekend with nachos and beer). ;)

It still need much polishing.

Yet it's been in development since 2004 or even 2003... 3-4 years in the making? Still, even if something went wrong, Sony should've allowed them to put together a better game, because this way they'll never get their money back... :(

Apparently you can play this game over the network with your PSP via Remote Play. Which is kind of cool, even if the game itself isn't any great shakes. Apparently it works pretty decently. I'd be interested to try that myself.

DSC015631.jpg

More: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=lair&thread.id=7613

See? People shouldn't complain about there being no analog control... You can just route it through your PSP! :p

Apparently you can play this game over the network with your PSP via Remote Play. Which is kind of cool, even if the game itself isn't any great shakes. Apparently it works pretty decently. I'd be interested to try that myself.

More: http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=lair&thread.id=7613

I don't know if it's just me - but that's one of the most exciting things I've heard in a long time. Playing ps3 games on the psp (though the controls may not work) means graphics on the PSP will be beyond any handheld for the next 10years (or more)

Yeah bought the game afterwards and no I wasnt impressed with the demo at E3 (although i wouldnt say I hated it). Kind of the my Playstation needs a game and I had extra store credit with gamestop sort of situation (the 3 day weekend also had an effect on the purchase :)). Probably finish the game tomorrow and trade it in at the local comic book/pawn shop store, ordeal will of probably cost me about 15-20 dollars.

Back