Bioshock

I haven't seen this corroborated anywhere else and the post seems to have been deleted. Don't know if that discredits the rumour or lends even further credibility to it.

Edit: Seems it was pulled by request.

In case anyone is interested - there is a free download on marketplace with some new Plasmids, plus an extra 100 GS for a secret achievement (Spoilered below)

Achievement: Brass Balls - complete the game on Hard without using any Vita Chambers

Here's a list of what the patch and content download provide:

Xbox 360 Title Update Fixes and Features

• Added widescreen option: Horizontal FOV
  • Fix for rare case where a partial cache is not cleared
  • Increased Atlas’ volume in German
  • Fix for GUI sounds not playing during heavy action
  • Fix for not being able to take picture of Cobb in Rec
  • Possible fix for pauses or hangs when opening flash bink movies
  • Fix for switching difficulty breaking achievement
  • Fix for small texture streaming bug
  • Fix for rare hang when a lot of things are going on at once

XBOX 360 DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT

• Added Disable Vita Chamber option
  • Plasmid Pack is included in this DLC (Machine Buster 1 & 2, Vending Expert 1 & 2, Sonic Boom 1 & 2, EVE Saver)
  • 100 point achievement (as per Dave's post)

It doesnt appear as free for me :cry:

(It tells me I need a gold account to download for "free")

That's one of the advantages of a Gold account. I don't know your finance situation, but if you can afford it, there should be no reason to not have a Gold subscription. BTW, most Gold premium content is later made available to Silver subscribers. So if you don't feel like paying for a Gold account, eventually you should be able to get it.

Tommy McClain

That's one of the advantages of a Gold account. I don't know your finance situation, but if you can afford it, there should be no reason to not have a Gold subscription. BTW, most Gold premium content is later made available to Silver subscribers. So if you don't feel like paying for a Gold account, eventually you should be able to get it.

Tommy McClain
I don't mean to start another Gold account value discussion but I can think of many reasons why what we pay for with Gold we should get for free. I am subscribed to Gold btw(for now).
[*]Added Disable Vita Chamber option
Yay!!!! That was a major flaw of the game.

The wider FOV for the 360 version is SO welcome and refreshing. You can actually see the amazing art design instead of 5 feet of it at a time. This patch has convinced me to try the "good path" on hard finally.

Yeah it's basically a refinement of the gameplay in Shock 2, with some simplification but also some fleshing out of the other mechanics. It's not nearly as much of a RPG as Shock 2 though; they removed most of the RPG character development aspects. It's still a decent game. It has an incredible, fascinating environment. Too bad the plot structure is almost the same as Shock 2 though. I predicted the story's direction pretty quickly.

I still don't like the respawning bad guy thing. At least it wasn't cyborg midwives this time (omg! i die of fear accumulation!)

BTW, I find the whole up-in-arms thing over the vita-chambers to be rather ridiculous. Hell, Shock 2 has almost the exact same thing. Yeah the DNA chambers cost a little to run but I was rolling in money pretty quick in that game anyway. Die, rinse, repeat. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
lucky dog

I played for several levels loving every minute of it and finally had to give up due to the motion sickness.

ginger helped but it just became a [SIZE=-1]Pavlovian[/SIZE] avoidance to the game after a while.... shame.

Beautiful, wonderful game.

You should try the game again with the new proper FOV. I progressed very slowly through the game due to motion sickness from the narrow FOV, but luckily I got to experience the update before I was done (went through the last few big areas after the update). I was amazed, before the update I couldn't play for more than an hour and then wouldn't feel like playing again for about a week. After it I played through right to the end and it took about 3 hours and I feel fine.

Anyone know if the new FOV fix is applied to the demo? Also I've seen at least one instance where someone is saying the FOV fix is a "fish eye" effect. Is this true?

It's not a "fish eye" effect, it will just seem like that at first in direct comparison to the old FOV. The new FOV is much more correct for widescreen displays and in line with other games. Trust me you'll prefer it. Read up on FOV in first person games for more details.

Before I noticed I had the FOV option on I thought I could "see more" of the environment in a couple of places. I also thought "hold on, I didn't know I was wearing a woolen jumper before" - without the FOV patch you never actually see your sleaves!

I am aware of the true wide screen picture. I was just wondering if its more a fish eye effect like some poster claimed on another site. I doubted it but I wanted to check here.

At any rate. Do you know if the 360 demo has the FOV fix?

Edit. I tried the demo well before the patch so I am curious if the demo is fixed now as well.

I don't know if the demo has the patch. If you're used to narrow FOVs a proper one will give you a slight "fish eye effect" at first but that will pass in time. Either way it has nothing to do with Bioshock itself, just that poster's perspective. If you're an experienced gamer and play a lot of different stuff with different FOVs, this is not worth mentioning.

Actually, many console games have a similarly narrow FOV to that of Bioshock's default widescreen view, both the Halo and CoD series are notable examples. So the new wider view option in Boishock will look fish eyed and strange to a lot of gamers who are accustomed to the narrow views in such games. I personally prefer a wider FOV and wish Halo 3 and CoD4 would also add such options, but that is a matter of choice rather than a matter of correctness.

Actually, many console games have a similarly narrow FOV to that of Bioshock's default widescreen view, both the Halo and CoD series are notable examples. So the new wider view option in Boishock will look fish eyed and strange to a lot of gamers who are accustomed to the narrow views in such games. I personally prefer a wider FOV and wish Halo 3 and CoD4 would also add such options, but that is a matter of choice rather than a matter of correctness.

Halo 3 has a wider FOV than BioShock on default. Halo 3 was I believe 85-86 degrees while Bioshock was 75-80 (can't remember which). And the PC demo of COD4 looked to have a wider FOV to me than Halo 3, but I could be wrong about that since I haven't looked with up on the widescreen gaming forums. I wish all FPS games would be >90, or 100 like UT games and 110 like HL2 games. But alas, so many developers want me to puke playing their games :(.

Edit: I did a quick search on COD4, and I came up with 80 as the default locked FOV. Maybe that explains why I had to lay down after the demo since it made me sick to play that game, lol. Guess the smaller weapons fooled me into thinking it was wider than that.

Yeah, I read it on kotaku this morning and found a... *ahem* scan on a popular message board ;)

I already have the game for X360, but good news for PS3 owners :D

Back