Bioshock

I know I'm late to the party, but I finally picked this game up.

I'm about four levels in (Fort whatever it's called). I'd actually finished that level, but I did something that you're not supposed to at the very end of it, so now I need to replay about half of the level. Oops.

I'm playing on Normal, and overall the game feels very easy. I've had maybe half a dozen deaths, though most of them were intentional because I accidently tripped an alarm or a big daddy and didn't want to deal with fighting it out.

The major problem is that health packs are easy to come by, so you can pretty much own everything with static discharge 2 + wrench, minus Big Daddies, which on normal are almost trivial to kill. It doesn't matter if you take damage, because you can heal instantly with a button press, and because all of the encounters are really short, you never have to budget your health packs.

So, the story, control, pacing, etc are all really great. Unfortunately, the encounters just feel really juevenile. Like classic Doom monster closets, except there's usually only 1 or 2 monsters in each one.

The research mechanic is awesome. I really enjoy it. It's a shame that you don't have the option to save pictures though. Maybe an alternate ammo mode for the camera that would be "screenshot mode" or whatever. I mean why not? Pretty minor thing though.

I just finally started Bioshock tonight (had it since launch but damn that CoD4 beta!) Got upto the Arcadia level playing on the medium difficulty.

This game is rather complicated. I'm not really into RPG. I had some fun with Oblivion but outside of that my fast RPG was FF7 and I never made it past the 1st disc.

So for me there is a massive learning curve. I realized that I couldn't rely on run n' gun. My character takes too much damage. The enemy AI has ridiculosly good aim. The auto aim is crap in this game. Turning it off was much nicer as I was able to strafe shoot. However, I die TONS! to those damn big daddies. The rest of the enemies I can handle. Maybe because I don't examine my surroundings well to see what combination of plasmids and powerups would work best to deal with the big daddies?

The machine gun was almost impossible to use until I got the less recoil update. That made it tolerable. It's a very cool and deep game but just might be a bit too much for a noob like me. Too many things I have to keep track of and think about. Ofcourse, I'll finish it. Another thing I learned is that there is almost too much story. So many of those damn tapes and each one telling you a mini story. All I know is "follow the arrow!"

It's a very cool and deep game but just might be a bit too much for a noob like me. Too many things I have to keep track of and think about. Ofcourse, I'll finish it. Another thing I learned is that there is almost too much story. So many of those damn tapes and each one telling you a mini story. All I know is "follow the arrow!"

I struggled at the beginning too and was ready to say that the combat just sucks and was mainly playing it for the athmosphere and seeing how the plot goes and so forth. Once you get to upgrade your character and weapons the game turns out to be much more enjoyable on all fronts. After maybe 3-5 hours I was going to write that this game is a little overhyped, but it really turned out to be a gem after all.

I just finally started Bioshock tonight (had it since launch but damn that CoD4 beta!) Got upto the Arcadia level playing on the medium difficulty.

This game is rather complicated. I'm not really into RPG. I had some fun with Oblivion but outside of that my fast RPG was FF7 and I never made it past the 1st disc.

So for me there is a massive learning curve. I realized that I couldn't rely on run n' gun. My character takes too much damage. The enemy AI has ridiculosly good aim. The auto aim is crap in this game. Turning it off was much nicer as I was able to strafe shoot. However, I die TONS! to those damn big daddies. The rest of the enemies I can handle. Maybe because I don't examine my surroundings well to see what combination of plasmids and powerups would work best to deal with the big daddies?

The machine gun was almost impossible to use until I got the less recoil update. That made it tolerable. It's a very cool and deep game but just might be a bit too much for a noob like me. Too many things I have to keep track of and think about. Ofcourse, I'll finish it. Another thing I learned is that there is almost too much story. So many of those damn tapes and each one telling you a mini story. All I know is "follow the arrow!"

Experimentation is key. And for the record, dead bodies make the *perfect* projectile to pick up and throw..over and over and over..if they happen to be on fire, all the better! :devilish:

And the security dummy plasmid is a life saver in almost any situation.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the telenkensis once. My biggest problem is a FPS mindset. Once I get into a battle, I stop thinking all about my powers and just concentrate on gunning em down.

I noticed that if I freeze a big daddy and shoot it, it doesn't do damage with some guns? is that how it's suppose to be?

I noticed that if I freeze a big daddy and shoot it, it doesn't do damage with some guns? is that how it's suppose to be?

When you freeze something, you have to shatter it in order to do damage. Usually shattering will kill the enemy straight up.

All guns should do damage while frozen, but if you're trying to shatter a big daddy that's not gonna happen they have far too much health. If the gun doesn't appear to be doing damage, it's probably just because it's doing so little you can hardly see the life bar move.

Freezing is great for pausing the fight, and getting your bearings back though. Alot of the times I would freeze him, then circle around to his back, and wait for him to thaw out before unloading with my grenade launcher, or armour piercing machine gun rounds.

It's a great plasmid for rendering the powerful big daddies almost harmless, and if you can perfect the timing for the freeze > thaw > grenade > freeze combo, you can take em down without a scratch.

I'm at level 9 and finally getting the hang of this. Telekensis is my favourite to kill splicers as it's easy to wait till they're up close and slam a body into them. Instant death.

The one thing I find rather frustraing is the lack of ammo. There are times when I just wanna shoot things! but the game is ridiculously stingy on ammo.

Cliff Blezzinski says that there is an obvious choice for the Game of the Year award and it's Bioshock.

2K's BioShock gets Bleszinki's game of the year and bees get a punch to the face
Words: Gavin Ogden, CVG UK

Sept 17, 2007

Better late than never - Epic's Cliff Bleszinski has reviewed (kind of) the mighty BioShock on his blog, saying some very nice things about it. He even calls it his game of the year, but that's got nothing to do with the fact that it uses Epic's technology or because he's friends with some of the staffers, he points out.

(....)

"More importantly, who WANTS to shoot bees? So bullets aren't fun enough, we want to shoot... bees? They're not even killer wasps or spiders. A spider gun would be good because, hey, who wants spiders crawling all over them."
They say you've got to take the rough with the smooth but bees are fine for me and in the game they are just great, different and the notion of something natural is always welcome. But well, features like this are catered to specific tastes....

Read full news here:

http://www.gamesradar.com/us/xbox36...17105037709058&releaseId=20060426172349312080

The one thing I find rather frustraing is the lack of ammo. There are times when I just wanna shoot things! but the game is ridiculously stingy on ammo.

There is lots of cash around to buy ammo with.

Even on hard I often ended up with more cash than I could pick up, but then I tended to hack everything I could find.

Another thing to bear in mind is that the U-Invent machines are a very good place to get ammo from, especially the heavy weapon stuff. I remember coming out of a U-Invent machine with a whole pile of heatseaking missiles on the floor as I invented a ton of them, not realising you can only carry 6 or so.

Me - Bioshock 1000/1000 GS :p

Cliff Blezzinski says that there is an obvious choice for the Game of the Year award and it's Bioshock.
ROFL. I'm in tears reading his blog:

Fuck, I'll even take Army Ants. They gave McGuyver a hell of a run way back in the 80's, what, with the crawling and the chewing and armyness.

Or even poo on a stick. You could go up to a tree and break off a little branch and find fresh piles of dog doo doo to poke the stick in. Then your character would go around like Eddie Murphy in Raw chanting "Doo doo. Gonna put it on youuuu." Even the biggest baddest foe would turn tail and run. You want to know how to beat the Brumak in Gears PC? Find the poo on the stick. But keep in mind that there's a timer on it because the stick poo will dry up and lose its effectiveness requiring repeated pokes back in the piles of shit.

This is my plea to the development community - stop with the fucking bee guns

I really liked the bee's. They were distracting to the person they set upon in a way that no ammo could be. They were unique in that way and also funny. They could go anywhere,and you could set them on tougher enemies and literally turn your back and deal with other immediate challenges while they did their work.
Humorous and useful,a rare combination.

I just finished Bioshock with 730/1000 gamerscore points. Wow what a great game it was! This one will be remembered as one of the greatest games, at least I will. Good long story and the setting was just hypnotizing. Well worth the hype, if your stomach can take it...

Game of the year.

I'm such a f'in noob! I didn't realize until last night that I could buy slots for other stuff besides plasmids! So I've almost gotten to the end of the game with 2 slots max in every category aside from plasmids. God, I feel like I totally this game a disservice :(

So I finally beat it:

They could've had atleast a few mins worth of CGI or something for my bad/harvesting ending. that was rather weak. However I just watched the "happy" ending and I should've saved em! Oh well. I enjoyed my harvesting days. I'll do another play through next year when it's slow time. Man, this was cool though. One hell of a ride. Thanks to all that helped.

I just finished Bioshock with 730/1000 gamerscore points. Wow what a great game it was! This one will be remembered as one of the greatest games, at least I will. Good long story and the setting was just hypnotizing. Well worth the hype, if your stomach can take it...

Game of the year.

lucky dog

I played for several levels loving every minute of it and finally had to give up due to the motion sickness.

ginger helped but it just became a [SIZE=-1]Pavlovian[/SIZE] avoidance to the game after a while.... shame.

Beautiful, wonderful game.

didn't want to start a new thread for this so i thought i would post it here... it looks like BioShock is indeed coming to PS3. don't know how reliable the source is, but personally, i wouldn't be surprised if true.

http://blog.megascorcher.com/2007/11/confirmed-bioshock-coming-to-ps3-in-08.html
2K Boston (Irrational) let the news slip out today that the ultra popular Bioshock is indeed coming to the PS3, labelled with a "Spring 2008" release. Speaking with some one on the "inside", he told us the project was always slated for a PS3 release. It was just a matter of waiting for the timed exclusivity to expire.

So taking that in mind, Spring is slightly over 6 months from the 360's release date, so we'll assume the deal was for 6 months.

Microsoft knows what they're doing, 6 months is perfect, every one who's wanted to play it, has already. So that leaves so little people for the PS3 version, but we'll see how it does next year.

Back