Bioshock

Not at all, what he is suggesting is that relative to GPU power, the X360 version will run better than would you would achieve with a similar PC gpu (say a X1900XT)

While the concept is true, I would argue that an X1900XT isn't a similar GPU performance wise. Obviously its close in the grand scheme of things but I think there are many benchmarks out there that show the X1900XT/X running cross platform games as well or better than the 360, thus suggesting that it must be a fair bit more powerful given the caveat that you outlined above.

A 3GHz dual core with 7800 runs the game at 1024x768 at 30 to 40fps with everything turned on.
An 8800 runs the game at 1280x1024 at ~50fps with everything turned on.

http://downloads.2kgames.com/bioshock/PC_Podcast_Ep_10.zip

Thanks, this confirmed that my 360 will probable play the game a little better than my current PC setup. I guess I'll be getting the 360 version, while my PC awaits for a major upgrade. Too bad I can't afford it right now. :(

@pjbliverpool:
Come on, dude. You've been through this many times in many different threads - you can't meaningfully compare the Xgpu to a PC gpu. Ignoring the fact that the Xgpu is architecturally different than PC gpus, the 360 has the advantage of being a closed platform (so games are almost certainly more well optimized), and it has a thinner API.

These issues alone suggest that the 360 version of a game is more likely to offer more consistent performance for people with "average" PCs (i.e. the overwhelming majority, if Valve's survey is an accurate representation of the typical PC gamer who is interested in shooters).

@pjbliverpool:
Come on, dude. You've been through this many times in many different threads - you can't meaningfully compare the Xgpu to a PC gpu. Ignoring the fact that the Xgpu is architecturally different than PC gpus, the 360 has the advantage of being a closed platform (so games are almost certainly more well optimized), and it has a thinner API.

You can meaningfully compare end performance which is all I have done above. My point is that we know the performance and settings of certain cross platform games on the PC with these GPU's. We either know or can estimate reasonably accurately the performance and settings of the same games on the 360 and often, perhaps even most of the time, the XT/X would have a comparable or higher framerate at comparable settings.

Given your statements above about the 360's closed box advantage which I totally agree with, that would suggest the X1900XT/X has longer legs because it can overcome that disadvantage to still provide similar or superior performance in many (most?) cases.

These issues alone suggest that the 360 version of a game is more likely to offer more consistent performance for people with "average" PCs (i.e. the overwhelming majority, if Valve's survey is an accurate representation of the typical PC gamer who is interested in shooters).

Of course it will. But that wasn't my point.

While the concept is true, I would argue that an X1900XT isn't a similar GPU performance wise. Obviously its close in the grand scheme of things but I think there are many benchmarks out there that show the X1900XT/X running cross platform games as well or better than the 360, thus suggesting that it must be a fair bit more powerful given the caveat that you outlined above.

Well from what has been seen in mp games then that seems to be true. And not to forget doing the same but with more AA and AF (something that many games lacks). But the podast benchmark numbers seem quite strange, so little in perfomance gain 7800 vs 8800 (!).

But well see when the PC demo/game is released. :smile:

Well from what has been seen in mp games then that seems to be true. And not to forget doing the same but with more AA and AF (something that many games lacks). But the podast benchmark numbers seem quite strange, so little in perfomance gain 7800 vs 8800 (!).

But well see when the PC demo/game is released. :smile:

Perhaps the 8800 numbers are with DX10 features enabled aswell compared to the 7800 with DX9 only.

The podcast certainly bodes well for the PC version anyway. Sounds like they have put a lot of effort into tailoring it for that platform.

Seeing the PC version is cheaper than 360, I'm really tempted in getting the PC version, but I like the simplicity of playing games on 360 without making tweaks and whatnot. So what are you guys getting? Why?

I've already got a kickin' pc, quad core with an 8800. But you know, there's just something to be said about playing this kind of game in the dark while chillin on the couch, watching it on a 50" screen with full 5.1 audio, the wireless controller, and my feet kicked up on the table. It just seems like it will be more fun to play this one on the 360 to me.

Not to sidetrack this fascinating discussion about display resolutions and GFX cards...:p ... but Bioshock jut recieved a 10/10 from Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81479&page=1

BioShock is the ultimate rarity: not only does it live up to its lofty promise, but exceeds it through simple, old fashioned talent and imagination - not to mention verve, style,class, wit, and sheer bloody-minded ambition. It takes the tired, worn-out FPS genre by the scruff of the neck, reinvents and bend it out of shape in such a breathtaking fashion that it's going to take something very special to top this in the months and years ahead. For a game to be so outstanding in one department is one thing - to manage to tick every single box from graphics to audio to gameplay depth to atmosphere and innovation is pretty much unprecedented. Seriously - if you don't find something to love about BioShock, we'd recommend a trip to the nearest doctor to check if your heart's still beating.

Well anyway, let's try to get back to the topic - I think in truth we all understand each other, we're just splitting hairs for interpretation. I just wanted to make the comment earlier that a 7600GT would still likely run the game if enough compromise was made in the settings, but that the 360 would offer better visuals in this scenario relative to TrungCap's PC. Obviously with pjbliverpool's setup, the situation changes. :p

I've already got a kickin' pc, quad core with an 8800. But you know, there's just something to be said about playing this kind of game in the dark while chillin on the couch, watching it on a 50" screen with full 5.1 audio, the wireless controller, and my feet kicked up on the table. It just seems like it will be more fun to play this one on the 360 to me.

...and another fair point.

Not to sidetrack this fascinating discussion about display resolutions and GFX cards...:p ... but Bioshock jut recieved a 10/10 from Eurogamer.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81479&page=1

And Scooby with the second review. :)

True, but if you have the PC hooked to the TV and a wireless controller then it is pretty much the same except better sound (software and X-Fi settings) as long as the speakers match it up! :D

But this game is getting good points in reviews so I will have to check this game out. Those that have played the demo, do you feel it is more scary than FEAR becouse that game was almost to much for me (child ghost in basement in demo... :oops: ).

Im in semi agreement with you there although I want to check out how it handles with the mouse before I make any final decisions. The devs of the PC version speak VERY highly of the PC control scheme in that podcast.

Be it on TV/Couch/Control pad or desk/monitor/mouse though I will be playing this game on the PC and the lights will be off! ;)

But this game is getting good points in reviews so I will have to check this game out. Those that have played the demo, do you feel it is more scary than FEAR becouse that game was almost to much for me (child ghost in basement in demo... :oops: ).

I played through a few levels of FEAR and didn't find it scary at all. Infact, I lost my interest and stopped playing it.

However, Bioshock's soundtrack is what really adds to the creepy feel. You just hear all sorts of shits going on in the background.

And the people are actually mental. Their dialouge is pretty disturbing at times.They have no concept of reality. Think of it like zombies mated with Bateman from the Psycho and that is the general personality of the citizens.

I don't know if this has been posted before but if you set your game defaults to hard difficulty then you can choose to play on hard at the beginning. I've tested it and it does make the enemies have more health and I assume do more damage.

I don't know if this has been posted before but if you set your game defaults to hard difficulty then you can choose to play on hard at the beginning. I've tested it and it does make the enemies have more health and I assume do more damage.

do you mean your Xbox 360 dash default game settings or the Bioshock settings?

Back