Reputation 2005-2007, RIP

bigtabs, can you please cut down on the double/triple/quadruple posting in a row? It really makes you look like a genuine troll spamming noob.

Hahaha, you see what I mean with old boy's attitudes. We're envious and trolls because we question the system? That's gotta be it! How dare they question my internets!
th_emot-psyduck.gif
Because you repeatedly make it so? |
Hey you people keep responding. If it bugs you that much let the discussion die in the wind.

edit: okay maybe this post is a tad trollish but you people were just asking for it! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
bigtabs, can you please cut down on the double/triple/quadruple posting in a row? It really makes you look like a genuine troll spamming noob.

Please don't insult me any more, it's becoming boring. AFAIK I haven't insulted anybody here.

I replied once to Geo, then after that happened I saw Digi's post.. So I replied to that... THEN Geo edited the post that I replied to, so I had to address that... Clear?

If people keep talking to me, I'll keep talking back.. I suppose that's what trolls do isn't it? ...and folks having a discussion. :rolleyes:

BT, I gave genuine advice. If you took it as an insult, then maybe you felt a bit guilty of your behavior?

Most people learn how to composite their response in one single message.

'Most people learn how to composite their response in one single message.'

Oh, most people do, do they? Yes, I usually would too, however I don't like to edit my posts in a fast moving thread for what I would assume to be quite obvious reasons. Seems that I didn't need to in this particular case, I'm sorry if I used up too many of your pixels.

So a forum that does not accommodate the demands of the newcomers is automatically an "old boys club"?

"I just got here and my post count/join date/whatever makes me feel inferior. Waaah. Waaaaaaaaah!!! Someone, redress my insecurity-causing condition at once!"

If the presence of postcout/join date makes you unable to enjoy the forum or contribute the productive matter, I daresay the problem is on your end.

So a forum that does not accommodate the demands of the newcomers is automatically an "old boys club"?

"I just got here and my post count/join date/whatever makes me feel inferior. Waaah. Waaaaaaaaah!!! Someone, redress my insecurity-causing condition at once!"

If the presence of postcout/join date makes you unable to enjoy the forum or contribute the productive matter, I daresay the problem is on your end.
It was a mere suggestion just like I've suggested on other other forums(such as at Guru3D where I have over 6,000 posts and a member since 2k4). I didn't expect people to get so defensive which proves my point. Look at who threw the insults in this thread. It's just that one of the reasons I feel the old discussion systems were generally more mature was because we didn't have all these things that contributed to building the cyber-ego. On second thought I shouldn't bring this stuff up anymore. The cat is out of the bag. I can no more complain about this than I can about console fanboys.

And for the record the only thing I envy is seeing other guys with girls I find attractive. you know, real life stuff?

I'm sorry for turning this thread all nasty. My initial sarky comment wasn't meant to do this, but looking back on it I can see why it did. My mistake.

Please forgive me B3D. I should have articulated myself more clearly without using the old sarcasm trick, which invariably fucks up on the internet.

Obviously some people are not happy about the rep going. Oh well, I think it's good riddance. Rep's a great idea in theory! Haven't seen it working out in practice though, maybe one day a new and wonderful method will be found and we'll all be using that.

Personally I think that rep isn't something you can attach a number to. IRL reputation is something you gain from people who know you and what you are capable of. IMO your user name and what you do and say is enough. Reputation already exists on the net, we don't need to quantify it. Arbitrary numbers don't mean a thing - not saying that many of the high ranking rep individuals of old were not worthy! just that this quantity is often not that relevant to the quality of the posts or the individual.

My 2 cents: I really regret that the system in gone.

The rep/nr. posts ratio was a great indicator to see if a certain stupid (IMHO) post of a poster was an occasional fluke that warranted a reply or general behavior that didn't really deserve attention, because it'd be wasted effort anyway.

Which brings me to the second point: I literary have written hundreds of (sometimes) long posts which I've deleted before submitting them because I felt they didn't really increase the signal/noise ratio by a decent amount. The reason why B3D is pretty much the only site to which I return daily, is because the amount of interesting content in a reasonable amount of posts is fairly high, so I don't have to wade through piles of garbage.

I don't understand why the number of posts is the one and only measurement stick to determine whether or not a poster is 'senior' or not: it's really easy to spew tons of posts per day that add nothing to a a discussion. Adding insightful content is much harder.

Also, rep's were very handy to thank someone for a nice insight, without having to go through the bureaucracy of writing a PM. Too bad.

I agree on that last bit. A comments system attached to specific posts would be most welcome. Rep without the rep.

The second to last bit does work, but not always or even most of the time. People rep their mates aswell as what they think of as good posts. I'm sure everyone can testify to getting rep for stuff that didn't really warrant it, from people who just happened to share an opinion on something trivial; yet failed to get any pos reps on insightful posts that took effort, consideration and understanding.

I always signed my name, I personally didn't like the anonymous part of the system for lower "ranking" members. In fact, I thought it was simply a tease, therefore I signed all my comments because I thought the person deserved to know who it was, even if it was a negative rep (though I don't think I've given but maybe one or two negative reps, can't remember).

Amen to that. I'm a casual poster here, but I've been around for a while. If I am going to make a comment about something, you at least deserve to know who is making the comment. I've never cared for anonymous criticism *or* praise. The system has benefits and drawbacks, but ultimately had no bearing upon my own personal experience here. It is refreshing that so much thought was put into whether it was working or not, though. That says that those maintaining the site care enough about the community to investigate what is in its best interest.

I agree with Silent_guy 100% as far as comments go. Being able to give provide quick feedback without polluting the thread or writing a one-line PM was very useful.

It was a mere suggestion just like I've suggested on other other forums(such as at Guru3D where I have over 6,000 posts and a member since 2k4). I didn't expect people to get so defensive which proves my point. Look at who threw the insults in this thread. It's just that one of the reasons I feel the old discussion systems were generally more mature was because we didn't have all these things that contributed to building the cyber-ego. On second thought I shouldn't bring this stuff up anymore. The cat is out of the bag. I can no more complain about this than I can about console fanboys.

And for the record the only thing I envy is seeing other guys with girls I find attractive. you know, real life stuff?

Vazel, I know exactly what you are talking about as far as inflated post count derived ego goes, but I honestly think this is one of very few forums where it does not matter. People neither defer to the established members not ignore newcomers with good insights.

Personally I think that rep isn't something you can attach a number to. IRL reputation is something you gain from people who know you and what you are capable of.
How do you communicate that to new inhabitants? When a newbie arrives and sees an argument between two fella's about some tech, how do they know who's most likely to be accurate? The Rep systems shows you what the people who know you and what you are capable of think of you. It's just a visible system that records whether your peers think you're worthwhile or not.

The Rep system itself is not bad IMO. The problem was the way it was used. We had different folk rep'ing on different criteria, and associated troubles. In my case I only -rep'd people if I thought their attitude was not welcome, or they lacked the necessary debating skills to contribute to useful discussion, or those aggravating spammers and noise mongers. Whereas others would neg rep if they didn't agree with you. Post a bit of wrong info, and rather than have it discussed 'you're wrong and here's why' instead you get slapped with a bit of negativity. Unless there's a way to control how people dish out reputation, it's a rather flawed system.

I guess you could have the mods attribute reps themselves, perhaps in labels. I think it's very important to identify the devs and real hardware guys from the rest of us lowly folk. Faf and DeanoC and ERP etc. should be identified as 'people who really know stuff and don't just guess or look it up moments before posting'!

How do you communicate that to new inhabitants? When a newbie arrives and sees an argument between two fella's about some tech, how do they know who's most likely to be accurate? The Rep systems shows you what the people who know you and what you are capable of think of you. It's just a visible system that records whether your peers think you're worthwhile or not.

No way. A quick recall instantly brings up names who I would certainly not consider unbiased who had rather large reps...

Shifty, some of that can be accomplished via customized usergroups with user-rank icons or display name treatment, or special user postbits. The customized usergroups can then be mapped to specialized username display. Or it can be mapped to specialized user-rank icons instead of having it default to post count. The special user postbits can be designated via an icon displayed near the info post bits. In either case, both ways require some admin setup and perhaps a template edit or two and then continual maintenance to ensure users are in the proper groups or have the proper post-bits.

Back