Zoey is in intensive care

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
My sister's 4 year old daughter Zoey is in intensive care with internal bleeding this morning, she was just in the hospital last week with illness.

If you got some free time, please think some happy thoughts at her. I'm a bit freaked and happen to love the kid an awful lot and can't even consider something this awful happening to her. :?

My sister is on visit at our parents and I've just finished installing their new broadband with her two very loud and lovable kids all around me, over me etc. I could love them to death.

I hope everything will be allright.

Oh, here's a quicky on what "HSP" is:

http://www.trcc.org/blood/21_henoch_schonlein.pdf

HENOCH-SCHONLEIN'S PURPURA (HSP)

HSP is not a true hematological disease but is often seen by the hematologist. It is presented here because of the anxiety it often causes in the parents of the children involved.

When blood escapes from a small blood vessel in the skin, it is referred to with different terms, depending on the size.

If small, less than 2 millimeters, like a pinpoint, it is termed a "petechia". Up to 1/2 inch, it is called a "purpura". If it is larger yet, a big bruise, it is called an "ecchymosis".
Eew. On the brightside the docs have assured me sis that they can keep her alive. :?

My family is doing pretty disgustingly excellent (knock-wood), but I appreciate the thought.

My niece is out of ICU now and is resting comfortably. Her bleeding has stopped and it looks like she is thru the worst of it.

Her parents nightmares however will be going on for a while, I've been researching HSP a bit and it seems like they're going to have to basically worry about how it affects her health forever now. :?

Best wishes for you and your family Digi. Hope your niece is doing a lot better.

I've got a friend here and he has two very cute daughters. If I had girls of my own, then I wish they are something like his kids. Really loveable. Anyways .. I treat them as my own and like to spoil them. I always said I only wanted boys.. but after these girls .. I wouldn't mind a daughter or two.

US

I was actually a tad disapointed when my son was born that he wasn't a little girl, but just a tad and it was no biggy....but I was elated when our second child was a little girl!

I love 'em both dearly and got fortunate and got great kids. This kind of extra sucks 'cause my 5 year old daughter Maddy and Zoey REALLY hit it off when they first met and sort of became best pals for life....Maddy has a picture next to her bed that Zoey sent her of the two of them playing in a frame that says "Sisters".

Zoey is doing good and will be fine I'm sure, the Hayden ladies are tough. :)

Hey man, best wishes for your sis's daughter.

I have always been of the opinion bad things shouldn't happen to little kids, but unfortunately they do. I hope the docs can patch her up real good so she can go back to running around in the sun n stuff that kids should be doing. :)

How did this happen? Inherited?

I've read on Italian papers about this disease that 94% of children who have developped it eventually recover from it. So everything's going to be OK sooner or later I reckon.

Greetings DW,

I send my best wishes from southern Brazil and positive thinking.

I really didn't get what happened to your niece. Wasn't her condition diagnosed before?

Good to hear she is doing better.

I had Henoch-Schonlein Purpura when I was around 10... IIRC it resulted from an infection of the bacteria that cause strep-throat (streptococcus I guess?). I didn't know that it could become so serious. Makes me think back now about the doctor telling me to watch for blood in my urine, and I thought he was being overly-dramatic. Just a sore throat and funny rash, after all. :?

Again, glad things are looking up!

Just got an update and she's doing better. She's in a regular room and she hasn't been throwing up, which is really good. :)

Thanks all.

Back