You're allowing fanboys now?

Zaphod

Remember
Veteran
Not as in encouraging the behavior, rather that the word 'fanboy' is no longer in the swear filter!?

When did that happen? (Edit: Mid February, apparently.) It's the end of an era... :eek:

It is no longer edited out. However, its usage still will not be tolerated when directed at another member.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=927959#post927959

By the way, after reading this thread, we decided to turn off the censorship of the word fanboy, which was a legacy of the old forum software and the product of times when moderation wasn't as strict as it is now and when people used to call themselves names every now and then. Since those time are long past and since we don't censor any other words, including cuss words, we just removed it from the list.
Obviously, it goes without saying that the fact that we removed it from the censor list does not mean that we condone its use when refering to another member on the forums. It's still considred as an improper way to characterize a person.

Yeah. I saw that just after I posted. Still, most of the legacy things and practices in our lives that are utterly useless from a practical point of view we keep around - not for any genuine purpose but because they've been institutionalized and turned into tradition. Thus, reading 'the word' here just felt kind of... well... wrong... Like inheriting your granddad's cabin and throwing out all those quaint knickknacks gathered there over generations to make room for a ping-pong table. Censoring it was part of the place. :oops:

Oh, well. Gotta' move with the times I guess. :cool:

Yeah. I saw that just after I posted. Still, most of the legacy things and practices in our lives that are utterly useless from a practical point of view we keep around - not for any genuine purpose but because they've been institutionalized and turned into tradition. Thus, reading 'the word' here just felt kind of... well... wrong... Like inheriting your granddad's cabin and throwing out all those quaint knickknacks gathered there over generations to make room for a ping-pong table. Censoring it was part of the place. :oops:

Oh, well. Gotta' move with the times I guess. :cool:

On the one hand, I feel ya, bro. I'm a traditionalist at heart too, and understand exactly what you meant by that. Otoh, as technology enthusiasts, and many of us as IT professionals of some flavor or other, we should know that "because we've ALWAYS done it that way", at root, is usually down to the exigencies of the moment that have become traditionalized quite by accident.

For instance, many of the "special foods" that grandma/mom makes that we love, when you take a hard look at them, turn out to have been depression-era recipes based on a desperate bid to feed a family on no money. Intellectualy we can understand that while still loving them because that's what grandma/mom made for us. . .

There's been a lot of changes the last few weeks, and I like to think that I've tolerated 'em reasonably well; but this?

This is a biggy, I dunno. :???:

Intellectualy we can understand that while still loving them because that's what grandma/mom made for us. . .
That's just what any tradition is, no? Something that once held some practical merit, but that has taken on a significance in it's own right after being separated from it's original purpose. Many still consider it still impolite to put your elbows on the table during a meal even though we don't live in a small space with 12 children, two unmarried sisters, and our mother(s) in law (except, perhaps, in Utah :devilish:). Let's be careful here, lest this thread is destined for RPSC. :D

I'm not really all that traditionalist, and always thought about that filter as more of a tongue in cheek mission statement rather than an actual barrier to causing offense.

There's been a lot of changes the last few weeks, and I like to think that I've tolerated 'em reasonably well; but this?

This is a biggy, I dunno. :???:
Come on, dig, now it sounds like you're overreacting to change here for overreaction's sake. The change was born out of the fact we think almost everyone around here is grown up enough to use the word in proper context and without malice or attack. Further, it's much less of a 'biggy' than other stuff we've done, so please just suck it up without the histrionics, since it's just tiring now.

Come on, dig, now it sounds like you're overreacting to change here for overreaction's sake. The change was born out of the fact we think almost everyone around here is grown up enough to use the word in proper context and without malice or attack. Further, it's much less of a 'biggy' than other stuff we've done, so please just suck it up without the histrionics, since it's just tiring now.
I was joking Rys, but I find your answer fascinating on a number of levels.

I think that I couldn't tell you were joking is also pretty fascinating on a number of levels :p

On the one hand, I feel ya, bro. I'm a traditionalist at heart too, and understand exactly what you meant by that. Otoh, as technology enthusiasts, and many of us as IT professionals of some flavor or other, we should know that "because we've ALWAYS done it that way", at root, is usually down to the exigencies of the moment that have become traditionalized quite by accident.

For instance, many of the "special foods" that grandma/mom makes that we love, when you take a hard look at them, turn out to have been depression-era recipes based on a desperate bid to feed a family on no money. Intellectualy we can understand that while still loving them because that's what grandma/mom made for us. . .

I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!!
I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!! I'M A FANBOY!!

Sorry had to do it

Sorry had to do it
Shut up.

Sorry, had to do it.

Back