You know you're been in Sweden to long when ...

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Stumbled across this thing ...
Some of them really hits the nail. :)

Some favourites:

5. When a stranger on the street smiles at you, you assume:
a: he is drunk
b: he is insane
c: he's an American

7. A friend asks about your holiday plans and you answer "Oh, I'm going to Europe!" meaning any other Western European country outside Sweden.

28. You hear loud-talking passengers on the train. You immediately assume:
a: they are drunk
b: they are Finnish
c: they are American
d: they are Turks
e: all of the above

36. You understand why the Finnish language has no future tense.

54. When someone asks for â€￾three cheersâ€￾ you say â€￾hoorah, hoorah, hoorah, hoorah!â€￾

58. You regard it as sensible to eat ice cream when it is –15C.

59. You regard it as sensible that the ice cream van comes around playing that annoying song when it is -15C.

60. Someone calls you a â€￾good moronâ€￾ first thing in the morning and you smile acknowledgement.

97. You reach for your pocket 20 times a day as mobile phones ring all around you.

98. You actually care if your mobile phone meets the fashion standard - and so do your new Swedish friends!

99. It seems reasonable that even those begging for money at T-centralen reach for their pocket as the melodic music of the Swedish mobile phone resounds.

106. Seeing a young woman with lit candles stuck to her head no longer disturbs you.

118. You can't contemplate actually doing anything until you've first had a 'fika' (with coffee AND cake). <---- Very true :)

128. Hearing the words f*ck and shag on daytime TV seems perfectly normal.

130. You mutter "oy,oy,oy" continually to yourself even though you are the only one in the room.

134. When someone asks you for "sex" you assume they mean half-a-dozen.

135. All winter you dream of what you will do in summer, and summer is the warmest day of the year

142. You talk of –10C as â€￾10 degrees coldâ€￾, when in Australia +10C would be considered cold. And who else calls +1C, â€￾one degree warmâ€￾!

189. You think there is nothing wrong with planning Christmas around Kalle Anka (Donald Duck). <------- So very true :D

190. You don't even think about what you are saying when you are off to the shop to buy your favourite brand of cat food, and you say, "Be right back love, I'm just gonna go get some Pussi"

202. When visiting others you try to go in first. If it's locked THEN you ring the doorbell.

208. As a student, you accept and even enjoy getting dressed in formal wear to go to a candle-lit 3 course dinner where you will alternately bang on your table and stand on your chair singing songs in praise of alcohol each and every time you attempt to raise your fork to your mouth.

212. The words "typ" and "liksom" are part of you spoken English vocabulary. <--- I personally have a hard time getting those words out of my vocabulary when I'm outside Sweden :)

Guess you gotta have been in Sweded to understand them all, but I thought they were pretty funny 8)

Humus said:
Stumbled across this thing ...
Some of them really hits the nail. :)

7. A friend asks about your holiday plans and you answer "Oh, I'm going to Europe!" meaning any other Western European country outside Sweden.
Ditto UK.
28. You hear loud-talking passengers on the train. You immediately assume:
a: they are drunk
b: they are Finnish
c: they are American
d: they are Turks
Turk? Effendim? :)
Anyway, why no Aussies? (Not that I ever talk loudly on a train)
36. You understand why the Finnish language has no future tense.
Bizarre! Mind you similar things can apply to other languages. For example, Turkish doesn't have the verb "to have". Instead of "I have a car", you need to say the equivalent of "My car exists". Of course, there are some things languages are better without - "Schadenfreude" (SP?) comes to mind :)
54. When someone asks for ?three cheers? you say ?hoorah, hoorah, hoorah, hoorah!?
:oops:! Hmmm Are "cheers" "commas" then? :)

130. You mutter "oy,oy,oy" continually to yourself even though you are the only one in the room.
That'll be from the caffeine+sugar rush you got from having too much "coffee and cake" .

And I thought that was just the Kiwis. [Awaits response from the neighbours]

142. You talk of ?10C as ?10 degrees cold?, when in Australia +10C would be considered cold. And who else calls +1C, ?one degree warm?!
I'll have you know we got frosts in Brisbane... on occasions. It must have got down to 4C :). It often felt cold because the houses there aren't really that well insulated against the cold. It's probably different matter in Tassie.

202. When visiting others you try to go in first. If it's locked THEN you ring the doorbell.
That sounds potentially, extremely embarassing! :oops:

212. The words "typ" and "liksom" are part of you spoken English vocabulary. <--- I personally have a hard time getting those words out of my vocabulary when I'm outside Sweden :)
But what do they mean?

I'll take the bait.

SimonF said:

At least we don't get done for sexual harassment. Try asking an Aussie bloke for "six", and see what you get... :D

Simon F said:
I'll have you know we got frosts in Brisbane... on occasions. It must have got down to 4C :). It often felt cold because the houses there aren't really that well insulated against the cold. It's probably different matter in Tassie.

Dear sir, I do remember a few years ago that we actually got down to FREEZING!!! Oh my god, what a disaster. We were pulling out every blanket we could find...

This year I'll be in Czech for Christmas where it's -20. No huge stack of blankets this time, just lots of hard liquor and mulled wine.

Nathan said:
Now you're insulting them. An Aussie never stops at a paltry six beers. ;)

Reminds me of a Scottish bartender joke:

Bartender: Tourist walks in, asks for typical scot drink.. - So I gave him sixteen pints of lager..

Cheers
Gubbi

Some of the things there are true, some aren't. The quote above is one example that certainly isn't true at all.

zurich said:
Finnish has no future tense? That's messed :oops:

Actually that's not strictly true, but we have the same form for the word in present and future tense and you have to deduce from the context which one is appropriate. There's also a way to make a kind of pseudo future tense which you can use to really differentiate between now and in the future, but it's clumsy and not really good writing style for example.

...when you can't spell "You know you've been in Sweden too long when..."

despite being able to write your own 3D engines with very advanced effects... ? :LOL:

A lot of those are right on spot, and some of them to the extent that I still wonder why it's worth mentioning (because it's so obvious that it's the way it should be :D).

But a lot of them fits for the northern part of Sweden, and not at all for other parts. (I've lived in Jokkmokk for half a year so I do recognize some of it from that time.)

Simon:
212:
"typ" = type,
"liksom" = like (as in "blue like the sky", not as in "I like cats")
It's considered bad language, but both words can be used as void "filler-words". I'm sure you've heard someone who manage to squeeze in a "like" in just about every sentence.

Basic said:
It's considered bad language, but both words can be used as void "filler-words". I'm sure you've heard someone who manage to squeeze in a "like" in just about every sentence.

errrrrrrr... like.... me? cuz... like... i never thought it as a bad thing......... :LOL:

Simon F said:
Humus said:
That sounds potentially, extremely embarassing! :oops:

I see nothing really wrong with it, guess I've been here too long then. :)
But it also depends on where in the country you live. Those grotty half-danes down south doesn't even seem to grasp the basic concept of how you use a doorbell.
But there's a seldom used word for people that always try to barge in like that, they're called door-masturbators(freestyle translation, it makes more sense in swedish/finnish/swedish-finnish), they keep jigglin' and yankin' the handle despite the door being locked.

CosmoKramer said:

Some of the things there are true, some aren't. The quote above is one example that certainly isn't true at all.

You haven't been to the north I see. :)
That's common practice around here if you visit someone you know. Especially if you're expected to come by. In fact, this practice is also extended to walk right in and ask if they have coffee ready and assume that if there's no coffee ready at that point then he will make coffee for you. Needless to say, some people from the south have trouble with this behavior.

Simon F said:
54. When someone asks for ?three cheers? you say ?hoorah, hoorah, hoorah, hoorah!?
:oops:! Hmmm Are "cheers" "commas" then? :)

Nah, it's just that in Sweden we do four cheers, not three.

Simon F said:

The word "sex" in Swedish means either "six" or "sex". Context usually makes it clear what you're asking for. It also suitable for some lame jokes, like "having sex" + 1 => "having seven"

london-boy said:

...when you can't spell "You know you've been in Sweden too long when..."

:oops:

Well, these are errors I usually don't make, I more commonly just don't remember "n't" like in "wouldn't" so that I say the exact opposite of what I mean. Anyway, I blame it on my sleeping trouble last night. Just couldn't fall asleep and really got only two hours or so of sleep.

Basic said:
"typ" = type,
"liksom" = like (as in "blue like the sky", not as in "I like cats")

Add to that this thing we say in the north which means like yes/yup/i agree, that's not really a word, just a quick breath in, sounding something like "schjjoooh", like we say in the north ... well, it wasn't quite a success the times I said it on the other side of the pond :)

Simon F said:
Turk? Effendim? :)
suuurrreeee...... riiigggghhhht..... :LOL:

Simon F said:
Bizarre! Mind you similar things can apply to other languages. For example, Turkish doesn't have the verb "to have". Instead of "I have a car", you need to say the equivalent of "My car exists".

Is there anything you don't know?! :oops:
Just out of blind curiousity, where did you learn this?

Back