You guys will drool over this. :)

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
http://www.cakes.mcmail.com/StarTrek/quantum.htm

In the episode Hunters, Taylor 1997, a relay station in the Delta Quadrant is located that uses a quantum singularity as a power source. The implication here is that the station has been constructed around a natural object as opposed to the singularity having been created for the purpose.

However while approaching the object the Voyager is shaken by gravitational radiation. At this point they are still at two light years from the object. We are told the singularity measures 1 cm in diameter, therefore it must have a Schwarzschild Radius of 0.005 metres.

It is comparatively easy to deduce the mass of the singularity by re-arranging the equation:

Rsch = 2GM/c2

Where G is the gravitational constant of the universe

c is the speed of light in a vacuum

M is the mass of the object.

\ .005 = 2 * 6.668*10-11 * M /299, 792, 500

449377715281250 = 1.3336-10*M

M equals 3,369,658,932,822,810,437,912,417.52 kilograms to two decimal places. M = 3.4*1024 Kg.

Now all we need use are Newton’s equations of gravity to calculate the acceleration due to gravity the Voyager would feel at a distance of two light years.

BTW: Can someone be kind enough to summarise it for us idiots please? :)

The short, short version is that Star Trek physics doesn't add up and the writers can't keep the universe internally consistent.

Everyone who's surprised by this, raise a hand..... :D

Oich, I do wish Star Trek would give over.

The problem with science fiction is that a good fraction of people think it's ficition with some science in it. Because some science ficiton has some science in it, that therefore most or all of the science in science ficition is science (ie. fact).

Think of it as fictional science and you're closer to the truth.

K.I.L.E.R said:
M equals 3,369,658,932,822,810,437,912,417.52 kilograms to two decimal places. M = 3.4*1024 Kg.

Now all we need use are Newton’s equations of gravity to calculate the acceleration due to gravity the Voyager would feel at a distance of two light years.

IIRC the mass of the earth is 6x10^24 kg, and the earth does not shatter a space ship two light years away. :)

pcchen said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

IIRC the mass of the earth is 6x10^24 kg, and the earth does not shatter a space ship two light years away. :)

You are right. :)
The mass of the earth is 6x10^24 kg. :)
I did learn a few things in my physics class. :)

Back