YDL v5.0 confirmed for PS3; arriving mid November

Microsoft, Apple, Real, Adobe/Macromedia etc. don't allow their codecs to be distributed with Linux. This means that unless your distro licenses the codecs, you have to download and install them yourself.
How's that different to any other PC? I'm forever downloading codecs and apps as they become updated.

vim-enhanced 7.0.035-0.fc5
emacs 21.4-14 : GNU Emacs text editor
I see they still refuse to take sides in a conflict that makes the console war seem like a minor disagreement.

ruby 1.8.4-6.fc5 : An interpreter of object-oriented scripting language
That's actually quite cool, though I shudder to think how "fast" ruby code runs on Cell ;)

Anyway, I don't think this list is quite final, or rather, it is not specific to the PS3 version. Do we really need
xorg-x11-drv-ati : Xorg X11 ati video driver
xorg-x11-drv-s3 : Xorg X11 s3 video driver
xorg-x11-drv-s3virge : Xorg X11 s3virge video driver
xorg-x11-drv-savage : Xorg X11 savage video driver
xorg-x11-drv-sis : Xorg X11 sis video driver
[...]
on our PS3s? :D

Also, searching for "evas" or "e17" or "enlightenment" yields 0 results. I'd say they still have some updating to do.

YDL v5.0 will still be supporting Apple hardware, so there is going to be some stuff in there that's irrelevant to PS3..

Also, Terrasoft has given a little more detail on how you'll install it. They added this new question to their FAQ:

How is YDL installed on PS3? Does it overwrite the GameOS?
YDL is installed via a bootloader and DVD, the details of which will be included in the Guide to Install. YDL runs on top of the GameOS much in the same way that Linux runs on top of firmware on Power or BIOS on x86.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/faq/ps3-general.shtml

edit - oh, and Engadget have a walkthrough of the PS3 XMB that reveals a little more in this regard too. There is indeed an "Install Other OS" option:

ps1ut2.jpg

And then selecting it will prompt you to create a partition for another OS using the Format Utility:

ps2pz1.jpg

Putting this, and the info from Terrasoft together, and it seems fairly clear how installation will work. The full engadget video is here:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/03/playstation-3-menu-interface-complete-video-walkthrough

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I'm going to try go for the 20GB, availability pending, and then pick up something like this.

I think what's interesting is that from the PS3 OS's perspective, what this other OS is doesn't really matter as long as its approved to boot on the machine. Seems set up to accomodate other types of OS or distros going forward if the vendors want to cooperate.

Personally I'm going to try go for the 20GB, availability pending, and then pick up something like this.

Kinda OT to the topic at hand, but I'm really interested in seeing how the 7200rpm drives compare to the 5400rpm drive I'm assuming is in the PS3 out of the box. It will be nice to see some load time numbers after launch; specifically comparing no hdd, 5200rpm hdd, and a 7200rpm hdd. :)

Yeah, That would do the trick, It will be interesting to see how much free space there is on the 20Gb, if it's similar to the 360 in that respect plus you need to keep 4/5 Gb for game caching it will be quite tight as soon as you download a couple of demos

I know it would look ugly but I am hoping that someone comes out with an adapter that allows you to use the internal 2.5" Sata slot with an external 3.5" Sata drive

Also, Terrasoft has given a little more detail on how you'll install it. They added this new question to their FAQ:
How is YDL installed on PS3? Does it overwrite the GameOS?
YDL is installed via a bootloader and DVD, the details of which will be included in the Guide to Install. YDL runs on top of the GameOS much in the same way that Linux runs on top of firmware on Power or BIOS on x86.
The PS3 Linux described by Kutaragi is supposed to be run as an application by the GameOS. Evidently this is not the case for YDL Linux on the PS3, since on x86 the BIOS does not run Linux as an application. Rather, in the booting process, Linux supplants the x86 BIOS, which cannot run again until another boot.

That looks like an over simplification by terrasoft,

As far as I understand it the GameOs & Linux are both run as 'applications' by the Cell Hypervisor Kernel, to the end user though it will likely appear as if Linux is Launched from within the GameOS leading to Terrasoft describing it the way they do in the FAQ

As far as I understand it the GameOs & Linux are both run as 'applications' by the Cell Hypervisor Kernel, to the end user though it will likely appear as if Linux is Launched from within the GameOS leading to Terrasoft describing it the way they do in the FAQ
Maybe. But my take is that the FAQ is right, Kutaragi is right, and the Linux that ships with PS3 and YDL Linux are just different animals. PS3's Linux does run as a GameOS application, but YDL Linux takes over the entire machine. We'll soon see.

Maybe. But my take is that the FAQ is right, Kutaragi is right, and the Linux that ships with PS3 and YDL Linux are just different animals.
YDL is the same for both PS3 and PCs. The only difference is that PS3 has a lower level OS than what we consider the OS on a PC. On a PC, exit Linux and you exit the machine. On PS3, exit Linux and you return to the bottom-most software layer. There won't be any difference to the Linux apps or users though. All it really means is if Linux crashes, you should still be able to quit back to XMB and close down the application or such, whereas on the PC you need to reboot.

Terra Soft has added a page of "featured apps", those that will be installed by default:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/apps.shtml

Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 Default Application Set
With over 2000 applications available with Yellow Dog Linux, there are often several available applications for each desired function. In the development of YDL v5.0, in the interest of making simple the use of Linux for first-time, even advanced users, we have created a default set of packages which offer all that you need to enjoy your Linux desktop experience.

Remember, the packages listed below are just a small selection of the vast quantity available to you, included with the YDL DVD and via on-line resources. While YDL v5.0 installs and defaults to E17, both KDE and Gnome desktops remain available to you at log-in.

You may use the command line yum. the graphical Pirut (replacement for 'system-config-install') to install additional applications from the YDL Install DVD, or Pup (replacement for Up2Date) to install applications from the internet. These may be apps built for KDE, apps built for Gnome or the myriad of applications that are available on-line from repositories such as Freshmeat.org, FreshRPMS, TuCows, and SourceForge.net.

And here's some precise availability info - it'll be released to YDL.net subscribers on Nov 27. Freely available on public mirrors from the week of Dec 25th:

When will YDL v5.0 Ship?

1. Monday, November 27: Download Install & Source ISOs via YDL.net Enhanced.
2. Monday, December 11: Purchase DVDs from the Terra Soft Store.
3. The week of December 25: Download Install & Source ISOs via the public mirrors.

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/delivery.shtml

Terra Soft has added a page of "featured apps", those that will be installed by default:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/ydl/apps.shtml

Grip A full-featured CD player and ripper which includes on-line database lookup, loop, shuffle, and playlist modes, ripping of single, multiple, or partial tracks; simultaneous rip and encode, support for multiple encode processes on SMP machines, and more ...

Totem is a very popular movie player based on xine-lib or GStreamer. It features a playlist, a full-screen mode, seek and volume controls, as well as keyboard navigation.

Rhythm Box Rhythmbox is an integrated music management application, originally inspired by Apple's iTunes. Rhythmbox has a number of features, including easy to use music browser, searching and sorting, comprehensive audio format support through GStreamer, internet radio support, and playlists.

That was exactly the kind of apps I thought Staats had in mind when he said he would be replacing his cd and DVD-player, and I think this list will grow fast. :D

Does anyone know if the PowerPC Citrix client for PowerPC (Mac) is going to work for YDL? Because if Citrix works, that's going to be one major step for not needing a x86 at home for me ... (apart from already getting a laptop from work, of course ;) - I mean, I still have to develop some x86 software, but looking forward to moving away from the Windows platform and avoid buying a new PC)

Does anyone know if the PowerPC Citrix client for PowerPC (Mac) is going to work for YDL? Because if Citrix works, that's going to be one major step for not needing a x86 at home for me ... (apart from already getting a laptop from work, of course ;) - I mean, I still have to develop some x86 software, but looking forward to moving away from the Windows platform and avoid buying a new PC)

Good point. We use Citrix to at our job. Hmmmm.....that really has me thinking.

Oh god... Citrix...

*shivers down the spine*

Had, and still have, really stupid experiences connected to Citrix. Not because of Citrix itself, just the mess in my company's global network. Not good.

Back