Xp x86 or x64?

are you saying vista doesnt use more memory if its available ?

The discussion seems to be surrounding whether anyone "needs" 4Gb of ram -- so if Vista uses more memory, then that's just another argument for "needing" 4Gb of ram.

In other words, to echo what BRiT just got done explaining, we need relevant information versus a snippet from a an 18-month old beta of an operating system that has since gone through qualification, gold stamping, and a whole service pack.

Further, we need to see these tests with modern video and audio drivers; they too consume memory and were FAR from "right" when this test was started.

xp64 vs vista64

i think both xp64 and vista64 have there bad sides. vistas is alright but ive had more problems with the os. ive had to redo my system more often with vista and its a vista system. xp64 ive only had to redo once and that was when i upgraded to vista. im leanning more on xp64. everything runs great with xp64

What a way to go with a first post - by digging up the corpse of a thread that's nine months old.

And if you've had to "re-do" your system with vista "more often" since it's only been gold for about two years, then there's something else wrong. I have three vista boxes and two XP boxes at home; none of which have required a reformat in the last two years. And they all get quite a bit of use / abuse.

The only Vista rig that I have that needs a reformat is my primary office laptop (T60) and that's because I've installed, removed, and reinstalled probably six dozen applications over the last 18 months, most of which are internally developed stuff that isn't really "right" to begin with.

So basically, if you're having to reformat, it's either some seriously shoddy applications you're running (my problem) or you're just doing it wrong.

Back