Vista observations and opinions

NTFS writing from Linux is actually pretty decent nowadays if you use a distro with the recent driver, like Ubuntu, but you cannot change the metadata. Not a problem in 99+% of the cases, but it could potentially bork up things when you replace a file that has it.
Well, I just nabbed the latest official kernel, and the documentation remains the same. Only write support without modifying file length is supported.

Well, I just nabbed the latest official kernel, and the documentation remains the same. Only write support without modifying file length is supported.
That's strange. The last time I tried it, I could read and write as I wanted.

That's strange. The last time I tried it, I could read and write as I wanted.
Hmmm. I dunno. You're making me want to try it out myself! I am getting a new laptop next week...sounds like the perfect time to try it out...

I downloaded the software from automatix, which then gave me full write ability to ntfs. Prior to that, I could only read existing files (and possibly create new ones), but not modify or delete current files.

Updated the mobo's BIOS, removed everything else off the SATA controller, used a new SATA cable, put the hard drive on SATA0, all good. Drive needed a chkdsk and I've since defragmented and installed Company of Heroes. Stable so far.

It'll probably get fixed in the service pack. Before that, you're all beta testers, and why so many people stay away from a new MS OS until that first service pack arrives.
I would have done the same, if my new laptop wasn't Vista only. The manufacturer doesn't even offer downloadable XP drivers.

One would think that after, what, 7 yrs of development, that the darned OS wouldn't have some of the serious issues that have been patched so far. And one also has to wonder why some people jump all over a new MS OS as if it's going to reinvent the world before their eyes? Heh.

I sometimes get so annoyed that I need to go back to Windows 98 for a day. UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a!!!!! Cleanse yourselves my friends! ;)

screenshot.jpg

I just found this forum the other day. Look at the crazy upgrades these guys have created for 98SE! It's crazyness!
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showforum=91

Last edited by a moderator:
One would think that after, what, 7 yrs of development, that the darned OS wouldn't have some of the serious issues that have been patched so far. And one also has to wonder why some people jump all over a new MS OS as if it's going to reinvent the world before their eyes? Heh.
People simply love to buy new stuff, especially when it glitters.

But even the people at MS agree that Vista is quite bad, as long as they're not speaking officially. They restarted it twice, and they had to drag it over the finish line by their eyebrows. That's also why it's a dead end: I think most developers at MS will throw a severe fit at the notion to continue building on Vista.

Then again, it creates a huge amount of money for them in any case. And that's what matters.

People simply love to buy new stuff, especially when it glitters.

But even the people at MS agree that Vista is quite bad, as long as they're not speaking officially. They restarted it twice, and they had to drag it over the finish line by their eyebrows. That's also why it's a dead end: I think most developers at MS will throw a severe fit at the notion to continue building on Vista.

Then again, it creates a huge amount of money for them in any case. And that's what matters.

I was under the impression that vista's code was a hell of a lot more manageable than xp. In fact, I was under the impression that that was the primary purpose of vista, reign in the windows code base to something modular and easily maintainable, and then just throw in some token efforts to encourage people to "upgrade to it" when the majority of the benefit exists only to Microsoft's own devs, meaning that end user benefits of vista won't really manifest until the next MS OS.

Vista is supposed to be much more secure though, but considering that many of the exploits, viruses, and spyware that worked under xp still work under vista, I don't take their claims of security very seriously.

I was under the impression that vista's code was a hell of a lot more manageable than xp. In fact, I was under the impression that that was the primary purpose of vista, reign in the windows code base to something modular and easily maintainable, and then just throw in some token efforts to encourage people to "upgrade to it" when the majority of the benefit exists only to Microsoft's own devs, meaning that end user benefits of vista won't really manifest until the next MS OS.

Vista is supposed to be much more secure though, but considering that many of the exploits, viruses, and spyware that worked under xp still work under vista, I don't take their claims of security very seriously.
Well, yes, that was the idea. It didn't work out like that. But they promise the next one will.

Well, yes, that was the idea. It didn't work out like that. But they promise the next one will.

Source? Afaik, the new one is building off of the vista code base.

Not to mention that as an OS, vista does appear to offer some important things over xp. Better error handling, more modular and abstracted (though that seems to be continually cut away as abstracting hardware too much shows its ugly side), better security, better I/O management, and just a general host of decisions that make it more unix like. I'd say vista's about halfway there to being a good unix copy in terms of the underlying framework.

I have fallen in love with Vista 64.

Everything is smooth, except the initial installation process, which froze right after I boot with the Vista 64 install DVD the very first time. That was it. Reboot and there I go.

I love Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

Note: I appears some apps take a fraction of a second longer to load than in Windows XP. May my impression.

Other than that.............

Note2: Fear Extraction Point, 1920x1200, all details maxed out ---> 120 fps avg.

Language options ---> You set language and keyboard in one window at once. An improvement over previous Windows versions.

Back