Xbox 360 selling at one-third of Microsoft's goals :analysts

expletive said:
Hadnt they backed off the 3 million in 90days estimate and revised it to something like 5.5 million by end-June?
There was an article about it but they denied it and reaffirmed their 90day target and 4.5-5.5M by (start of?) June.

That 4.5-5.5 million by June target was an original target. The 'revised' target was a case of ignoring the question 'will you meet the 3 million in 90 days target' when asked (Balmer I think) and focussing on the original longer term goal.

By accounts (what little we have) the shortages are production issues. These are unfortunate but 'unavoidable' in that you can't prepare for them. Same happened with PS2. You have a system and forecast how quickly you can produce it and plan accordingly, but if you come a cropper to gremlins it's nowt but tough luck. The only way MS can be fairly cricisted is if they can increase production (in an economically viable fashion) but aren't doing so.

Edge said:
You're right, the lower demand maybe a problem with manufacturing, as the 360 still cannot be bought here also.

Then that would be a problem with supply, and not demand.

function said:
Then that would be a problem with supply, and not demand.

I should not post at work, when my head is full of work details. Thanks for catching that. Supply is the issue.

Edge said:
The thread title is just the article title.

You're right, the lower demand maybe a problem with manufacturing, as the 360 still cannot be bought here also.

You come across very biased based on your terminology. You may not mean to be doing this.

The correct term isn't "lower demand". That infers stores and customers aren't desiring this product or that shipments are exceeding demand. Neither are true.

Perhaps what you are saying is that "shipping volume issues" may be a problem with manufacturing.

We'll only get a true barometer of what demand is when shipments exceed it.

#1. They never backed of the 3 million estimate, that was simply poor reporting.

#2. This is 4 week old news. MS Sold 1million in 05....so? We've known this for a while now!

Just another article made from recycling other articles. What we really wanna know is how many have they sold THIS month!

Back