xbox 360 screen corruption

scooby_dooby said:
I agree with Guden, there's no reason they deserve any slack here(well maybe a little), it's a bug that should've been caught and it wasn't, that's really the bottom line. No excuses.

As a mod developer I have some insites to bugs like this. I see both sides of the fence.

One once side yes every bug should be fixed and the system should be 10000% stable.

However if you are running the system in a manor that it was not designed to run in, then is a small bug that big of a deal and is it something I want to spend time on (vrs say fixing another bug that happens in normal operation)? I am sure there are many many ways to make the system break and a very good QA team will try to figure some of the common or easy ways to break it and test it..

Again not saying its right, wrong, just wanted to make you all think about this before flaming MS. For me I try to balance a bug like this with the efffect it causes against the current list of bugs given a time table...

WellI don't think I was flaming them, the rest of my post shows that I think.

It's still fairly surprising this made it through QA, I really would've thought that this would've been noticed. I mean you have to develop a process for the software to do when the network cable is unplugged, which they did, and it works well, however they forgot to test it when the screensaver is on, which is QUITE the oversight IMO.

If I was on the QA team, it would've been a no-brainer to test the network unplug functionality in the 2 available modes(with screensaver or without) especially with something like downloads where the demo's typically take 1-2 hours, and on a console where screensaver is enabled by default.

Not a big deal though.

jb said:
As a mod developer I have some insites to bugs like this. I see both sides of the fence.

One once side yes every bug should be fixed and the system should be 10000% stable.

However if you are running the system in a manor that it was not designed to run in, then is a small bug that big of a deal and is it something I want to spend time on (vrs say fixing another bug that happens in normal operation)? I am sure there are many many ways to make the system break and a very good QA team will try to figure some of the common or easy ways to break it and test it..

Again not saying its right, wrong, just wanted to make you all think about this before flaming MS. For me I try to balance a bug like this with the efffect it causes against the current list of bugs given a time table...

thanks for the insight....

file this bug under the long list of "much ado about nothing re:X360" IMO. ;)

Ok, I'm leaning towards this being a user error on my part. I need to buy a proper cable with the locking mechanism intact. It's way too easy to detach the cable when it doesnt lock in place properly.

Mendel said:
Ok, I'm leaning towards this being a user error on my part. I need to buy a proper cable with the locking mechanism intact. It's way too easy to detach the cable when it doesnt lock in place properly.
the one that came with my unit locks fine .

Btw why are u pulling on that cable ?

It's probably just a rendering conflict between the "Disconnected from Live" message and the screensaver.

Since it doesn't appear to crash the system, it probably wasn't judged to be critical enough to fix before the launch. There were probably a bojillion other bugs that were higher priority.

I bet it'll get fixed eventually in one dashboard update or another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guden Oden said:
Jvd,
I can imagine someone fiddling behind their switch/router and then disconnects the wrong patch cable. Or maybe wants to tidy up the rat's nest behind the computer desk and unplugs everything for that reason. And then there's the original poster's situation with a bad cable.

In any case, it's very counter-productive to sit and imagine reasons why this bug would NOT happen, and then post a whiny complaint about it in this thread to try and discredit the original poster.

So there's a bug in the dashboard. So what. Is it the end of the world or something? No, of course not.

it is for JVD ..
btw, some people tryd to crash the xbox but it didnt happen.
the xbox boots up without errormessages even without a dvd drive , and other bits and pieces they could detach from the mainbord.
suprisinly, swapping DVD drives with another xbox didnt work!

Powderkeg said:
The only "bug" is the idiot who did something that the users manual tells you specifically never to do.

And MS has no control over that bug.

Do you design software? I do, and as far as I'm concerned, if the user can crash your system using your interface, you screwed up, period.

Powderkeg said:
I could reproduce that, but why would I want to reproduce the product of an idiot.
I fail to see how Mendel is an idiot because his network patch cable came loose when poked. There's a reason you're unable to for example edit your posts on this site, and needlessly calling people idiots is probably a big contributing factor to this. Just FYI...

RTFM. It says to never unplug the network cable while the power is on. DUH!! :rolleyes:
I did RTFM and I suppose I missed that piece of advice. Then again, ethernet is specified to be hot-pluggable. If MS didn't design hardware/software robust enough to handle that event then they're literally out of spec.

The question is, why would someone want to reproduce a boneheaded mistake?
Like so many others you make the mistake in trying to find some ulterior motive behind the original post. For curiosity's sake, wouldn't it be interesting to know if this behavior is common amongst other 360 owners? I sure think so, not that I have any particular interest in unplugging my ethernet cable while downloading (as it would interrupt my download), and I also think people should not have to put up with being called idiots, boneheads etc for using this forum for what it's there for.

Sheesh!

Hi:

Long time reader; First time posting.

I think a similar screen corruption happened; my Xbox360 was left on screen saver mode downloading Need for Speed Demo...saw a corrupted screen in the morning. Panic..

Jumped over to my PC; which is connected via Ethernet cable to my Xbox360..and lo and behold my bloody Pipex ADSL line has cut off again (long story)

I would say don't be so hard on people who experiment and inform us here in the forum; at some point it will lead to an answer.

Peace

jvd said:
the one that came with my unit locks fine .

The one that came with the unit is way too short as I said before...

Anyways, I went for a wireless networking solution, works fine so far. No more 20m cable running from living room to bedroom

edit: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, WILWONG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mendel said:
edit: where are my manners? Welcome to the forum, WILWONG!

Hi Mendel; thank you.

Yep; I think the Xbox360; while in screensaver mode; throws a screen wobbley when cut off from Xbox Live while downloading(if you cut off your ADSL at the PC end)..which is similar to disconnecting the Ethernet cable. Anyhow; it doesnt do the Xbox any harm but I will be handing out some harm to Pipex soon if they don't sort my ADSL out!

scooby_dooby said:
Do you design software? I do, and as far as I'm concerned, if the user can crash your system using your interface, you screwed up, period.
The system didn't crash?

.Sis

EDIT: Was this thread pruned? I can't find the post that scooby's post is in response to.

You're right it didn't crash. It's not even a big deal. I just hate this idea that someone would try and put the blame on the user, it's not the users fault, when you design software you assume the user does stupid shit, it's your job to make sure they can't basically.

I'm actually more astouned by what the bug causes than that there's a bug to begin with. Designing fool-proof software is one thing, but those resulting in wierd results on screen is another...

Back