Xbox 360 GPU upgradeable ??!?!

Vysez said:
AFAIK, none of thoses game have been announced, by their publishers, as X360 exclusive.

I was asking where we had heard that the 3rd party titles were timed exclusives and not "pure" exclusives.

While you are correct that we have not heard such (at least I have not), on the other hand we heard almost nothing about most of those titles before E3 (at least nothing in regards to the Xbox 360). Before E3 the Xbox 360 was "hush hush" and it has been pretty quiet since.

I am not doubting that they are timed exclusives, I am just curious where we are getting that information.

I know if I was a publisher of a big brand I would want big money for an exclusive, and since the Xbox 360 is shipping 4-6mo early anyhow, there is no real need to get an exclusive on most of those. Kind of like "Old News" type situation.

Acert93 said:
since the Xbox 360 is shipping 4-6mo early anyhow, there is no real need to get an exclusive on most of those.

I'm pretty sure thats why some of these are being called exclusive

orfanotna said:
Heh..

I guess you're right, it wasn't *officially* confirmed, and there is no page for it on ps3.ign.com. However, here are 2 snippets from articles/interviews:

Not a big deal, I was not doubting. I was just more curious of the source and the "it has already been confirmed a number of times" because I had not heard that for certain. Your quotes do indeed indicate that it may/will be on the PS3 unless MS has recently obtained an exclusive.

It will be interesting to see which ones remain Xbox 360 console exclusives. MS does need a health dose of exclusives as Sony definately has a heap of them.

SanGreal said:
Acert93 said:
since the Xbox 360 is shipping 4-6mo early anyhow, there is no real need to get an exclusive on most of those.

I'm pretty sure thats why some of these are being called exclusive

o_O

Kind of like proclaiming, "I am undefeated" when both of the competition had to cancel the first race of a 5 race season. Well DUH you are undefeated... but that does not say much!

Having an "exclusive" because you are the only next gen console on the market is, well, kind of stupid! Good PR and all, and yes the games are available sooner... but that is a given!

This all goes back to the "timed exclusives" where they could not confirm a title, then they will turn around and the late console gets a version with more stuff, then the other console gets the "Turbo/Super/etc." edition. Yeah, whatever.

I think it depends on how long after the x360 the ps3 comes out if it's a whole year they might not work on a port and just start on the next set of games, and some of the directx pc ports may just be on the x360 because it's an easy port

You should had chosen Zelda Majora's Mask as an example of the, supposedly, usefulness of the N64 RAM PAK, seeing how abysmally bad Donkey collect-thon Kong 64 was.

you're right, but I just said donkey kong because it was included when I bought it

Aside from the sematics argument, this PSM magazine (paid) insert is certainly interesting.

I've been wondering why MS hasn't shown what the console looks like with the front face plate removed. Perhaps they were hiding a feature they wanted to reveal later?

having read the insert myself, I find that a lot of the things on that list are misquotes, such as the memory card thing and upgradeable gpu.

also, I can't find anywhere that it lists games as exclusive or not.

jvd said:
13) Memory Card can Sync with the Face Plates to Animate the Face plate (Lava lamp ex)

cool if thats true i don't need a night light anymore

the article just says that some face plates might plug directly into the mem card slot to give you matching dashboard themes. No idea where he got the thing about animations and lava lamps

Acert93 said:
Vysez said:
AFAIK, none of thoses game have been announced, by their publishers, as X360 exclusive.

I was asking where we had heard that the 3rd party titles were timed exclusives and not "pure" exclusives.

While you are correct that we have not heard such (at least I have not), on the other hand we heard almost nothing about most of those titles before E3 (at least nothing in regards to the Xbox 360). Before E3 the Xbox 360 was "hush hush" and it has been pretty quiet since.

I am not doubting that they are timed exclusives, I am just curious where we are getting that information.

I know if I was a publisher of a big brand I would want big money for an exclusive, and since the Xbox 360 is shipping 4-6mo early anyhow, there is no real need to get an exclusive on most of those. Kind of like "Old News" type situation.

i think the issue is a little more complex though

With this i speak mainly of the EA games - almost all of them have counterparts coming out on the current gen systems (eg, GR3 is supposed to be coming out on ps2, xbox and xbox360 iirc)... i would say that these games are unliklely then to hit the ps3 in the same form (as they have already been on the ps2). Even though it's likely to be a lot better, sales of (eg) GR3 on ps3 wouldn't be too hot after it's been out for 6 months already on ps2 (as you say, the old news situation). I'd wager that we won't see (eg) GR3 on ps3, but may see "GR3: I can't Believe It's Another Expansion" come out across the next gen consoles simultaneously.

SanGreal said:
jvd said:
13) Memory Card can Sync with the Face Plates to Animate the Face plate (Lava lamp ex)

cool if thats true i don't need a night light anymore

the article just says that some face plates might plug directly into the mem card slot to give you matching dashboard themes. No idea where he got the thing about animations and lava lamps

i remember reading about some face plates being able to plug into the usb port to get power for illumination, but i remember thinking at the time how you'd then have a wire running to the back of the console, and it would take up the slot for the wireless adaptor... unless it was referring to ta controller port usb at the front (behind the little cover at the bottom/right). Would make more sense to me if it drew power from one of the memory cards...

lava lamps are so expensive. maybe they could make a two tone face place with different glow spots, but the cost would be high and it may not look good as the 'side show'

lip2lip said:
lava lamps are so expensive. maybe they could make a two tone face place with different glow spots, but the cost would be high and it may not look good as the 'side show'

They could make a 1000 color LED system like the one used on iAudio flash MP3 players. 8)

I'm kinda wondering, what would be the point of an upgradeable console?

And I'm talking about being able to upgrade the graphics chip, CPU, RAM, and hell quite possibly the motherboard.

It's all starting to sound like a regular personal computer.

The thing that you'd run into, is imagine buying a game that has all these wizbang graphics and great AI, but on the package it says that you'd only be able to "experience" them if you had 'X graphics chip' and 'Y amounts of RAM' or 'Z cpu'. At least that's the aspect I'm looking at it.

Without a definite standard for a consoles specs, the game makers would be back at square one in making games. In the context of games for consoles and games for PC's. They'd have to make sure the game could run on the "standard" console, but pray that people would have bought either X, Y, or Z upgrades to fully get it to run right. And also compatibility of the hardware.

Just my 2 cents :D

linthat22 said:
I'm kinda wondering, what would be the point of an upgradeable console?

And I'm talking about being able to upgrade the graphics chip, CPU, RAM, and hell quite possibly the motherboard.

It's all starting to sound like a regular personal computer.

The thing that you'd run into, is imagine buying a game that has all these wizbang graphics and great AI, but on the package it says that you'd only be able to "experience" them if you had 'X graphics chip' and 'Y amounts of RAM' or 'Z cpu'. At least that's the aspect I'm looking at it.

Without a definite standard for a consoles specs, the game makers would be back at square one in making games. In the context of games for consoles and games for PC's. They'd have to make sure the game could run on the "standard" console, but pray that people would have bought either X, Y, or Z upgrades to fully get it to run right. And also compatibility of the hardware.

Just my 2 cents :D

Actually if the game has built in scaling, it would be able to work with a standard configuration as well as the upgraded configuration.

orfanotna said:
I know that it's been confirmed many times that Elder's Scrolls 4 will be on PS3, so at least that one isn't a "real" 360 exclusive. I haven't seen any mention of Quake 4 on PS3 though. Come on, id/Raven!

Actually in a recent Interview the folks at Bethesda said that right now only Xbox 360 version and PC have been announced, and right now no other consoles announced.

Wich means that for the time being, the game IS Xbox 360 (Console Realm) exclusive....Just like GTA is "Exclusive" for the Ps2, even if the Xbox gets the game later on.

And i dont even know if they are going to make a Ps3 version, specially if it doesnt come with HDD.

But anyway, 6 months difference kinda makes it "Time-Exclusive", the fact is, when the games launch they will be "Only on Xbox360" for some months.

Maybe with enough of an uproar, they will redo the video output to include DVI/HDCP or HDMI.

That way, they could more easily do the blue-laser drive upgrade that they've been hinting at.

I think that's the game they're playing, that if there are some components in which they appear deficient, they could say things like "specs could change before release" or "we'll find a way to support HDTV movies somehow."

They can't outright give specific schedule like say in 2007 we'll have an upgraded edition with blue-laser drive because if they did so, then people might balk at buying the launch configuration.

Meanwhile, they still have to offer hope that it could be more competitive in some areas.

Back