XB2 Simultaneous US and European launch this Xmas?

It depends. I VERY much doubt PS2 and especially PSP were being produced and stockpiled 6 months in advance.

6 months? PS2? Yes... PSP? No...

It's a good thing that peak numbers are all that matters!

Peak number IMO are more useful than "average" numbers. Average numbers really don't mean much without a context, whereas at least with a peak number, you're dealing with a known function operating on a known data set to achieve it... Easier to extrapolate performance than to rely on some nebulous "average"...

I seen this coming a long time ago. In one of Microsoft's reports, they mentioned the first Xbox being the key to get them in the door. Then it was mentioned that their second console would be the one they would use to wrestle the market from Sony a little bit at a time.

Hehe, they've been saying that ever since post launch... Before the launch it was quite a different tune... :p

It was said that they would launch thier console in three of the main territories almost simultaneously to 1up the competition. Those territories were the US, Europe, and Japan. With a launch like this, I'm afraid Nintendo is going to have a problem.

Well they originally planned to launch the first Xbox simultaneously in all three regions as well, and that didn't quite work out. Doing so is quite an undertaking that requires a lot more than just having a supply of hardware ready...

Anyway, what they are trying to do is take advantage of the competition's continuous shortages every new generation.

This is assuming they don't have supply issues of their own...

archie4oz said:
It depends. I VERY much doubt PS2 and especially PSP were being produced and stockpiled 6 months in advance.

6 months? PS2? Yes... PSP? No...

It's a good thing that peak numbers are all that matters!

Peak number IMO are more useful than "average" numbers. Average numbers really don't mean much without a context, whereas at least with a peak number, you're dealing with a known function operating on a known data set to achieve it... Easier to extrapolate performance than to rely on some nebulous "average"...

I seen this coming a long time ago. In one of Microsoft's reports, they mentioned the first Xbox being the key to get them in the door. Then it was mentioned that their second console would be the one they would use to wrestle the market from Sony a little bit at a time.

Hehe, they've been saying that ever since post launch... Before the launch it was quite a different tune... :p

It was said that they would launch thier console in three of the main territories almost simultaneously to 1up the competition. Those territories were the US, Europe, and Japan. With a launch like this, I'm afraid Nintendo is going to have a problem.

Well they originally planned to launch the first Xbox simultaneously in all three regions as well, and that didn't quite work out. Doing so is quite an undertaking that requires a lot more than just having a supply of hardware ready...

Anyway, what they are trying to do is take advantage of the competition's continuous shortages every new generation.

This is assuming they don't have supply issues of their own...

I totally agree. Supply issues are the main factor. Even when they thought that they would never run dry of the Xbox consoles, some how it ended up happening anyway. I guess we'll just have to see how this next launch of theirs turn out.

I don't think nintendo has to worry , they are almost at the point where nintendo fans will just pic up a system. Thier games will continue to sell extremely well and thats that .

They will never get over 30million systems again unless they are ready to buy up good games (i.e pay to have gta on nintendo only , or gt5 or whatever) and buy enough of them to make a diffrence

You never know especially if they come out wih some type of truly revolutionary controller. They messed up on 2 things this generation. First denying the appeal of multiplayer. Mario Kart online would have moved some systems and won some converts. Secondly charging more licensing fees than MS and Sony. Bad idea when your SKUs sell less on multi-console releases.

Ive never owned a Nintendo system but have been tempted a few times to pickup a gamecube. I think the controller is best of the three for non-fps games. Should nintendo release something that stands out from the pack
nextgen I may.

You never know especially if they come out wih some type of truly revolutionary controller. They messed up on 2 things this generation. First denying the appeal of multiplayer. Mario Kart online would have moved some systems and won some converts. Secondly charging more licensing fees than MS and Sony. Bad idea when your SKUs sell less on multi-console releases.

Can't agree on the online part. Considering for many years of the ps2's life it had no online support at all meanwhile the dreamcast did and we see which won .

Would multiplayer have helped ? Yes , but it wouldn't have saved sales .

For nintendo to have a chance of doing well they need to do some things

1) A powerfull easy to develop for system that is also cheap. If they can launch again at 200$ while the others are at 300$ that will help once again .

2) Make 2 designs , a kiddie one and a more modern look of the system. So it will apeal more to adults .

3) Have a strong launch line up and follow that with a strong first year line up . They need a mario at launch , pilot wings as allways at launch , sports games and an rpg . Then they need to put out high profile games for the rest of the year at least 1 big one and a couple of small ones every 3 months to build up a library .

4) They need to get someone bigger than capcom exclusive. If they could get sega , capcom and another medium developer with high profile games to make exclusive games for them from the start they will be fine .

As for multiplayer on the next gen , i believe they will have wireless lan built into the system which will be a great step foward .

Ive never owned a Nintendo system but have been tempted a few times to pickup a gamecube

I see your from ohio , go to gamestop and get a used one for 60$ and a few games , almost all of the great games are now 20ish new . Its really a shame not to pick it up .

Back