XB2 Simultaneous US and European launch this Xmas?

Pugger

Regular
Good Source namely MCV.

http://www.mcvuk.com/html/news/story.jsp?newsId=1930051

Microsoft is on course for a dramatic end-of-year hardware roll-out in the West - with its next generation Xbox successor thought to be on track for launch in both the US and Europe by Christmas.
MCV believes that the Redmond giant is keen to seize the time advantage it currently appears to have over Sony and the PlayStation 3.

Senior US sources have revealed that third-party publishers are working towards a simultaneous launch for the new format in both key Western territories in time for the crucial holiday season.

The move will surely be warmly welcomed by the trade, with most undoubtedly expecting the launch to follow the pattern established by the current model – i.e. the Euro roll-out several months after North America.

However, Xbox 2 - which is codenamed Xenon - is expected to arrive this side of the Atlantic within weeks of the US launch, MCV can exclusively reveal.

A glance at software schedules highlights exclusive titles for the current Xbox format drying up beyond Q1. And, with hardware still in short supply at retail, the signs suggest that both Microsoft and its third-party publishing partners are increasingly channelling resources into preparing for the next-gen unit.

Microsoft is almost certain to remain silent on the matter until its E3 conference in May.
And Xbox, despite hardware shortages, does have strong momentum; the company’s refusal to speak about Xbox 2 at next month’s Game Developer Conference suggests it wants to maximise sales of the current machine while the last raft of blockbuster titles hits retail.

Xbox 2 has been widely predicted for a Q4 2005 release in the US for some time, with Electronic Arts having already announced that ‘Xenon’ skus of its biggest franchises will ship alongside the next current-generation versions.

PlayStation 2 had a huge lead on Xbox, but Microsoft execs have repeatedly stated that the company will not be beaten to market next time around.

With PS3 looking unlikely to launch in Europe before the autumn of 2006 at the earliest, Microsoft is powerfully placed to seize the initiative right across the West and finally offer a serious challenge to Sony’s next system.

Not a good idea. They won't be able to have enough units ready to satisfy demand. They should rather focus on getting as big a lead in one market as possible.

I thought Qroach suggested that they will launched first in Japan. Well at least Japan before Europe. America is no brainer.

Not surprising given that EA European Xbox2 release list that was leaked a while back. I'm half expecting them to start manufacturing quite early, probably around May.

V3 said:
I thought Qroach suggested that they will launched first in Japan. Well at least Japan before Europe. America is no brainer.

Why would MS launch in Japan first? Unless they get some major Japanese games and developers under their belt, they might as well stick to the US and wait till they have decent games that the Japanese market will be interested in.

cybamerc said:
Not a good idea. They won't be able to have enough units ready to satisfy demand. They should rather focus on getting as big a lead in one market as possible.

What demand? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

just kidding

cybamerc said:

Wouldn't lead time between production and release play a factor?

cybamerc said:
DaveBaumann said:
Sure. But I doubt production is starting any time soon.

Why? i was thinking that for a console launch production and stockpiling were starting around 6 months before ?

PatrickL said:
cybamerc said:
DaveBaumann said:
Sure. But I doubt production is starting any time soon.

Why? i was thinking that for a console launch production and stockpiling were starting around 6 months before ?

We still have no word on the CPU or the GPU, it's strange how there is more information on a console being released in 2 years time than one being released this xmas. My take is, Xbox2 is not coming out as soon as most people think, and PS3 is not coming out as late as most people think. ;)

This is great news.

I am very happy to be proved wrong, but I believe this is a mistake, unless the hardware is priced at $199.

If it is at the $199 price point, with Harddrive version at $299, then there is a chance that MS will steal the next generation out from under Sony's nose, whilst they were dicking around with the PSP.

But on the other hand the PS3 is going to be at least 3 times as powerful as the Xbox2.

One thing is for sure the Xbox1 is dead, I hope the new owners from Christmas 2004 are happy with the short shelf life of their console.

PatrickL said:
Yeah, but that barely results in enough units for one territory.

cybamerc said:
PatrickL said:
Yeah, but that barely results in enough units for one territory.

Well that depends on how quickly they can manufacture the console. Since it's possible to manufacture it in different locations, starting 6 months before could give them the time they need. The only question is how fast can the cpu and gpu be manufactured.

It depends. I VERY much doubt PS2 and especially PSP were being produced and stockpiled 6 months in advance.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz is also reporting it. They are even more specific, quoting the timeframe as October or November. Gamesindustry also took a tiny swipe:

A Microsoft spokesman characteristically swatted away any next gen talk: "Microsoft has not made any announcements regarding the next generation. We are currently very focused on further building the success of the Xbox console today and are not speculating on timing for a future version."

However, it must be noted that with the current lack of Xbox console stock still proving to be a huge problem for retailers and the future Xbox first party release schedule having almost completely dried up, it's an interesting comment for Microsoft to make at the point when every publisher and their dog are busy leaking Xbox 2 software information.

What is the configuration of the most current Xbox2 Dev kit and how telling is that WRT how close it is to being production ready?

Back